Denny's

Paulapes

Scrambled eggs are probably not a good idea. A lot of places put milk in their scrambled eggs. One place puts pancake batter in scrambled. Go for sunny-side up or over easy. Something where's it's just obviously the egg, cooked. The bacon probably has sugar in the cure and the sausage probably has sugar too :( 

You'll also need to find out what kind of oil they use for cooking everything.

• Moderators

This is an opportunity for you to become wise to the ways of the world. You cannot trust that one Denny's is like every other Denny's. One might use soybean oil and another might use canola oil. One might routinely prepare scrambled eggs a certain way and another might not. Actually, you cannot always trust that one shift of cooks will perform the same as another shift. Back when I ate most of my meals in restaurants, I can verify that food tasted different depending upon who was in the kitchen, even at national chain restaurants. There is so substitute for asking questions at the restaurant you are in. The only real help you can get here is in thinking about what questions to ask.

Thank you everyone!

I decided to eat at home before going to Denny's. The Denny's ingredient chart did not look good. While there- I had a black coffee, fruit, and water.

I had a mother/daughter date and thought I would take her to restaurant, but as she she was eating I was wondering why I was allowing her to unhealthy when I am making better choices. :(

I am on day four. This is learning experience. I did ask the waitress what kind of oil they use to cook and if they add milk to the eggs. It was a huge eye opener. They use pasteurized eggs from a carton and butter oil for cooking. Olive oil wasn't even an option. So glad I asked questions and so glad I ate a healthy meal before I went.

• Moderators

I don't know where you live, but you can probably find restaurants that are a better fit for a Whole30 than Denny's. Even an independently owned diner type place may be better able to accommodate requests for different oils, or scrambled eggs with no added stuff -- plan ahead, call them beforehand and discuss it.

Or you might find other ways to have that mother-daughter time. Go to a museum, go people watch at the mall, attend a sporting event, play mini golf, go to the park for a picnic, get pedicures, find a local place that offers craft classes of some sort. All sorts of options that could get you that quality time with her, without either of you eating unhealthy foods.

I told her I would take her out to eat breakfast before it dawned on me that I would be restricted. I am one to not take back. It was a great learning experience and a huge eye opener that it's not just me who I need to work on. Since this will be a lifestyle change I need to guide them in that direction also.

Mother/daughter dates next time will involve something else. Thank you so much for your options!

Archived