Hey everyone.  Day 5 and I am very happy to have less headache to deal with!  I too feel like I missed the KILLallTHEthings phase, or maybe it is lurking around the corner... and I very much want a nap:)

Yesterday was such a struggle, I went from one job to the second one without a break and ate by first lara bar.  I got home at nine and wanted ramen noodles a lot.  A LOT. 

AT job #2 I passed by pizza and whispered "I love you, pizza," with the greatest longing. 

SO at home I ate some of my turkey sausage and made some sauteed zuchinni noodles which I dumped in a bowl of bone broth.  Almost ramen.  Way better for me, at least.

NoMoreCrunchyCravings, doubling my tea/h20 intake helped me a lot to adjust.  I hope you feel it helps too! 

Eusebius, I am stealing your hot plate, that sounds so good.  I need to get into more sweet potatoes I think, eating so much meat and veg has my stomach feeling a little nervous.

I am proud I guess, of not giving up so far even in this super hectic time.  I almost didn't do this, knowing all the things that would be launching this month, but I am resolute:  I want to be as healthy as possible, not propped up by fake energy from stuff that is slowly killing me.  Line in the sugar-sand has been drawn.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I was at choir rehearsal last night eating M3 during a break and about five different people (including kids) told me how great it smelled.  It was a leftover hot plate with ground beef, beans, kale, broccoli, olive oil mayo, onions, garlic, and sweet potatoes.  Win!

Green beans, I hope? Not like navy or pinto or any of those legumes that would be off plan, right?

I started May 1st myself. Awfully glad to meet you all. Day five. The anger has subsided!  My appetite is starting to dwindle sometimes though.  My program was to cook a lot on day 1. Give myself a break for three days, then cook again. I made a huge compliant sausage frittata, no dairy, lots of spinach, tomatoes, garlic, onion, mushrooms. That lasted us four days. Large chicken salad with green onion, olives, cashews, apples, compliant mayo. Could be served straight or in wraps with lettuce. That  has lasted four days.  Made a roast the other night with baby carrots and served with a mustard/horseradish that does not contain sugar. Potatoes are a wonderful relief, but not too many and served with clarified butter. I'm sticking to very small amounts, maybe a couple of times per week. Lots and lots of water. Good luck to all! 

I'm interested to know what you use to make your compliant hummus if not legumes? I've used white beans in the past instead of chickpeas for a change-up but neither are w30 compliant and I'd love to know your trick!

I used zuchinni squash and cashews.  I made my first batch too hot, next one is going to be perfect.

http://www.jaysbakingmecrazy.com/2015/03/12/paleo-whole30-hummus/

I used zuchinni squash and cashews.  I made my first batch too hot, next one is going to be perfect.

http://www.jaysbakingmecrazy.com/2015/03/12/paleo-whole30-hummus/

That hummus sounds great. I'd like to try it. Also, I'm wondering... what is this magical hot pot that people keep talking about???

I'm hungry now and ready for meal #3 but am hesitant because I don't want to burp up sardines for hours and hours like I did yesterday. Maybe I can just have the carrots, some water, my second mini baked yam, and some pepitas for a snack until I get home from work and can gobble down the sashimi-grade salmon I have waiting for me in the fridge. I was going to try to save it until tomorrow so that I could attempt mayo again and use that for a spicy wasabi-mayo to dip the sashimi in, but alas, I may just have to buy more. :)

Sdawson, the hummus sounds awesome, kind of like a nut pate even.

I feel somehow really sleepy but still more energized to get things done, which is pretty great even if my face looks like I am already half asleep all the time.

And weirdly, my teeth really hurt???

I made meatballs myself for the first time yesterday, subbing almond flour for bread crumbs and nutritional yeast for parmesean, and they are pretty damn tasty.

My dog sat by me the entire process with giant puppy eyes. 

Aside from the other benefits, I like that I am cooking more stuff on this plan:)

Sdawson, the hummus sounds awesome, kind of like a nut pate even.

I feel somehow really sleepy but still more energized to get things done, which is pretty great even if my face looks like I am already half asleep all the time.

And weirdly, my teeth really hurt???

I made meatballs myself for the first time yesterday, subbing almond flour for bread crumbs and nutritional yeast for parmesean, and they are pretty damn tasty.

My dog sat by me the entire process with giant puppy eyes. 

Aside from the other benefits, I like that I am cooking more stuff on this plan:)

I wonder if your teeth hurting is coincidental? Or maybe from all of the chewing involved with the increase in meat and roughage? I've been noticing a lot more food getting stuck between my teeth leading to uncomfortable food impactions which require some serious flossing to relieve. Could this be contributing to your discomfort?

Last night was the end of day 2 for me and I wanted to eat ALL THE THINGS! When I got home I set up my salmon sashimi drizzled with sesame oil, opened up a jar of some beautiful Tunisian olives, and a Tupperware with sautéed asparagus/garlic/olive oil and started devouring. However, when that was done I was still so munchy and cravy and kept eyeballing all of the foods in the house that my husband is eating, including snacks and crunchy stuff, going through all of the cupboards several times. I even eyeballed a gallon of milk. LOL

Instead of trying to ignore it, I thought maybe some more fat or fiber would help so I ate an apple with almond butter and surprisingly, it wasn't the almond butter as much as the sweet cold crunch of the apple that helped to satisfy my cravings. I haven't eaten any fruit before this these last two days. Could this apple possibly be contributing to my Sugar Dragon? I hope not-- apples are one of my favorite take-along easy to grab high fiber snacks, combined with nuts or nut butters, to keep me full when I can't get to an actual meal or when I'm traveling and am starving. I'd hate not to be able to rely on them.

This morning I woke up a bit shaky, so I rushed to fix breakfast, which is a big bowl of salad with three eggs fried in coconut oil on top, black olives, and hearts of palm, drizzled with lemon infused olive oil. Mmmmm. I'm off from work today and the plan is to cook as I'm working 12-14 hour shifts the next three days and need to have everything set up to just grab and go.

• Moderators

Instead of trying to ignore it, I thought maybe some more fat or fiber would help so I ate an apple with almond butter and surprisingly, it wasn't the almond butter as much as the sweet cold crunch of the apple that helped to satisfy my cravings.

This, unfortunately is exactly what we do NOT want you using fruit for... it's a stand in for a sugar craving and it works perfectly but it keeps the cravings alive. 

We don't recommend snacking on fruit and nuts/nut butter as it is a food without brakes for a lot of people along with feeding the dragon exactly what it wants.

You don't have to not have apple... you can cut it up on a savory salad or eat it with a meal (not as a dessert).

It sounds like you're not eating enough in general... your description of being ravenous at dinner and then waking up shaky... are you eating three meals to the template? (linked below).

SugarcubeOD, on 06 May 2016 - 11:52 AM, said:

This, unfortunately is exactly what we do NOT want you using fruit for... it's a stand in for a sugar craving and it works perfectly but it keeps the cravings alive. 

We don't recommend snacking on fruit and nuts/nut butter as it is a food without brakes for a lot of people along with feeding the dragon exactly what it wants.

You don't have to not have apple... you can cut it up on a savory salad or eat it with a meal (not as a dessert).

It sounds like you're not eating enough in general... your description of being ravenous at dinner and then waking up shaky... are you eating three meals to the template? (linked below).

I thought so about that apple. Sigh. Well, you live and you learn. Who would have thought an apple would be a physiological substitute for a cheese-doodle-and-buttered-popcorn craving?  :blink:

I also think I ate enough-- breakfast and lunch were really quite substantial as far as serving size of protein, veg and fats according to the template. I think that my ravenousness has more to do with my tiredness/emotional reaction to work stress and possibly to my dehydratedness and less to do with actual hunger, if that makes sense? My goal over the next several days will be to drink more water. I'd only really gotten about a liter in every day recently, and I can tell by my dry skin that it's not enough.

Even after breakfast I'm still a bit shaky. I have a history of insulin resistance which is another reason I'd wanted to get my eating in check. Since gaining so much weight over the last several years I can tell that I've had periods of symptomatic hyper- and hypoglycemia even without checking my blood sugar. In the past I'd just graze my way through the day to avoid those feelings, but I want to change all of that. I'll keep a watchful eye on it and continue to plug through.

• Moderators

Water recommendation is 1/2oz per pound of body weight... good goal to drink more, it is very important.

How about you list what you've been eating (portion sizes related to the template, specific veggies, protein and fat) and we can see if there's anything that needs tweeking.  What you're describing, even with the history of insulin resistance is all indicators that you're not eating enough... now, I may be wrong but like I said in my email to you, we just want everyone to get the most out of this investment in time and if we can tweak some meals to help you feel more stable and less cravy/shaky etc... lets do that, okay?

SugarcubeOD, on 06 May 2016 - 1:21 PM, said:

Water recommendation is 1/2oz per pound of body weight... good goal to drink more, it is very important.

How about you list what you've been eating (portion sizes related to the template, specific veggies, protein and fat) and we can see if there's anything that needs tweeking.  What you're describing, even with the history of insulin resistance is all indicators that you're not eating enough... now, I may be wrong but like I said in my email to you, we just want everyone to get the most out of this investment in time and if we can tweak some meals to help you feel more stable and less cravy/shaky etc... lets do that, okay?

Sounds good. This was what I ate yesterday:

M1: frittata with three eggs, asparagus, tomato, onion and green pepper cooked in coconut oil, 1/3c pepitas, small baked sweet potato, cup black coffee with cinnamon

M2: 1c sautéed kale/spinach blend with olive oil, onions and garlic, baked large red skin potato drizzled with olive oil, 0.5lb shrimp marinated and sautéed in my failed mayonnaise with added herbs and anchovies

S1: small baked sweet potato, two large raw carrots, 1/3c pepitas, half cup black coffee with cinnamon

M3: 5oz raw salmon drizzled in sesame oil, 1/4c olive oil and spinach sautéed shrimp, open handful brined Tunisian olives, 1c asparagus sautéed in olive oil and garlic

S2: 3/4 apple with 2 Tbsp almond butter

Hi, I'm Andrea, and I'd love to tag on to this group, if that's ok with everyone.  I started May 2nd, and this is my first Whole30.  Today is my first time on the Forum, because I'm realizing that I need some support. I don't think I can do this alone.  I've already learned a bunch of things from all of you, just by reading your posts; thank you!

I'm a 52 year old "empty nester", live alone (except for 2 awesome puppies) and work in healthcare.  The healthcare part is ironic, since my lifestyle and diet have become very unhealthy over the last 3 years, leading to lack of energy and a 30 lb weight gain.  More later if you don't mind me tagging on to this group.

Hi and welcome Andrea!

DAY 7!!! Can I have a big high five all around here? We are amazing :)

Just chugging along. Energy levels are improving a little each day. It's been busy... I have two concerts I'm accompanying today and I've packed up a hot plate "Thai Curry" with coconut milk, green curry paste, ground beef and veggies to get me through meals 2 and 3.

Also I've just finished "It Starts With Food" and I'm now starting " The Whole30" book, which looks like a quicker but still informative read.

Happy Saturday - Erika

Hi everybody:  Day 7 hi five for sure, sorry to leave you hanging there:)

This week has been kicking my ass, the distillery my family is opening got our whiskey still in and everything has been crazy, and I have an art opening Friday and that has been double crazy.   So I am glad I have been doing this, who knows what I would have done with less stable mood or energy.  But if I seem a little absent for a bit all that crazy is why!  (Yes, I am not tasting any distillery test runs.  Sad face.)

Made roast turkey breast with carrots and blue potatoes yesterday, trying squash noodles today!

Melissa's Chicken Hash is a great breakfast! It was very quick to make, using a food processor to shred the sweet potato. If you have cooked chicken on hand it would be even faster. We got 3 generous servings from it. Unbelievably, I am still a little hungry, although waking up hungry is very new for me. Since I've been keeping track of my hunger, I've realized that I have never eaten enough in the morning. Hmmmm. Maybe that's why I snack all afternoon.

I'm officially on day 7 and doing great. I did have one mishap yesterday with a spearmint Altoid breath mint that I ate completely by accident when a coworker offered it to me (he always does in the evenings every day) and I took it mindlessly. Need to focus more on being even more mindful, though I'm not more mindful than I've ever been! I may add another day to the end of my w30 to account for this mishap but I'm not going to start my week all over again. Being mindful of my choices I think will be a lesson enough, and I will just hope that one breath mint worth of sugar and additives won't throw me off too much. It did however spark lots of dreams of off-plan eating. I talked about it more in my w30 log, but it's the first time I've had dreams of eating something not w30 and waking up and feeling really guilty!

Today I did some food prepping. This is what I made:

-sautéed string beans in olive oil with toasted pecans

-roasted Roma tomatoes in olive oil

-sautéed broccoli with garlic and olive oil

-roasted butternut squash in olive oil

-sautéed Brussels sprouts with sea salt and olive oil

-sautéed mushroom medley from Trader Joe's (delicious!)

-a play on Tom Kha Gai shrimp coconut soup. I didn't have lemongrass or chilis, so I used hot pepper flakes, fish sauce has sugar and one of the main ingredients in my jar of fish sauce is anchovy extract, so I skipped the sauce and just put in anchovies. I added onions, green peppers, a diced tomato, vegetable broth, a can of coconut milk plus some more I had left over in a Tupperware, the juice of two limes, a pound of raw peeled and deveined shrimp, and 1.5c chopped cilantro. It came out delicious!

-I also made a chicken dish in the crockpot for my hubby who is not doing w30, but the meal is almost w30 except for two additives (I'm trying to use up ingredients). I started with a large chopped onion, a handful of garlic that I chopped, a chopped green pepper, three chopped tomatoes, three large boneless/skinless chicken breasts, some vegetable broth, a large quantity of salsa (which has cornstarch in it-- not compliant), some fresh chopped cilantro, and a generous sprinkle of McCormick taco seasoning (which has whey, also non-compliant). Even if it was compliant I wouldn't eat it because I don't eat poultry or red meat, but its been simmering in the crockpot all day and smells great. Hopefully he'll eat that and leave most of my w30 compliant foods alone! :lol:

-next I'm going to pan-fry three coconut flour and egg dredged basa filets I have defrosting, and pan sear a Chilean sea bass steak I have defrosting. Yum!

For breakfast today I had four eggs fried in coconut oil with some Brussels sprouts and mushrooms and half of an avocado. Yum. I haven't been hungry today (not for breakfast and not for lunch, even though it's so late), so I'm just eating now and am having a can of yellowfin tuna packed in oil with the other half avocado, some sautéed broccoli and string beans, and a roast tomato.

Dinner I'm pretty sure will be Tom Kha Gai shrimp soup and some butternut squash over a little wilted spinach that I'll likely also make today.

I hope everyone else is having a good day!

Are you guys loving Day 10?! If this is Tiger Blood, it's sweeter than sugar! Almost.

LOVED Melissa's chicken hash. And I've made her Mexican tuna boats twice: once with romaine wraps and today I ate it out of a red pepper.

Found some compliant salsa that I've been topping my scrambled eggs and avocado with for breakfasts - delish.

Got cooked, peeled beets fromCostco - going to use them in tomorrow's salad with HB eggs on the side.

The Whole30 life is good!

Day 11!  :D

Not quite to tiger blood yet, but surprisingly good energy today considering I only got 6 hours sleep last night.  And the 5-spice slow cooker ribs are unbelievable.  It was expensive using the hormone-free, antibiotic-free ribs but it does feel a lot better to eat the high quality stuff.

A couple nights ago I had an über realistic dream that I broke my whole 30 by eating Triscuits.  Really?!  Of all the tasty non-compliant stuff out there, Triscuits? LOL

This week I discovered the joys of ghee.  I think I like it even better than butter.  YUM

Tonight will be the first time I'm doing something social and I'm nervous-- my husband's coworker is having a birthday get together at a bar and grill. I work until 7:30pm and packed a third Neal so I think I'm just going to be sure to eat that before I join them all, because aside from a side salad, I'm not sure what I'll be able to have there. Hopefully I'll be able to focus on the social situation more than the eating and drinking, which will be a new experience for me :)

Also, I recruited my coworker into taking the plunge and starting her own w30, and she got two family members to do it with her as well. Yay!

We are halfway there!!! How does it feel?!

I am enjoying:

-flatter stomach

-more even moods

-more energy

- easier to wake up in the morning

-the variety of tastes and new foods I'm learning to make (homemade mayo - how does that even work?!)

What I miss the most: cheese and ice cream...

Tonight will be the first time I'm doing something social and I'm nervous-- my husband's coworker is having a birthday get together at a bar and grill. I work until 7:30pm and packed a third Neal so I think I'm just going to be sure to eat that before I join them all, because aside from a side salad, I'm not sure what I'll be able to have there. Hopefully I'll be able to focus on the social situation more than the eating and drinking, which will be a new experience for me :)

Also, I recruited my coworker into taking the plunge and starting her own w30, and she got two family members to do it with her as well. Yay!

How did it go?! We had a party for my Dad's retirement, and it was hard even with a plan!

Archived