100+ pounds to lose - HELP with symptoms

I am starting day 8 today... And I have done this program flawlessly for the most part. Definitely have not eaten anything knowingly off program. I am severely overweight and have several autoimmune diagnoses... Have been about as down as I could possibly be. But, have incredible resolve now... I am in the zone with taking care of myself. I had been in the hospital with asthma and a nasty virus two weeks ago and when I got home started eating Paleo for the first time in my life... Loved it and then a week later started a Whole30. So, I was off sugar and most grains prior to starting. I had been on massive doses of diuretics in the hospital so was at a really dry weight when I started all of this. I have slowly been picking up fluid since being out of the hospital, but yesterday, day 7, I put on a lot of fluid weight. I could tell in my feet and legs. I reviewed what I ate yesterday and really no different than any other day... And, my body is not changing at all... I did cave in and weighed myself (I know I know... I will NOT do it again) mod edit to remove scale results I am trying so hard not to look at this for weight loss... I really started out looking at this as a powerful lifestyle changing tool... And a new way of life... But slowly over the last 2 weeks I keep getting a little more obsessed with the weight loss because I don't feel it happening, regardless of the scale, I don't feel different in my clothes. Anyway... I am most worried about the inflammation at this point... Is it something I'm not tolerating or really just to be expected as everything is adjusting? I do have a very unhealthy body... And I didn't get this way overnight... I have looked and looked for info about morbidly obese people on this program to gain insight on how long it really takes to turn around body processes... Just haven't been able to find it, so thought I would reach out here... Hopefully someone has had a similar journey. Thank in advance for any insights.

Hi, JanVan!  Can you post a day or two of your meals?  That way the mods can chime in on how you're eating.  Also, it can take time for things to start looking up.  I think you're right about it being expected as "everything is adjusting."  For me, my skin breaks out and my mood is pretty erratic for the first couple of weeks, and then things start to get better.  Hang in there, it really is worth it!   ;)

Thanks Raven... Sure I will post my typical day of eating...

Breakfast: I hate eggs! So, I have been having sausage that we made ourselves to assure there was no sugar added. And a bowl of veggies with it... Kale, onion, and whatever else is in the frig veggie wise... And then sometimes a dollop of sauerkraut.... And a small handful of roasted pepitos... I roast myself with EVOO and small amount of salt.

Lunch: Usually a ground meat over a bed of cauliflower rice and then maybe some carrots on the side.... Or I made a kitchen sink soup with either ground pork or ground beef and then just add whatever veggies in the frig... Lots of herbs and spices, use chicken broth with NO sugar) as the base... And yes, i have meticulously checked all the ingredient list of my spices... So frustrated by the sugar added in almost all combos so I've had to replace those.

Dinner: I usually make a meal from scratch from one of the cookbooks I've acquired or online... Mostly from the Whole30 book at this point, but also from Well Fed... Making some fit Whole30. I made beef stroganoff the other day... With cashew cream for the sauce... On a bed of zoodles.

For snacks I will have a kiwi or strawberries or raspberries... But usually just once a day... I have done that twice a few times I guess this week. And, I have grabbed a handful of roasted pecans or pepitos... But have had to watch that as I was just grabbing several times a day... Out of habit. I now put a small handful In a bowl and walk away from the supply... But I did do that on SAturday when I roasted them, and wondered about the nuts causing some inflammation in the higher quantity than usual. I steered clear yesterday but wondered if that was the trigger for the inflammation? They really hit the spot when there is a craving... Don't really know why as I didn't even salt them. Thankfully I really have no sugar cravings.... I think because I was off all sugar at least for a full week before starting my Whole30.

Well thats about it! Any insights would be GREAT... Thanks.

Whatever you used to do,  don't do that anymore.    If it didn't work in the past and you want lasting results,  adopt gentle changes for the  permanent WIN.

Don't gauge yourself by anyone here or make comparisons.  You can't.   With your medical conditions you need to continue working with them as you go along.  Legs/fluid.   There were some here who've dropped it like it was hot only to find all of it back again.  They were here strictly for the 'side effects' of weight loss and continued on with a dieting mentality.  Secretly or openly,  dieting.

That will not work. 

Dialing it down from template...that will not work.   Extremes create extremes and more is not better. Whole 30 will work if you work it correctly.  Gentle change.  Goooo ever soooo sloooowly.  

You absolutely have to get the scale out of your house.  We know exactly where we're at based on our clothes and gear.  It's enough.  Anything more and it's a set up for discouragement and defeat. This will probably take longer than a year to accomplish.

I did it.  I found weight stability.  There will be some rough turbulence and when it feels like all of the rivets are popping loose from the plane...don't be afraid to ask for help.  Counseling and a different perspective to help get you through it.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. I use music as a huge part of my recovery from dieting.  Find exercise and activities that you really enjoy.  You're going to need them as you tool along.

The number one reason all diets fail is that they are implemented so brutally strict right out of the gate.

Every part of a person's being rebels fairly quickly.   The Shock and Awe approach does not work. It sets up vicious cycles of more binge eating and dieting.

Edge your way down slowly.   You'll have that better shot of getting there and staying there without the pain of withdrawal and the rivets coming loose from turbulence.   Let's just get through today with template, template, template.  It is enough.

Don't forget fat is your friend. It's hard to transition from "fat makes me fat" to "fat fuels my body and helps get rid of fat."

That being said. You've only been doing this 8 days. Look at it as a lifestyle change. Some days are easier than others, especially when moving from a "this is a diet" to "this is my lifestyle"

Choose to think positively even when it's not easy. Instead of saying "can't", say "don't".

Try to make meals that keep you sated until the next meal and avoid eating snacks if you can. If you start getting hungry before a meal, try and stick to two of the macros (veggies, fats, protein). One of the hardest things I've had to learn (with my personal medical conditions) has be to avoid fruits by themselves. If I grab any, I *usually* eat it with my meal or with another fat/protein.

That being said, keep on trucking. Life change doesn't always happen overnight. Remember your body is adjusting to eating this way. Also, my encouragement is to keep drinking water and making sure you get enough salt in your diet. It seems counterintuitive, but sometimes those two things will help with water weight too.

• Moderators

If you have any medical conditions (and it sounds like you might), then your body is very likely going to prioritize healing those over dropping any weight.

Now, of course, that said, you have been doing this for 8 days... yes, take a look at the big picture.  Understand that weighloss is not linear and it is not something that is going to happen overnight.  You are not a 'made for tv movie' where you're overweight before the commercial break and miraculously at a healthy weight after the commercial break.  Work on your body takes time... 

Are you drinking water?  The recommendation is 1/2oz per pound of body weight... do you hit that?

Knock off the nuts and seeds... they're not a good fat source and they're food without brakes for a lot of people along with being hard on digestion.

Add fat to your meals... your lunch has none... avocado, olives, mayo, mayo based sauces... 

Thanks everyone... yes, I truly do know this is a long haul kinda thing. I am in it to win it!!! I just was alarmed about the fluid, but will just relax..... Keep on doing what I'm doing with some adjustments... Uping the water for sure... I walk around with it all day and seem to think I'm drinking a lot... But in reality don't think I am. And, will add more fats to my meals... Boy, that is a tough one to get used to... I have done every single diet known to man for quick and easy weight loss.... I'm not in that mode right now which I am so grateful for... I know this is a lifetime change... And I do know the weight will come as I continue on this journey... AND, I know I will have freak out moments... Thanks for talking me through my first one!!!!!!

Thanks everyone... yes, I truly do know this is a long haul kinda thing. I am in it to win it!!! I just was alarmed about the fluid, but will just relax..... Keep on doing what I'm doing with some adjustments... Uping the water for sure... I walk around with it all day and seem to think I'm drinking a lot... But in reality don't think I am. And, will add more fats to my meals... Boy, that is a tough one to get used to... I have done every single diet known to man for quick and easy weight loss.... I'm not in that mode right now which I am so grateful for... I know this is a lifetime change... And I do know the weight will come as I continue on this journey... AND, I know I will have freak out moments... Thanks for talking me through my first one!!!!!!

When I was diagnosed with diabetes, I had my share of freak out moments. I think everyone does, regardless of diagnosis. It's ok. But you got dis :)

Hi JanVan, I am only finishing up day two of my fist Whole30 so it's obviously still early, but I also have had pretty swollen feet the past couple days which I was hoping would be a fairly immediate symptom to leave with the new diet.  I am also very overweight and have a condition that makes me prone to retain fluid in my legs/feet and swell.  I am definitely not drinking as much water as SugarCubeOD has suggested here.  That is something that I will start tomorrow... just hope that I don't drown!  ;)

As someone who has suffered from a lot of inflammation before finding Whole30, give it time.

Your body needs healing time. If you have a lot to heal you may have a backlog of work for your body to get done before it's concentrating on weight loss. Try not to stress about it, it doesn't help your body.

Relax, eat good food, think good thoughts, get a good night's sleep. If you feel good, go do some exercise.

If you don't, put your feet up and do some meal planning and recipe hunting :) You got this

• 3 weeks later...

JanVan, I'm 61, a diabetic and have fibromyalgia and bad back discs in my lower back.  I also have over 100 pounds to lose - more like 150.  Tomorrow is two weeks for me and I have lost water weight, especially the first week, but what I'm happy about is less pain and swelling in my fingers and feet and my hips.  I'm also very happy about having lots of energy for a change.  I've noticed this week that I've started sleeping better finally too.  I may lose weight eating this way but its worth it just for the pain relief, more energy and better sleep.  I'm sure my whole30 is going to turn into a whole60, whole120, etc, until I feel as good as I think its going to get.  Maybe weight loss will be restlt also.

Archived