Does anyone else feel nervous about fat?

Hi!!

I'm on day 6...But I am so nervous about eating fat...I feel like there's too much...I know they are healthy fats, but we have been taught to avoid fats, so this is so very different...

Today I had 3 eggs sitting on top of kale and onions that were sautéed in ghee, 1/4 of an avocado and 3 strawberries (they were yucky..)

for lunch, some marinated chicken breast, (1.5 cups)ground turkey ghoulash (ground turkey, tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, onions chicken broth and spices), a raw turnip, some raw baby carrots dipped in mustard and a pear

Dinner- salmon filet (baked in ghee, dill, lemon and garlic), and spaghetti squash casserole (spag

squash, olive oil, onions , mushrooms)

Too much? why am I nervous? I feel like I am eating too much, even though I only eat until I'm full.... m I doing this right?

Can anyone help? I'm just REALLY fighting the urge to weigh and measure, cut out fats, and count calories....WHY?!?!?!?

Fat is PHAT!

Basically, a lot of Americans are undernourished because of the fat phobia that has been perpetuated for years. Dietary cholesterol and healthy fat don't have as big a role on heart disease and health as we've been taught. Our diets need fat for essential nutrients and low fat doesn't help.

• Moderators

I can tell you for certain that you have not eaten anywhere NEAR too much fat. We generally don't count the fat in the pan for sauteeing veggies because lots of it is cooked off, left in the pan and split between servings... So for breakfast your fat was 1/4 of an avocado, no fat at lunch and a negligible amount of fat on the salmon at dinner.

This is not nearly... nearly NEARLY enough.

The magic really is in the template and it does not require... no, it bans counting calories, weighing and measuring.

Eat to the template... when eating nutrient dense whole foods it's almost impossible to overeat, especially fats.

Tonight I made my lunch for tomorrow. I use a 3 cup container. Filled it with vegs. Added my protein and spices. Poured on some olive oil. No drizzle for me - I heard a a "glug". This will hold me for a bit over 5 hours until dinner. My energy stays stable and I don't get that hollow,desperate hungry sensation. Fat makes it work.

Are you kidding?! You now not only have permission, but encouragement to eat the most delicious part of the meal! I can honestly say that when I don't add enough fat to a meal, I get hungry way too soon and want to reach for crap. Like now... Ate dinner an hour and a half ago, already hungry and realizing that the meal was too light on fat. All I can think of are the ice cream sandwiches in the freezer...

• Moderators

Are you kidding?! You now not only have permission, but encouragement to eat the most delicious part of the meal! I can honestly say that when I don't add enough fat to a meal, I get hungry way too soon and want to reach for crap. Like now... Ate dinner an hour and a half ago, already hungry and realizing that the meal was too light on fat. All I can think of are the ice cream sandwiches in the freezer...

Don't do it!!!!!!!! ;)

How about the cholesterol in eggs? If I am not wrong, the whole 30 says that you can eat as many eggs you can hold in your hand, 3 to 4 eggs per day!!! Please, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm a first timer here .... Day 9 today!

Someone, please, can help me with that question....

• Moderators

How about the cholesterol in eggs? If I am not wrong, the whole 30 says that you can eat as many eggs you can hold in your hand, 3 to 4 eggs per day!!! Please, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm a first timer here .... Day 9 today!

Someone, please, can help me with that question....

Here is an article written by the founders of the program.

http://whole9life.com/2014/10/truth-cholesterol/

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with you on that OP. I think it's from the fad diet of the 80's/90s where we told fat was bad and people were shovelling down the low-fat products. 

I am still hesitant to add oil to my pan but I'm sure I'll adjust lol. 

Making some ghee tonight!

I'm with you on that OP. I think it's from the fad diet of the 80's/90s where we told fat was bad and people were shovelling down the low-fat products. 

I am still hesitant to add oil to my pan but I'm sure I'll adjust lol. 

Making some ghee tonight!

Most of the oil stays in the pan when you're done cooking. Make sure you *add* fat to your finished plate.

Hello,

I'm new to whole 30 and have a lot of food allergies so I'm having trouble with what fats to add to my diet. I do not tolerate avacado or egg. My only source of fat is oil and occasional use of ghee because I have a mild whey allergy. To top it off I follow AIP due to an autoimmune disease, so no nuts. Any ideas? I'm not sure how I tolerate coconut as I haven't tried it yet and don't know to to incorporate it in my diet

Coconut is a fruit (droop like peaches, if you want technical) so you might do ok with it. Try a little and see, and if you tolerate it ok, you have another fat source.

As for fat, I think there's a recipe for egg free mayo you can use... Also it olives are good fat sources too.

• Moderators

You may need to fall madly in love with olives! Olive oil, Lard, duck fat, tallow, schmaltz... there are AIP recipes for mayo out there in the internet so take a google for some of those... just make sure that they're compliant and don't have added sugar or nasty oils.

I add Macadamia Nut Oil to my green tea and will add it to hot water in the evening if I need to.  It's in addition to other good fats I use.  It's helped me break cycles and get through all kinds of cravings for old trigger foods.   Liquid gold.

MacNut-Oil-Macadamia-Nut-Oil-82466200005

• 2 weeks later...

I just have to chime in and say "YES to all the healthy fats"!!! I have found that when I am not eating grains and dairy I can literally eat as much fat as I want and not gain, and even lose pounds, inches, and/ or bloat. I also agree that when I don't eat enough fat I get hungry faster, find myself wanting to snack it up, and start missing, craving, thinking about carbs. It was the carbs that used to satiate me in a meal, via bread, tortilla, etc. Now it's important that I eat 'some' non-starchy carbs (potato, sweeet potato, lots of veggies, etc) and than also enough healthy fat in the mix to make it a complete and satiating meal. Follow the meal template from the book and you cannot fail!!

And please do stay off the scale. Hide it in the garage or give it to a friend if you think you are going to slip and step on it. Check in with how you FEEL when eating this clean. How are you sleeping? How is your energy level throughout the day? How is your mental clarity? There are so many brilliant and meaningful Non-Scale Victories to be had as long as you are willing to stay true to the program in it's entirety.

• 1 month later...

OP - I also had a similar aversion to fat and an urge to track/measure foods because I am a Weight Watchers lifetime member, and even though I am not actively using the program, so many of the habits are ingrained in us. I was mostly concerned with the saturated fats in Coconut Oil, but a little internet research helped me ease those fears. Check out this article to learn more, and hopefully feel more comfortable too! 

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/10/22/coconut-oil-and-saturated-fats-can-make-you-healthy.aspx

I completed my first Whole 30 a little over two weeks ago. While doing my Whole 30 I was very concerned about the amount of fat I was eating. Or perhaps I should say the noticeable fat. After all I was really was eating it before but I was just not noticing it because of how it was "hidden" in my food. Now that I was preparing all of my meals and they were not hiding bad things for me in the chemicals or the sugar content, etc. I was focusing more on the so called fat content of the increased meat I was eating and the large amount of potatoes. All I can speak to is my personal experience and from that I can say, don't fret on this matter.

What I learned from my Whole 30 is that week 1 was my most time consuming week. Each week got easier to manage because I became more comfortable with the process and was seeing and feeling the results. Literally by day 5 all of my bloating and swelling was gone. Trust the process. Use the recipes in the book, they really are great. For their salad dressings I did use less oil then they suggested and more of the other ingredients just because that worked better for me but that is okay. That is what this is about, finding what works best for you within the guidelines of the parameters. I also made my own clarified butter at home and still do. One package of unsalted butter lasts me two to three weeks and is so easy to do. 

The bottom line in the end is how you will feel both inside and out. My FitBit numbers for sleep showed I was sleeping better. I had blood work done two weeks before I stared the Whole 30 and then a week after I completed my Whole 30. The #'s do not lie. My total cholesterol went from 204 to 159, a 45 point drop. My triglycerides went from 192 to 104, an 88 point drop. My LDL went from 108 to 88, a 20 point drop. I also lost 18 pounds. Clearly the healthy fats consumed during the Whole 30 were not an issue in a negative way. Quite the contrary, I would say they helped me.

Lastly, I will mention, I did not work out at all on the Whole 30. I wanted to see what would happen by only making dietary changes alone. Before Whole 30 I was a grazer and would snack all day long. Ate very poorly. Rarely ate a fruit and had a small selection of vegetables I cared for. The recipes in the Whole 30 book has taught me to like so many vegetables that I never liked before. I am so thankful for this. I also rarely ever snacked throughout this whole process. Once I started eating this way I actually found I wasn't really hungry between meals anymore. That my meals satisfied me. However, once I completed my Whole 30 and have allowed some forms of processed foods back into my life while doing the reintroduction I have felt horrible again. I am hungrier and want to eat more often. I know it is the chemicals in the foods. It is a crazy experience. It has been harder putting "normal" foods back into me post Whole 30 than being on Whole 30 now. I am going back to Whole 30 and staying there as a lifestyle as much is possible because the alternative now is quite disgusting. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on day 17 of my first Whole30 and I love being able to have fat without worry! I've made the mayonnaise twice and LOVE it - I don't think I'll ever buy it again. I made clarified butter that lasted for 2 weeks, and I'm going to make some more this weekend. I cook with coconut oil and use olive oil on all of my salads. I drink my coffee with coconut milk, and drizzle some on blueberries too. 

I feel fantastic. Not sure if I've lost any weight, but I feel more comfortable in my skin. I am sleeping well and have energy to last me through the day. My skin is clear, and I've gotten rid of a lot of bloat. 

At this point I am thinking that this is a great lifestyle change for me - I'll do the slow roll reentry and see what I'd like to add back into my diet. 

• 9 months later...
On 12/04/2016 at 2:35 AM, Yankeesfan said:

Hi!!

I'm on day 6...But I am so nervous about eating fat...I feel like there's too much...I know they are healthy fats, but we have been taught to avoid fats, so this is so very different...

Can anyone help? I'm just REALLY fighting the urge to weigh and measure, cut out fats, and count calories....WHY?!?!?!?

I know this was written almost a year ago but trying to keep forums stream lined ;). i'm on day 5 of my first whole 30 and omg! im so so so stressed about the fat! i am just freaking out about the fat. years and years of binging and yoyo dieting has deeply engrained fat phobia and fattier meat cuts phobia and i just cant get past this. it's making me so nervous and worried.

i've read it all starts with food and am halfwaythrough food freedom forever but i still cant get past this!!!

to complicate my worries of all this fat, my no sugar, very low carb (i dont think my body recognizes veggies as carbs lol) meals have me starving!!!! today i ate a half of chicken! a whole half of a chicken!!!! whhhhaaaat?!!!! along with potato with ghee and a whole huge artichoke.

the past few days i dont think i ate enough at meals and was feeling hungry so ate a snack of cashews. i realized that i have started using cashews almost like a crutch for my lack of sugary snacks. :/

i'm feeling verydiscouraged :( whereas i just want to be proud of myself for making it through 5 days. i think my diet mentality is abot to get the best of me.

• Moderators

Okay, first, welcome.. second, take a deep breath... okay?

Your low fat, low carb eating plans have got your body used to being hungry... when you start feeding yourself real food, your body throws a little parade and then keeps demanding it... it wants as much as you'll give it because it doesn't know when you're going to stop again... so honor that hunger and eat.

Fat will not make you fat or sick.  You're right that it's been ingrained for years but we're here to help you break that curse and understand that fat is just food... just like meat and veggies and fruit are food.  Packaged 100 calorie 'crisps' are not food, diet soda isn't food.... none of that diet food 'food' is food... Your body is digging this, keep at it!

If you would like some directed feedback on your meal composition, please list out what you've been eating for the last 3-4 (or 5) days.... include portion sizes related to the meal template (oz mean nothing to us), specific veggies, protein and fats, water intake, exercise etc... plus anything you feel is relevant like high levels of stress or trouble sleeping etc.

Also, while you're getting your meals figured out, put down the cashews and eat between meals if you need to... that's protein and fat (not nuts or their products) and ideally veggies... meatballs and mayo, sliced cooked chicken and avocado etc... nuts are not ideal fat source and as you've already realized they can cause other problems like propping up a sugar dragon and becoming food without breaks for many... 

Lets help you work to making this work becauase the 'diet mentality' is not going to get you anywhere good... but you already know that ;)

5 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Thank you so much for such a quick and thoughtful and helpful response. I fell asleep on you lol. Think we're not in same time zone ;)

Your low fat, low carb eating plans have got your body used to being hungry... when you start feeding yourself real food, your body throws a little parade and then keeps demanding it... it wants as much as you'll give it because it doesn't know when you're going to stop again... so honor that hunger and eat.

My low carb and low fat meal plans are much less common than my eat everything in sight unless it's green binging periods. I typically eat a TON, like 3 grown men. I've always eaten like this- my parents used to think it was funny because i was scrawny and ate like an gre. then my highschool friends thought it was cute because i was so trim and lived on reeses, coke,  and mall food. I was very very active. These eating habits followed me into adulthood where i also used food as a comfort, for being away from my family and friends and language and well, roots. During my pregnancies I gained 50 pounds (most went aya) and 35 pounds (most didnt). And ever since my binging habits have had me creeping ever upward on scale and trying to curb that with different diets (fad crazy and more serious, like weight watchers...)

I'm often in a sort of reactional hypoglycemia and the vicious cycle just perpetuates itself.

All that to say i think my body's much more used to hyper carbsumption and hyperfat hyperprocessed junk than the low fat, low carb. I feel like that's why i cant feel full, you know?

My body is screaming for some sugar or cake or something consistent to feel full, you know? Or maybe my teenager brain. I'm definitely acting like a teenager these days :P actually, that's an insult to the entire teenage population. i'm acting like, well like someone going through sugar withdrawal lol

If you would like some directed feedback on your meal composition, please list out what you've been eating for the last 3-4 (or 5) days.... include portion sizes related to the meal template (oz mean nothing to us), specific veggies, protein and fats, water intake, exercise etc... plus anything you feel is relevant like high levels of stress or trouble sleeping etc.

I would love some feedback. I'm 5' tall and truly honestly i can only fit 2 eggs in my hand without dropping one - promise!

I have been tracking on my fitness pal because i felt i needed to with what for me is a loosy goosy eating regimen (again, diet mentality - when dieting i must be structured, as i sure am not when binging!)

i decided yesterday to stop tracking. it's only making me nervous, adding extra work, and whereas not officially ixnayed by the whole30, probably not in the spirit!

so as i make big dishes and noone here will eat them but me...really? what? why do you not want this, just cause it has pumpkin in it...? sheeeeesh! anyhow, big dishes split over several days so i am eating same thing several days in a row which makes this easy lol. easy to write out but also easier for me to manage because idont have to stress and slave in kitchen. i do feel i'm using a ton of energy thinking out my plans and cooking and shopping....planning is not my forté!!!! nor is research! i looked through several whole 30 blogs though and found some recipes that sounded good and made those.

so wed - sat

breakfast = a four inch square portion of a ham and veggie breakfast casserole (12 eggs for 8 portions = 1.5 eggs plus ham for protein. oil for sauteeing veggies and coconut cream whipped up with eggs) plus a tea, sometimes a fruit

lunch = 1/4 of a cookie sheet of veggie chicken sheet pan (all kinds of veggies + chicken and polish sausage slices) +/- a fruit

dinner = spiced pumpkin no bean chili with greens and coconut milk (1 tbsp)

in between both lunch and dinner i had a handful of cashews and / or macadamia nuts

i noticed the handfuls getting bigger and becoming 2 handfuls...

sunday i had casserole for bkfst again

the aforementioned whole half a chicken (i ate the skin, a weakness and it was raised by our cousins - out in open, running and pecking around...) plus artichoke + potatoe (1/2 potatoe with 1 tsp ghee and 1/4 sweet potato with 1 tsp coconut oil)

dinner was my last portion of chili (thank goodness lol)

i really dont mind eating same things several days in a row but the pumpkin chilli wasnt my fave ;)

phew ! i guess that's all. oh, i have noticed when i eat a banana i feel more satiated than any other time sinse ive been doing whole 30. but somehow feel i shouldnt be doing bananas... again that stinkin' diet mentality.

Also, while you're getting your meals figured out, put down the cashews and eat between meals if you need to... that's protein and fat (not nuts or their products) and ideally veggies...

done! does this mean i have to start over sans nuts? or should i just keep going from here ( day 6 today)

Lets help you work to making this work becauase the 'diet mentality' is not going to get you anywhere good... but you already know that ;)

can i say thank you again? thank you!!! i feel so supported! i feel ready to tackle this today!!!! i'm off to eat version 2 of my breaky casserole ;) i think i'll add in a banana and 1/4 avocado! is that better? or am i in overkill now lol

sheesh what a transition!

Archived