Exactly how do you use coconut milk in your coffee?

I hear people talking about using coconut milk in their coffee.

Exactly how do you do this?

Quantities? Hot coffee? Hot coconut milk? The liquid part of the coconut milk or the solid part?

I haven't gotten to something I'm satisfied with, but I also haven't tried very hard.

The liquid part of the coconut milk or the solid part?

I like my coconut milk one creamy single consistency. If I buy a can and it's seperated (you can tell by shaking it ususally) I stand it it a jug of warm water. Cocount fat melts at 26c :) then I pour in to a storage container (an old protein shaker) and store this in the fridge for my coffee. Make coffee in coffee machine and slowly pour the coconut milk on top, mine is usually thick enough to sit in a thick layer on the top. I prob use 2 tablespoons worth in a mug.

I live in an area with hot summers and haven't had to deal with my coconut milk solidifying yet (except in the fridge), but my advice is the same as Derval's. I use even more coconut milk though -- I like the floaty layer of coconut milk "foam" on top, it's very latte-like. I have never had problems with it making pools of oil on my coffee, either. My favorite brand is Aroy-D.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. So many ways :) I've usually stirred the can to homogenize adn then just pour that straight into my hot coffee. I often add cinnamon, just a nice flavor/smell enhancer. Cardamom works well too, but a little goes a long way :).

This morning I just tried skimming some of the solid and using just that. Smoother, and it was funny but when I poured my coffee out of my thermos, after the usual bumpy bike ride in, it poured in stripes! Super creamy (looked like I'd poured in a quarter cup of creamer) And practically still black. Odd, but it all mixed together nicely in my cup.

Coconut is a mysterious and temperamental entity (some cans separate, others don't. Sometimes the cream whips up, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the butter softens easily, other times I end up with toasted c-butter :) ) Wonderful in its many various forms I've stopped trying to figure it out. :ph34r:

I found a recipe for a coconut creamer, that I LOVE!

1 egg

I can coconut milk

2 TB of coconut oil

Coconut oil has to be liquid, and you have to be patient.

Start with the egg in the blender (Vitamix) on low speed and then slowly and I mean SLOWLY add the coconut milk, and then add the oil.

I put it in a jar in the fridge and use is all week long. I even take a little jar with me when I meet a friend for coffee!

Here is the link.

http://followingmynose.com/2010/10/a-primal-non-dairy-coffee-creamer/

I found this while researching cold brewed coffee. I don't know I would go back to hot bitter coffee from the french press.

I now cold brew it. It makes a concentrate, I add 1/2 cup of concentrate to 1/2 cup hot water and some coconut creme and I am CRUISING!!

Hope this inspires!

I found a recipe for a coconut creamer, that I LOVE!

1 egg

I can coconut milk

2 TB of coconut oil

Coconut oil has to be liquid, and you have to be patient.

Start with the egg in the blender (Vitamix) on low speed and then slowly and I mean SLOWLY add the coconut milk, and then add the oil.

I put it in a jar in the fridge and use is all week long. I even take a little jar with me when I meet a friend for coffee!

Here is the link.

http://followingmyno...coffee-creamer/

I found this while researching cold brewed coffee. I don't know I would go back to hot bitter coffee from the french press.

I now cold brew it. It makes a concentrate, I add 1/2 cup of concentrate to 1/2 cup hot water and some coconut creme and I am CRUISING!!

Hope this inspires!

That's the recipe I use. Great stuff. :wub:

Archived