not sure what my whole30 plate looks like if I have to add back grains??

Santuccipt

I have done 50 plus days of strict compliance with whole 30. I have had a few non scale victories, the most important for me was not feeling starving all the time and not having sugar highs and lows during the day. The scale was not a victory, but I didn't gain any weight either. However, about a week or two into the program, I started having some weird symptoms with my esophagus, that felt like spasms and a lump in my throat and at the top of my stomach, that fluctuates in location. It could be the onset of some reflux, but we are not really sure. Therefore my G.I. doctor wants to do an endoscopy which is going to cost me lots of money. We agreed that I would spend 3 to 4 weeks adding some things back into my diet to see if the symptoms get better. That being said, I have decided that perhaps increasing my fat and protein level was a little too much for my system to handle, and that could be causing some reflux. Incidentally, my lower G.I. tract has been quite happy on whole 30. This seems to be an upper G.I. issue. My main question is that if I need to add back gluten-free and sugar-free grains to my diet, I'm not really sure what my whole 30 plate looks like? Do I continue to eat the same amounts of protein and fat and carbohydrates on my plate and the grains just take the place of the fruit and veggies? My concern is that if I continue with the whole 30 plate of a fat serving, a protein serving, and carbs in the form of fruits and veggies, that if I add grains to the mix, I am going to gain weight. What does a typical meal look like if I have to add back grains? Do I keep eating the higher fat items I've been eating or is that a recipe for weight gain?

I realize that most people who have heartburn would experience significant improvement on this type of diet. But for whatever reason my upper G.I. track has not liked my whole 30 diet. I'm not sure why. I'm trying to figure it out. The thought is that maybe adding some whole grains back in might help my stomach digest the fats and proteins better? My brain however wants to continue doing whole30 with with some modifications. I just don't find enough information about what whole 30 could look like after a permanent reintroduction of a food group. Can someone help me?

I've tried probiotics, digestive enzymes with minimal changes. I did Prilosec for 10 days and it didn't help much. I'm really frustrated :(((

A non gluten grain would be considered a starch and so take the pace of any starchy veg on your plate - a serving, according to current nutritional guidelines, would be fist sized.

In whole30 terms the recommendation is for one fist sized serving of starchy veg per day - I'd stick with that replacing the starchy veg for the grain & see how you go. 

Archived