Antibiotics, Steroids: Looking for a OTC Probiotic

Hello! 

I am on Day 14 of Whole30! Going strong. I unfortunately am suffering from a long term sinus issue which now requires me to take a 'industrial grade' antibiotic paired with a super-steroid. My doctor highly suggested that I eat yogurt with every pill as I have had issues with antibiotics and yeast infections from their strength. Paired with the steroids, I am doomed.

I don't ready know if I think Kombucha will be strong enough or backed enough to help me with this. I don't really enjoy sauerkraut/other fermented foods.

After reviewing a few brand/ingredients, many have gelatin, milk, and soy in the OTC forms. 

Does anyone know a specific brand that is 'W30 Approved' for use? I need to start taking these ASAP!

Thanks!

Recovered from chronic sinusitis over here, so know exactly how you feel! Antibiotics and steroids on and off for eight years.

Going grain and dairy free changed everything for me, it's not just the bugs, it's also the gut lining integrity (leaky gut).

You may want to go longer than 30 days, if you're still on both.

I found kombucha worked really well for me, but I find a lot of the fermented veggies too strong (more of a hindrance than a help in any big volume, I have to buy tiny jars). Try some different brands too, I find some better than others. One local ones seems the same to look at and label, but my body doesn't react the same to it as all the others (normally feels a bit "happy" when I have it, this brand, zero reaction).

Most of the "pill" form ones aren't that great (many are also dairy based, so make sure they are dairy free) unless they're kept in the fridge.

The gelatin is fine in any supplement :)

I totally am with you on fermented foods. I don't like them much at all (altough some variations of sauerkraut I like... Not enough to eat a lot of, but occasionally.) I love kombucha. Maybe look into water/coconut kefir? It's dairy free and probiotic and you may be able to find recipes online to make it yourself if you want

• Moderators

I started taking Prescript-Assist whenever I had to take antibiotics. P-A is an excellent source of probiotics in pill form. Months ago I started taking Primal Flora every day even though I was already eating sauerkraut and drinking kombucha. I found that it made a noticeable difference. After 4-6 months I am now skipping taking a supplement some days. Bottom line, I am supportive of taking a probiotic supplement even if you have a good fermented food diet. And you could use a compliant supplement in place of yogurt.

Thank you all so much! After some research, I was able to find a strong (and compliant) supplement! It seems to be working okay so far, although only 2 days in, 8 to go with this combination! I seem to be having some acid reflux/heartburn type reaction since adding this into my diet. Hopefully that will subside when I can discontinue.

Kombucha was okay, although I find myself reminiscing about my college days with Arbor Mist in hand.  

Thanks again!

Renew Life Ultimate Flora Vaginal Support Probiotic Capsules

Contains NO GMOs, wheat, gluten, soy, dairy, eggs, shellfish, tree nuts, or artificial ingredients.
Manufactured in a GMP facility.

Ingredients:

Ultimate Flora Vaginal Blend: Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Lactobacillus Gasseri, Lactobacillus Casei,
Lactobacillus Paracasei, Lactobacillus Salivarius, Lactobacillus Brevis. Total Lacto Probiotic Cultures: Bifidobacterium Lactis, Bifidobacterium Longum. 
Other Ingredients: Vegetable Capsule (Vegetable Fiber and Water), Cellulose.

Day 16 and going strong! 

Sometimes acid reflux is caused by not enough acid so taking a shot of Apple cider vinegar or even straight up lemon helps. Sometimes. Other times it needs to be neutralized which means something basic like baking soda in water. Hope that helps and that this round of antibiotics/probiotics goes quickly (at least seems quickly) for you.

Archived