Salad made me feel awful?

Last night I had a HUGE salad with my dinner (chicken thighs & roasted brussel sprouts). It was an entire head of romaine lettuce mixed with slivered almonds and homemade vinaigrette of compliant dijon, apple cider vinegar and olive oil. I literally felt awful later. I felt like I had completely gorged myself on pasta or something carb heavy...what gives? 

I was using the oil in my vinaigrette + almonds as my fat source which I know is not ideal, but I REALLY need to go grocery shopping so it was all I had! My chicken thigh was palm size and I had about a heaping cup of roasted brussel sprouts. The salad was mixing bowl size. 

Does lettuce have this reaction on anyone else? 

...what gives? 

Sprouts  ;)

I'm more inclined to think the sprouts caused you to feel like you'd gorged on pasta as they are notoriously hard to digest due to the sulphur content, the sugar content, and the fact that they are a cruciferous veg - triple whammy!!

I seriously doubt it was the lettuce.

Sprouts  ;)

I'm more inclined to think the sprouts caused you to feel like you'd gorged on pasta as they are notoriously hard to digest due to the sulphur content, the sugar content, and the fact that they are a cruciferous veg - triple whammy!!

I seriously doubt it was the lettuce.

Hmm weird because I eat those daily with no side effects! 

Hmm weird because I eat those daily with no side effects! 

Yes, but what we eat has a cumulative effect on our bodies. If you're eating them daily it's possible you reached your bodies threshold - over exposure of any food can result in some level of intolerance.

ETA: Of course raw veg is also notoriously hard on the digestive system - you said the salad was HUGE - it could just be that you ate too much <shrugs>

Yes, but what we eat has a cumulative effect on our bodies. If you're eating them daily it's possible you reached your bodies threshold - over exposure of any food can result in some level of intolerance.

ETA: Of course raw veg is also notoriously hard on the digestive system - you said the salad was HUGE - it could just be that you ate too much <shrugs>

Gotcha! Looks like I'll be cutting back on those sprouts! 

Archived