I'm crying... Thanks a lot, Ikea!

abi2001

I am proudly at Day 21 and feeling amazing. I have been 100% compliant and doing everything right.

Then we went to Ikea tonight for shopping.

We had to eat dinner and I remembered they have smoked salmon with shredded root veggies in the cold case area. I've had smoked salmon while on the Whole30...so I was stupid and assumed their smoked salmon was safe.

Upon leaving Ikea I thought about buying the salmon that I had in the diner because they sold it frozen in the market area.

Boom! It had 5g of sugar!!

I lost it. I ran to the bathroom and bawled...

Only 9 days to go. I was looking forward to a relaxing camping trip that was coming up. I was looking forward to a relaxing Mother's Day. I would take everything I had learned, do the reintroductions, and be aces by mid-May.

And now I've blown it all. And I'm so depressed!!

Sorry for whining...

• Moderators

Okay... take a deep breath!

Was there sugar in the ingredients or just in the nutritional panel? The ingredient list is king on Whole30 and if no sugar is listed, then you're clear... everything we eat has 'some' naturally occurring sugar....

You can also google and read the following article (I can't link but if you put the below in your search engine, you'll find it).

Do I really have to start over Whole30.

Read that and then make a decision about your best course of action.

YOUR FINE, RELAX..  Carry on.. .    I've seen these mods say many times an accidental sugar intake  happens and just to carry on..   Don't let  this way of eating have such a heavy effect on you..  its not healthy!

Here's the thing...

My hubby noticed they carry 3 different smoked salmon.

Two have sugar in the ingredients list (not just in nutritional info), the other doesn't.

Now we're debating whether I had the one with no sugar added. My hubby thinks I had the compliant one, but he's my biggest cheerleader and I think he's just trying to make me feel better.

I am 80% certain I had a non-compliant version because it was "lemon seasoned" in the diner and the one in question in the market was "lemon marinated."

I am a Type A perfectionist personality. When I commit or set my mind to something, I'm all in with no excuses.

This uncertainty is bugging the you-know-what out of me...and I don't know what to do...

The food and restrictions aren't what bothers me. It's the fact we travel a lot and I can't find compliant foods available. I even go as far as making salads (usually grilled chicken mixed with beets, potatoes, and onions with rice vinegar and olive oil drizzled over it) and take them everywhere we go. Thank goodness for coolers. My family eats other meals, and I end up eating alone. I'm not going to stop them due to my diet.

This inflexibility is what I'm looking forward to getting a break from.

And that's why I'm soooooo bummed...

• Moderators

YOUR FINE, RELAX..  Carry on.. .    I've seen these mods say many times an accidental sugar intake  happens and just to carry on..   Don't let  this way of eating have such a heavy effect on you..  its not healthy!

No, we don't. We send the member to the article mentioned above and ask them to make the decision for themselves.

This 'way of eating' is supposed to be strict for the 30 days so that people can get a proper gut reset as well as learn about how much of the food we eat has additives and preservatives in them... among other things. We WANT people to care about what they put in their mouths and while we don't want people crying in IKEA, the point is that we can't just assume because we ate something somewhere that was fine that it's fine everywhere.

To the OP, did you check out the article? I know that the perfectionism gene is strong in some but a small amount of ingested sugar is not going to undo the gut healing that has been going on. What it MAY do is wake up your sugar dragon, so thats something you need to decide for yourself, we can't tell you how your body is going to react to that sugar.

The most important thing to know is that you don't need to beat yourself up about this... we all slip and make mistakes and no one is perfect... so go have a read of that article mentioned above and let us know what you're going to do. Whatever you decide, that will be supported here :)

Thank you all. I will read the article and go from there. (Thank you for the link, ShannonM816.)

I am calmer now. I need to learn to let it go, but I'm used to being in complete control of pretty much all aspects of my being, and not having the nutritional info available to make an intelligent decision means I lost that control...and made a stupid mistake.

I've never really had much of a Sugar Dragon, so denying myself of any sugar has been relatively easy. I am much more aware of what's out there though and that is why I've not eaten anything more than a plain salad with oil and vinegar on the side at any restaurants (I won't trust that any chicken put on said salads is compliant).

My hubby insists I finish out the remaining days and not start over. Perhaps if the salmon did have added sugar, I will be feeling it soon. Lol!

I will read the link/article posted and move on.

Thank you all again.

I need to learn to let it go, but I'm used to being in complete control of pretty much all aspects of my being

I think this is one of the hardest things we human beings encounter -- the fact that we cannot control everything in our lives. It sure stresses me out when something happens that is beyond my control. I have been working on how I respond to such situations for decades now. I'm getting better, but it's not easy. Wishing you fewer tears in the future!

Hmmm... not sure how to put the ID part at the top of the quote. Guess I've never done that before!

• Moderators

Hmmm... not sure how to put the ID part at the top of the quote. Guess I've never done that before!

If you click the Quote button on the message you want to quote, it automatically puts that information at the top. It will pull the whole message, but you can go in and delete whatever parts you don't want -- just be sure you don't delete past the beginning or end of quote box or you'll delete the formatting commands and it'll look weird.

I am 3 days post Ikea drama...and I've now decided to just move on.

I read the article and then decided to see if I'd feel any differently or develop any cravings as a result of the salmon. Pending a couple of days, I'd then decided if I should start over.

I understand that the risk of consuming any sugar (even accidentally) is the chance of reawakening the Sugar Dragon, in which case a restart would be absolutely necessary.

Well, I didn't have the first craving or ill effect as a result. So either the salmon in the restaurant wasn't one of the two with the added sugar, or I've defeated the Sugar Dragon altogether and it didn't faze me because it couldn't.

Either way, I feel amazing!

Thank you all for listening and the support!

Hi Abi2001,

It was nice reading through this post tonight. I accidentally ate some sugar tonight as well. As this is my second Whole30 I know they accidental 1/2 bite won't affect me, but I like doing things 100%. Glad to see that someone else is similar, but also able to let it go. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived