Whole 30 approved protein powders

Kabhill

Am getting very tired of eggs so made some coconut and almond milk to use for smoothies.  Now I'm looking at all the protein powders and am having trouble finding one that is Whole 30 compliant.  Anyone find something to add protein to smoothies?

• Moderators

There is no such thing as a compliant protein powder because we want you eating real food, not drinking smoothies.

You don't need to eat eggs for breakfast, anything you eat for any other meal can be eaten at breakfast.

I don't like eggs much so often my breakfasts are compliant sausage and a bunch of left over roasted veggies and some added fat.

My nephew (follows a mostly w30 diet) eats leftovers on a regular basis. I have a mental block on that for breakfast.

There are plenty of egg free compliant breakfasts that are not smoothies out there. Eggs is often a problematic breakfast because it's a common allergen. I'm sure Google will provide lots of results for compliant non egg breakfasts

I've not eaten eggs alone for breakfast in two years.  Food boredom is real and you don't want to eat the same foods day in and day out for weeks on end.  Protein powders are made from manufactured denatured protein. There is nothing in a dry powder that can replicate actual proteins from real food. 

A Whole 30 will require cooking proteins.  Fish, poultry, beef, pork and so on.  The greater the variety, the quicker the results can be seen.  Internal and external.  

• 1 month later...

Even if you use the entire egg in a smoothie, that's a violation?  You can buy whole egg powder - ie, yolks and all.

There is no such thing as a compliant protein powder because we want you eating real food, not drinking smoothies.

You don't need to eat eggs for breakfast, anything you eat for any other meal can be eaten at breakfast.

• Moderators

We don't want people drinking their food, it messes with satiety signals and hormones. Yes, there are 'technically compliant' powders out there but they don't fit into 'don't drink your food' so no, we don't want people having egg powder protein smoothies...

• Moderators

Check the 'Can I Have' link in my signature below. It's not technically a rule, it's a recommendation, so if people want to have a smoothie, as long as it's compliant, it's not breaking the rules but we STRONGLY advise against it... it will make you hungry two hours (or less) later, be a huge sugar hit to your body, spike your blood sugar, mess with your hormones and it's not anywhere near a template meal so... ya... we don't endorse it but it's not breaking the 'rules'.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Vital Proteins collagen peptides are officially whole30 approved.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. There's an official Whole30 Approved designation given by Whole30 to certain products that meet their standards. You can see the current list of all of those products here. Maybe I missed it, but I don't see Vital Proteins listed there.

Sometimes the word "approved" gets used simply to mean that a product is compliant with the Whole30 rules. The Vital Proteins collagen peptides do seem to be compliant. However, that doesn't mean that they're a substitute for eggs or meat or fish. They're basically a gelatin that doesn't gel, so they can be mixed into food or drink without changing the texture. That is not a substitute for real, actual food, it is at most a supplement to be used in addition to food.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. There's an official Whole30 Approved designation given by Whole30 to certain products that meet their standards. You can see the current list of all of those products here. Maybe I missed it, but I don't see Vital Proteins listed there.

Sometimes the word "approved" gets used simply to mean that a product is compliant with the Whole30 rules. The Vital Proteins collagen peptides do seem to be compliant. However, that doesn't mean that they're a substitute for eggs or meat or fish. They're basically a gelatin that doesn't gel, so they can be mixed into food or drink without changing the texture. That is not a substitute for real, actual food, it is at most a supplement to be used in addition to food.

I mean that I have a jar of it, which I add to my coffee, and it has a "whole30 approved" logo on the side of the cannister. That list in the link doesn't contain nutpods coffee creamer, which has been approved, so I wonder if it hasn't been updated recently.

• Moderators

I mean that I have a jar of it, which I add to my coffee, and it has a "whole30 approved" logo on the side of the cannister. That list in the link doesn't contain nutpods coffee creamer, which has been approved, so I wonder if it hasn't been updated recently.

That's good to know -- clearly they're behind in getting the website updated.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived