We actually didn't go out-- the get together wasn't going to start until 10pm and my husband and I looked at each other and were like "we'll already be in bed." So we skipped it. So I'm on day 13 and still haven't gone out to do anything (at least not in a restaurant environment) socially. I did go to religious services two weeks ago and avoided everything to eat/drink during the coffee hour afterwards, but then again, it was also almost 10pm, so I just said goodbye to everyone and left.

Sigh. I'm sure at some point I'll do something that requires me to plan or consider options during this w30, but so far the opportunity just hasn't yet come to pass.

I'm more nervous about reintroductions, which will start off fine I'm sure, but on day 7 I'll be going out to a river cruise around Manhattan with a pre-set meal and drinking, and then the following day I'll be traveling to Las Vegas for three days. After that I'll be in Utah for a week in a rental home, so that won't be difficult at all, but all of the buffets and restaurants in Vegas frighten me-- I'd hate to be attempting to reintroduce foods and feel terrible while I'm away on a trip...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had another food-centered dream last night. This time I was dressed up for a fancy reception of some kind and everyone was going around to these different stations/tables super laden with amazing looking desserts and baked goods. I was feeling left out, but didn't want to break my w30, so I went from platter to platter picking off the garnishes, which were grapes and melons and apple slices, etc. :rolleyes:

Tomorrow is going to be my real first attempt at eating out at a restaurant. I've picked out a paleo-friendly place which will fit nicely into my w30 eating. I'm going to a professional conference in Manhattan where they say they feed us a continental breakfast and boxed lunch, but I'm packing my own food, and then I'm meeting my friend for dinner out and then a Broadway show. It's going to be a great day!

Anyhow, I'm on day 17. Where is everyone else in their Whole 30? How is everyone else doing?

I had another food-centered dream last night. This time I was dressed up for a fancy reception of some kind and everyone was going around to these different stations/tables super laden with amazing looking desserts and baked goods. I was feeling left out, but didn't want to break my w30, so I went from platter to platter picking off the garnishes, which were grapes and melons and apple slices, etc. :rolleyes:

Tomorrow is going to be my real first attempt at eating out at a restaurant. I've picked out a paleo-friendly place which will fit nicely into my w30 eating. I'm going to a professional conference in Manhattan where they say they feed us a continental breakfast and boxed lunch, but I'm packing my own food, and then I'm meeting my friend for dinner out and then a Broadway show. It's going to be a great day!

Anyhow, I'm on day 17. Where is everyone else in their Whole 30? How is everyone else doing?

I love that dream! And you stuck to the plan, even in the dream; that's awesome! About a week ago I dreamed of a cupcake the size of a Costco muffin, with frosting almost an inch thick. I didn't eat it in the dream either, and was proud of myself.

It sounds like you have a great plan for your conference and the rest of your day in Manhattan. I'm on day 20.  I survived eating out for the first time this last week! It was a little hard. My daughter came home from college for 3 days, and I told her I'd take her out anywhere she wanted to celebrate her good grades and our time together. She chose an Asian restaurant.  I called ahead and they said there was only one dish they could make without soy and/or sugar--roasted veggies.  So I ate roasted veggies.  It was less than satisfying, but I stayed Whole30 compliant (and ate some protein when I got home).

All the best to everyone!

Day 21!! 

I am now on a train coming home from a couple of days with the boyfriend's parents.  I brought a cooler bag full of food but MIL-to-be was also very attentive and made stuff I could eat.  I also negotiated a whole30 template meal in a sushi restaurant.  So I'm pretty pleased with how things turned out!

In other news, we have a wedding date finally, and my 13-year-old has announced she's becoming a vegan.  Fun times ...

NoMoreCrunchyCravings, how was your conference day?

Andrea64, congrats on Day 20 and surviving the Asian restaurant!

Your restaurant and traveling adventures sound like really positive experiences-- so glad you stuck to your plans!

My conference was really great. It was a very educational day, and the networking opportunities were good. I was right about the food there and am so glad I planned ahead. They did have some fruit platters and a coffee/tea station, so I helped myself to black coffee and grapes, blueberries, strawberries and pineapple slices, which I ate with my home-cooked three fried eggs, ziplock of boiled and sliced beets, and baggie of black olives. Lunch was also provided, and nothing I could eat-- beautiful looking deli sandwiches with sides of macaroni salad. So I ate my hunk of pan-seared salmon, green pepper strips, the rest of the beets, more olives, and more fruit from the morning continental breakfast. I was satisfied and satiated with all that I brought, and was glad to have had the fresh fruit-- I find I rarely eat fruit and don't keep much in the house.

Dinner was out at a place I'd pre-planned after looking up paleo restaurants in NYC. We chose a location of Dig Inn, a casual small-chain place, 10 blocks or so away from the theater where the Broadway show was, and though I was disappointed I couldn't get a compliant protein source (only because I choose not to eat meat though the options there looked great and the online reviews raved about the meatballs... but the salmon had honey in the marinade), I got quite full on sautéed broccoli with lemon, sea salt, and olive and thyme oils, roasted sweet potatoes, and an amazing dish of carrots with delicate greens and sunflower pesto (the winner of the three options I ate). To drink, I had their own bottled iced tea which was just water and mint tea leaves-- delish.

All in all, I'd call the day a success.

Today I went to a friend's jewelry party (like a Tupperware or Avon party, but for jewelry) and she's familiar with my eating style, so she kept some sautéed zucchini with onions and garlic and olive oil separate for me and out of the quiche she'd made with a crust and tofu in the mix, also kept the mozzarella separate from the tomato and basil salad, knowing I'd want some of that, and stocked a generous supply of Kalamata olives. I didn't miss eating the other snacks she'd cooked, and I didn't miss drinking the beautiful sangria she'd prepared, and I was so tickled that she'd remembered me in the planning of the refreshments. I always do it for her too, though, when I host parties at my house (she doesn't eat eggs, butter or heavy cream and most cheeses, so I make olive oil mashed potatoes, and make sure to have a protein she'll eat as well as at least one vegan green side dish).

Funny as it seems, I think I'm finally starting to see food as fuel and not as the centerpiece of a social gathering. It's amazing and SO different from how my mind thought about social situations for the last 35 years. Yay whole 30!

Day 26!!

Strangely, I have started to feel cravings again a little bit.  Maybe this is because my mind knows that the whole30 will be over in a few days.  I really don't want to lose the feeling of peace with food that this experience has given me, though.

I am looking forward to seeing how reintroductions affect me.  It is cool to know I can eat at other people's homes and in restaurants without adverse effects.

How about you NMCC?  It's been great reading about your experiences :)

I've been having dreams that I'm horrified to realize I've eaten something non-compliant (last night it was grape soda), and that it totally wasn't worth it!

I'm feeling great, and I can't say I'm too eager to reintroduce certain things, like grains. Ice cream, though? Can't. Wait.

Eusebius - Eating out will be so much easier! Social situations have been the most difficult for sure.

Yes it's day 30 for me!!!

My reintro plan is to do the Fast Track suggested in the Whole30 book.  Someone gave my fiancé a bottle of white wine so we're going to have some tomorrow.  It works out great as Day 31 is also the anniversary of the day we started dating :)

How about you NMCC?

Tonight is the end of day 28 for me, I finish at 11:59pm on June 2nd. I'm going to do the fast track as well, with dairy I think as my first trial food. I'd previously thought about adding pasta/glutinous grains but from what I hear the stomach upset that comes with that may last more than two days and I don't want to wait a minute longer for dairy than I have to. I haven't craved or missed it much at all, but a timely wedge of brie with apple or pear sure makes me a happy girl every now and again. :)

Happy dativersary-- I hope that wine lends to a wonderful celebration!

I'd love to hear how the rest of the people from this w30 are doing. Is anyone else still following this thread?? If so, give us an update!

Archived