Whole 30 after Gastric Sleeve

I have had Gastric Sleeve done 2.5 years ago.  I am gaining weight back, coupled with Psoriatic Arthritis i really want to get on a better eating regiment.  My question is this.  I feel better when I graze throughout the day.  Eating large portions really hurt my stomach.  I also get a lot of pain when I eat to many raw vegees.  Is anyone in this same boat or have any good suggestions for me.  Working FT with a debilitating disease doesn't leave me a lot of energy to prepare food daily.  TIA...

• Moderators

Because people who have had gastric sleeve typically can't eat as much, the three meals a day, no snacking recommendation doesn't apply. However, that doesn't mean grab a handful of this and a little of that every time you walk past the fridge, either. You may have to play with your portion sizes to find what works well for you, but keep in mind that you still need to end up eating the equivalent of three template meals each day. You may be dividing each in half and eating six meals a day, but you still need to get in that minimum amount of food to get all the nutrients you need to be able to do all the things you do in life. 

When you eat, however many meals you end up needing to eat, have a mix of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three. Nuts and seeds are a fat source, but they cause digestive issues for many people, so I wouldn't depend on them as your main fat source. Try avocado or olives or coconut, mayo, oils, or oil- or mayo-based sauces and dips

Definitely don't have raw vegetables if they cause you issues. Cooked vegetables are absolutely fine. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had sleeve gastrectomy five years ago, but due to poor eating choices, have since stretched my sleeve out and regained quite a bit. However, I typically still have to split my meals into smaller, more frequent, portion sizes as I tend to get full quickly and then hungry again in about 3 hours. Ultimately it looks a lot like grazing, and for good reason-- my grazing choices in the past have not been the best choices-- not enough protein and hearty vegetables, too many snack and convenience foods.

I think this w30 challenge is going to be just the "reset button" I've needed to embrace to get back to where I need to be.

It would be interesting, Adnorl, to share in our respective progress and non-scale victories.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

I had vsg a year and a half ago l had good weight loss however I didn't learn how to eat healthy. That's the reason for whole 30 for me. I was also wondering about the food intake as I can only eat about 5-6 oz per serving but I do notice that when I follow the template I do stay full 4-5 hours .. Is it ok that my intake is so small or do I have to up my meals?

If you have a reduced stomach capacity due to any kind of surgery, you don't need to stick to the 3-meals-per-day if that doesn't work for your stomach.

Stick to the template ratios and experiment with meal sizes and timing until you find you can last between meals without wanting to "snack". Some people are okay with 3 meals, others may need 6.

Try to avoid eating too many unbalanced snacks (not template ratios), it makes it harder to find your balance :)

Archived