Protein powders

Waver

I can't see the ingredient list so I can't say if it is compliant from that stand point or not.

Here is the official word on protein powder and Whole30:

Protein Shakes: Almost Always No

Almost all protein powders (like whey, casein, soy, or pea) contain off-limit ingredients. Besides, anything you can get from protein powder (except maybe chemical extractives, added sweeteners and strange-sounding isolates) you can get from whole foods during your Whole30. In addition, formulated and processed meal-replacement shakes like Shakeology or Visalus are always off-limits. These products don’t even come close to our definition of real, whole food—and they’re packed with off-plan ingredients like pea protein and stevia.

However, protein powder from approved ingredients like crickets (in Chapul bars) or 100% egg white are allowed on the Whole30, provided they contain no sweeteners. As always, though, liquid food is still not encouraged. Got it?

Tip: We want you to spend a month learning to appreciate real food, how it tastes, the work it takes to prepare, and how it works in your body. You can have your shaker cup back in 30 days; for now, focus on starchy veggies and lean protein after a workout. Hard-boiled eggs, compliant deli meat, smoked salmon, or tuna are easy, portable protein sources to take with you to the gym.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.a8paGje6.dpuf

It's whey, which is dairy, so that would be a no. 

You'll be really hard pressed to find anyone that can give protein powder recommendations because one of the huge points of Whole30 is to get people eating real food, not drinking it. 

If you tell us what you wanted to use it for, though, we'd be happy to give some suggestions of other options  :)

I was going to use it in R2 for fruit/veggie smoothies. I know they aren't encouraged, but I had the hardest time with breakfast last time. Can't eat eggs for 30 days. I found I liked smoothies and wanted to have protein with it. Physibeth:

Ingredients : Grass-Fed Year Round Whey Protein, (Organic Soluble Fiber, Luo Han Guo (Monk Fruit), Medium Chain Triglycerides (Coconut), Blueberry Fruit, Guar Gum

• Moderators

Whey is not allowed on Whole30, it's from milk and is considered dairy.

You would be much better off finding actual foods that you can eat for breakfast. It doesn't have to be eggs. Have a blended soup like this one with some meatballs or burger patty. Or these salmon cakes are good for breakfast, and they're even good cold if you don't have time to reheat them. Make one of these salads for vegetables. You will get used to eating real food for breakfast, if you will just start doing it.

Eggs were my primary protein for breakfast but there was a whole week where I had steak or chicken and green beans for breakfast. I did blended soups and scotch eggs (hard boiled eggs wrapped in homemade sausage) one week too. It totally spiced things up. 

I agree with the above posts regarding protein shakes within the meal template but wanted to add that this shake contains "monk fruit" which is sneaky, but is an added sweetener. Julian Bakery has been around for awhile in the "paleo-sphere" and I've yet to purchase a single product from them for two reasons: 1) I don't agree with their ethics and 2) some of their products fall far out of the health-whelm and are marketed as paleo. Make sure you read every label for every purchase. Sorry this one is out for you! :(

Salmon cakes, as mentioned above, are GREAT for a protein rich breakfast.

i have been doing Whole 30 since Jan. 1st, 2016. i have lost 25 pounds. Almost 3 to 4 mornings, i make a shake. I know its not ideal, but I do not have time to do more than blend in the morning. My commute is when i have my breakfast shake.

Usually, its Almond milk, egg white protein powder (100% egg whites, nothing else), a cup of frozen organic spinach or kale, and a fruit or two, usually either a banana and frozen mango or frozen blueberries.  

If i have time for breakfast, i hard boil 2 to 3 eggs and have a banana in the car on my way. 

its working for me and i feel great! its been almost 5 months and I will never go back to eating the way i used to... I love Whole 30 and tell everyone I know about it! 

Peace and Blessings... 

i have been doing Whole 30 since Jan. 1st, 2016. i have lost 25 pounds. Almost 3 to 4 mornings, i make a shake. I know its not ideal, but I do not have time to do more than blend in the morning. My commute is when i have my breakfast shake.

Usually, its Almond milk, egg white protein powder (100% egg whites, nothing else), a cup of frozen organic spinach or kale, and a fruit or two, usually either a banana and frozen mango or frozen blueberries.  

If i have time for breakfast, i hard boil 2 to 3 eggs and have a banana in the car on my way. 

its working for me and i feel great! its been almost 5 months and I will never go back to eating the way i used to... I love Whole 30 and tell everyone I know about it! 

Peace and Blessings... 

While your prepping the rest of your food, could you put eggs and veggies into the oven for an egg bake or egg muffins? Then all you have to do is warm them in the morning...less active time than making a smoothie. Or hard boiled eggs and blended vegetable soup. Both are super easy to eat on the go and will get you closer to a template meal than a smoothie. 

Part of the problem with smoothies is that they tend to be a *ton* of sugar, even with the protein added. There's also no added fat in your ingredients list...does that smoothie keep you full and satisfied for 4-5 hours? 

Donna 793, what powder do you use? Honestly, I only like scrambled eggs and ill add veggies sometimes. Smoothie doesn't keep me full 4-5 maybe 2-3.I just need new ideas. I have leftovers for lunch so I don't want them for breakfast too.

Smoothie doesn't keep me full 4-5 maybe 2-3.

And herein will lie your problem.

It won't keep you full because 1) the body won't register that you've eaten because you haven't chewed your food (chewing kick starts the production of digestive enzymes) and so it will be looking for more food sooner rather than later, and 2) that sugar kick first thing in the morning will have you hungry sooner anyway because of it's impact on blood sugars having fasted overnight. This then presents problem no 3) you'll NOT be leaving that 4-5hrs window before your next meal to allow your body to learn to tap into it's fat stores, which is key for fat adaptation...

Whole30 is not just about eating compliant foods - it's about developing better habits, learning how food effects you (good or bad) & composing your meals in such a way that will counteract that.

• Moderators

Peace and Blessings... 

Note how much fruit is in your smoothie... regardless of prep time, would you be able to eat 2-3 eggs, cup of kale, a banana, a mango and that much almond milk in one sitting?

The template asks for 1-3 cups of veggies, additional fat and 1-2 palms of protein (or if eggs, as many as you can hold without dropping).  I understand that you feel this is working for you but what if how you feel now is good but following the guidelines would make you feel amazing?  There are lots of quick breakfast ideas all over this forum from the many people in your same boat that don't have time to cook in the morning.  I don't cook in the morning.  My breakfast is green beans, sundried tomato, mushrooms, chicken, one fried egg and a dollop of mayo that I cooked yesterday and packed into a container... took it out of the fridge this am, now I'm eating it... I could warm it in the micro but I prefer it room temp... 

doing a proper breakfast just requires some thinking outside the box.

Archived