Starting April 25. Anyone else?

ctgraham

Started my second Whole30 yesterday! Made it through the day comfortably...3 meals and 1 snack. Woke up with a little headache this morning but feel better now that I've eaten. I did my first Whole30 about 2 years ago and only made it through 21 days. I've struggled with binge eating and emotional eating for years...I've made some progress but I wanted to try to reset my body and cleanse to see if that helps things. I'm a working mom of 2 and want to show my kiddos good eating habits. Here's to Day 2! Time to do some meal planning!

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started yesterday, too! I was too busy with all the cooking and my job to post yesterday, though. But this morning I ate and went to Crossfit at 7 am, so I'm feeling pretty great so far!... But I'm worried I'll crash later. I'm saving my coffee for 11 am. ;)

I have a group of friends on Facebook and we all share recipes and support, but I'm happy to meet people here, too! I'm in Chicago! :D

Hello All! I just started my first Whole30 yesterday as well! I made it through a week and half almost two years ago, but this time I am super determined to make it all the way through!

My added challenge: I'll be doing the Whole30 while breastfeeding. Yesterday, it was actually hard to get four template meals in, but I did! So far, I don't feel too bad; no headache or fatigue, but I'm not holding my breath. I was out of control with my eating during my pregnancy and for the past three months. (My LO is 3 months old). 

Super excited to have a better relationship with food and to kick my sugar dragon to the curb!

I meant to say that two of my good friends did the Whole30 back in I believe February and they raved about how they felt and the weight they lost although her husband lost the most.  Joint pain disappeared, more energy, less allergies. Although, right now I am having a serious allergy attack. My nose is itching like crazy right now.  So here I am trying this out.

Thanks for the encouragement from those who have paricipated before. I'm a bit down at having to 'break up' with food when I wake up.

Yeah, I was down cause I love Kefir and cheese on my omelets and salad. I really don't eat bread so although I love bread so much. And chips omo omo but I pretty much am okay although I know by Thursday the sugar withdrawal headaches will start.  Haven't eaten a ton of sugary things so it shouldn't be so bad but it's not pleasant

• Moderators

I still have my delicious sesame chicken salad in the fridge yesterday that I was planning to eat for lunch. But I was gone and not able to eat much from 1-3:30, so it just kinda worked out like that. :( I think every day is going to look different, but I am enjoying finding again all the delicious good I can have on protein and veggies....I also haven't read the book, i've just been learning off of the website etc..

You really need to try and get three template meals in Nateang... that is the minimum an adult human needs to eat and if you only eat two meals with fruit/nut snacks on a consistent basis, you're going to end up tired, cranky, hungry, lightheaded... the list goes on.

There are lots of resources if you need more picnic style/brown bag lunches to make that meal easier for you... just use google to search the forum (whole30 + your topic).

Check out the template linked in my signature below... it's where the magic is!

Made it through evening without snacking. Morning was great: sweet potato with poached eggs and hollandaise sauce. Cooked sausage, but too much, so will save for lunch. I've always been a grazer, munching all throughout the day, so am curious if this will go away. I know it's mental as well, but am hopeful the adjustments my body makes will override those old signals.

Must admit I love being back in the kitchen. Feel inspired. Still feeling good.

Hey everyone! Just starting today! I had scrambled eggs with red pepper for breakfast (6:30) and chicken breast, red peppers, and asparagus for lunch (12:30). I couldn't quite make it to lunch without snacking on some almonds, and I'm afraid I will be hungry before dinner time too. From what I've read, I know I'm going to need to add more fat. How do y'all like to add the fat in your meals?

Hey everyone! Just starting today! I had scrambled eggs with red pepper for breakfast (6:30) and chicken breast, red peppers, and asparagus for lunch (12:30). I couldn't quite make it to lunch without snacking on some almonds, and I'm afraid I will be hungry before dinner time too. From what I've read, I know I'm going to need to add more fat. How do y'all like to add the fat in your meals?

Hi Emily1989, the need to snack should go away as your body adjusts to Whole30. During my first Whole30, it took 1-2 weeks to get used to three meals a day, and only snacking when I was starving and the next meal was still a few hours away. Even now, there are days I need a snack.

In terms of fat, yes, it does sound like you need to add more to each meal. I love adding avocado/guac to almost everything, its a great way to get the added fat. Add it to your morning eggs, burgers, use it instead of mayo in tuna/chicken salad. Homemade mayo is also a great thing to add. You can also make super easy/quick recipes in the crockpot using coconut milk, which I believe counts as your added fat.

Hope this helps!

Hello All! I just started my first Whole30 yesterday as well! I made it through a week and half almost two years ago, but this time I am super determined to make it all the way through!

My added challenge: I'll be doing the Whole30 while breastfeeding. Yesterday, it was actually hard to get four template meals in, but I did! So far, I don't feel too bad; no headache or fatigue, but I'm not holding my breath. I was out of control with my eating during my pregnancy and for the past three months. (My LO is 3 months old).

Super excited to have a better relationship with food and to kick my sugar dragon to the curb!

Way to go mama!

It's definitely doable while bf and might even up your supply! Have you looked in the section of the forum on pregnancy and breastfeeding? There are some good threads in there. That's good that you added a fourth meal. It could even be a mini meal of a hardboiled egg or 2 and some celery or peppers or something.

I just finished bf. I was pretty good the first 2 trimesters, mostly sticking to paleo/w30, but in the 3rd I kind of went nuts. During bf I was good at the beginning but then the anxiety of returning to work set in at 3 months pp, and since then, I've been on and off paleo for a week or 2 then sugar bingeing. So I feel ya mama. Sugar is the worst, especially with crazy hormones coursing through our bodies. Also, I'm someone who does NOT lose weight from bf. I gain it or stay stagnant. I'm hoping now that we weaned about 5 or 6 weeks ago, my hormones are starting to return back to normal and my body can hopefully release some of this weight.

Slay that sugar dragon!

Hi Emily1989

How many eggs did you have for breakfast? You may want to add one more. Also think about adding some sweet potato to your breakfast. I found that having a sweet potato at breakfast (microwaved in a damp paper towel, skin on, then peel skin off and mash with some ghee, coconut oil or evoo and salt--- yummo) really helps me stay satisfied until lunch. If you get enough protein and fat you shouldn't be hungry mid morning. Also, think about maybe adding a salad to your lunch and you could use evoo on that to get some fats in. I also love the trader joes individual nut bags... they have "go raw mix" which I keep a few in my purse for emergencies. Also incidentally amazing to add to salads. :-)

Hi everyone! My roommate and I began Whole 30 today - April 26th - but I'd love to check in with this group throughout the month. Congratulations all on taking this big step in the direction of health and wellness! 

Omg. Made the best dinner. Zoodles, then the core of zucchini I chopped and sautéed in evoo and garlic, shrimp, then at end tossed in fresh basil and tomatoes. Omg. Was so good and fresh. And I felt like I was really treating myself! Also had some fresh cut watermelon and strawberries! Yummo.

Starting tomorrow as well! First timer, excited, and bought a weeks worth of yummy produce yesterday. I've been trying to cut out things slowly over the past few weeks, but am a bit nervous about how cutting everything will be!

I started April 25th, this is my first whole30. I Just found my way to this forum full of great resources!

I'm doing this solo in my household, although I'm trying to inform my kids of the healthy changes I'm making. As well as getting them to help with making dinner. It's hard remembering all the rules. Is everyone only eating 3 meals? And are you guys eating fruit? I'm having an orange and 1/2 cup of berries or half a banana a day. I don't remember having fruit on paleo years ago- which I've read is fairly similar to whole 30!

Way to go mama!

It's definitely doable while bf and might even up your supply! Have you looked in the section of the forum on pregnancy and breastfeeding? There are some good threads in there. That's good that you added a fourth meal. It could even be a mini meal of a hardboiled egg or 2 and some celery or peppers or something.

I just finished bf. I was pretty good the first 2 trimesters, mostly sticking to paleo/w30, but in the 3rd I kind of went nuts. During bf I was good at the beginning but then the anxiety of returning to work set in at 3 months pp, and since then, I've been on and off paleo for a week or 2 then sugar bingeing. So I feel ya mama. Sugar is the worst, especially with crazy hormones coursing through our bodies. Also, I'm someone who does NOT lose weight from bf. I gain it or stay stagnant. I'm hoping now that we weaned about 5 or 6 weeks ago, my hormones are starting to return back to normal and my body can hopefully release some of this weight.

Slay that sugar dragon!

CharDoll, thank you! I have read the forums for breastfeeding, but I am going to definitely keep checking them out as a refresher and for encouragement. 

I would be lying if I said I didn't hope to lose weight after completing the Whole30. I was previously counting calories but weight loss was extremely slow! I have determined that I will also not be able to lose weight while breastfeeding. My goal is to make it to at least one year, and since LO is 3 months, I have a while yet. But another reason I decided on Whole30 was to get my relationship with food in check and to experience so many NSVs! As a new mom, it is really important now to practice body positive talk and to not let my focus, nor my identity, be found in my body image. 

Day 3!

How is everyone feeling?

My sleep was so-so last night.....this is typical for me during the first few weeks. I fall asleep early and easily, but then I pop awake around 3:30 or 4 a.m. I stayed in bed until the alarm went off at 5:30 and I do feel energized and rested today. I see a nap in my future later today though ;) Especially after Body Pump this morning. I've been struggling with eating within an hour of waking....I'm so busy getting my daughter and husband fed and out the door that I don't sit down to eat until after they've left. I need to work on that! 

I started April 25th, this is my first whole30. I Just found my way to this forum full of great resources!

I'm doing this solo in my household, although I'm trying to inform my kids of the healthy changes I'm making. As well as getting them to help with making dinner. It's hard remembering all the rules. Is everyone only eating 3 meals? And are you guys eating fruit? I'm having an orange and 1/2 cup of berries or half a banana a day. I don't remember having fruit on paleo years ago- which I've read is fairly similar to whole 30!

The forum is a wealth of information! I still spend time on it even though I've done several Whole 30's and am pretty familiar with the rules.

I try to stick to three meals in addition to a post workout meal. I will have a mini-meal if I'm really hungry and not just trying to satisfy a craving. The fruit is absolutely fine as long as it's part of a meal. There are those that report sugary cravings later in the day if they eat fruit with meal 1. It may be best to save it for meal 3 if you experience this.

My husband is joining me this go around. I'm not having my 7 year old join us, but she eats what we eat at dinner and I try to have her eat as clean as possible. Having your kiddos cook with you is a great idea! I actually spoke to my daughter this week about picking a meal that she wants to help me make on Saturday...we'll see how that goes :P

I know it's day three and I'm just posting but I started on Monday too. I've done several whole30's in the past three years with great success. I was at 280 pounds when I started my first! Lost 60 pounds in 18 months.

Then I had a health crises (bloid clot) and lost my Dad and discovered that I am an emotional eater! Gained 20 pounds and felt like CRAP!!

I've lost 5 pounds but NEED to get my gut and my brain :) healthy again so I need a while30!

Love to cook but don't have a lot of time. Meal prep is my friend! I've been 'on target' days one and two! Looking forward to support and accountability!

Last night a bit hard. Family (not doing whole 30) got take out from my favorite restaurant, an excellent but completely non-compliant Chinese place where they have a crispy fish with some amazing spices. If anyone has every heard of Peter Chang (elusive chef who at one point had a Facebook page dedicated to tracking him down because he avoided notoriety and just wanted to focus on the food) then you will know the dish I am talking about. 

Anyway, that dish, on the counter, top off and wafting aromatics, individual pieces that are the size of chicken nuggets and so plentiful no one would know the exact count... did I mention that i was alone in the kitchen with only the accusatory look of my Jack Russell Terrier. The Oscar Wilde line about best way to get rid of temptation is to satisfy it went through my head. Poor planning and life had me scramble to make something, and I was really kicking myself for not preparing more. 

I did not give in. I still got my chip and can stand be counted still in the April 25 club, but really felt tested. 

Archived