protein with every meal?

heatha321

Hi,

I realized I left my salad and chicken out today for quite a while and they are both warm. I am going to eat the salad and hope for the best, but will not eat chicken that is warm from sitting out. My first question is if I am being non-compliant to the program and will have to start over based on not having any protein with my meal. The second thing I'm wondering is if you all think I am risking food poisoning by eating the salad. It is spinach/arugula with tomato, strawberry, kiwi, avocado, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper. Thanks in advance for your help!

You're not risking food poisoning.  For me, I'd eat the chicken as well. But thats me.  And no you dont have to start  over from square one cause you skipped protein  for todays lunch.  You'll probably be hungry quicker beings you didn't eat any though.  Lots of people use a can of tuna for such instances when they dont have a protein readily available.

I would eat tuna, but I need to go pick some more up...I realized the tuna in water we have has all sorts of non-compliant foods such as soybean oil, added sulfites, etc. :-/ Thank you for your response! I will try to eat dinner earlier to not get too hungry.

I think the general rule of thumb is 2 hours, but I know some who go longer. If the chicken doesn't smell funky, heat it up and eat it. Or find another easy compliant protein

2 hours? Seriously?!

<looks sheepish>

I had a chicken salad for lunch today and it sat in my office (with the sun blazing in the window) from 8:30am until close to 2pm before I ate it - and this is a regular thing for me, and I've yet to get food poisoning from it...

I think your chicken would have been fine.

• Moderators

2 hours? Seriously?!

<looks sheepish>

I had a chicken salad for lunch today and it sat in my office (with the sun blazing in the window) from 8:30am until close to 2pm before I ate it - and this is a regular thing for me, and I've yet to get food poisoning from it...

I had ground beef/pork mixed with home made thousand island (mayo based) sitting out from 7 when I left for work until 1... just think... when you were a kid, you used to have to leave your lunch in your desk or locker and you didn't die... 

2 hours? Seriously?!

<looks sheepish>

I said "general rule of thumb" :-p

I have friends who never refrigerate anything. I can't do that. Depending on the food, I'm more likely to eat it if it's been more than 2 hours. I'm more squeamish about leaving raw meat out for a long time but if it's cooked, I call it good if it still smells ok lol

Archived