Starting April 25. Anyone else?

ctgraham

Day 14: Whole30ers!  We're almost half way.  I have to share this with you all as I am reflecting on it now it's too funny.  The hubs and I are feeling great and definitely seeing the results in both of us, physically and emotionally. I just hate that I didn't do t his sooner.  Although I don't expect us all to be the same the books timeline because all of our bodies are different and will vary in our reactions to this program.  However, I was right on time with dreaming of food right now.  Last night I had a food dream, not one like you'd think.  With all the hoopla over our beloved Prince, he's on my mind so much these days.  I dreamt last night that there was a huge, huge, birthday party for him at some auditorium.  Short story, they were selling slices of his purple icing ladened cake for $8 a slice!  I dreamt that the minute I heard that I barged out and ran to the concession stand at which place I threw my $8 up on the counter and the clerk handed me my cake.  Without even looking at it I ran to the nearest wall where I slid down to the floor and was about to tear this cake up!!!  Well, it was right then that I noticed this $8 slice of cake was only a mere 1 square inch in diameter :mellow: .  I was at first really ticked that quickly lead to BE THANKFUL for it!  I slowly took my pointer finger and scooped up my 1 sq inch of cake/icing and put it in my mouth, swirling around that rich sweet taste!   Oh it was good!  Not $8 good but good.  Anyone else experiencing the dreams?

Hanging tough.  Hope you are too!!

This was so funny to read. I loved reading about your dream. I did have a silly dream of my own on night 12 but not nearly as good as yours. In mine I was at a friend of mines for a social gathering and I kept going around to all of the different food dishes and asking what was in each dish and then eating each one once I knew what was in it and that it was okay. After doing this for several dishes my friend Shawn, the hostess, says to me from across the room while standing next to a yummy one I had already tried, "what are you doing?" I replied, "I am seeing what is in each dish and trying them out." she then says, "you didn't eat this one did you?", I said, "Yes, it was yummy!" she said, "It has sugar in it." I felt horrible immediately and all I could think is that I had to start all over again. I was so relieved when I woke up and realized it was just a dream. We are half way done folks! I am grateful for all I have learned thus far. I really thought I would be dying without sodas and chocolate but what I miss most is rice and just a bit a cheese now and then. 

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 16 --

I feel pretty good, and I can absolutely tell that I've changed physically. I can fit clothes that I couldn't fit just two weeks ago and OH, MY GOD...MY SKIN!!!!! My skin and complexion had gotten pretty bad since about January. Right around the time that I went through a medical issue and my body was going through a ton of changes. I also fell into a depression and started eating very, very poorly and stopped exercising. Anyway...that's all in the past...I bring it up to note that I've been struggling with my skin (among other things) for a while. This week (and ONLY this week), things have turned around tremendously. Last week I was still lamenting terrible acne that was painful to the touch. This morning, though, I looked at my skin and was like, "WOW!" It's dewy and glow-y, and CLEAR.

My nails have also grown and are incredibly strong. My nails had gotten so brittle and fragile, but all of a sudden now they've grown, aren't breaking (despite the fact that I'm moving to another state and I've been packing and moving boxes around and cleaning). My nail beds are super healthy and no little white specks/bruising under the nail. It's crazy. I love it.

They sound like weird things to obsess over, but the state of my skin had me super upset. My profile avatar is from last spring when I had gotten in pretty good physical shape, and my skin was PERFECT. I can see my skin returning to that state, and I'm really, really happy about it. Also, one of my favorite ways to pamper myself since college has been taking a Sunday afternoon to do my own nails...give myself a mani/pedi, so having my nails look so awful all the time took away something that gave me the opportunity to enjoy "me time" on a regular basis. I'm glad to have that ritual back. Just me, some Game of Thrones, and my nail kit.

Just a couple of little halfway point NSVs.

• Moderators

One of the things I love most about Whole30 is how amazing it makes my skin!  I used to have terrible skin as a teen and while it cleared up I never had 'nice' skin... well... you could have blown me down with a feather when I started getting complimented on my skin and told i look years younger than my age... natural skin care and Whole30 are a combo that can't be beat and now every night before bed I look in the mirror and am so pleased to see that even without makeup, it looks amazing!

It's not a weird thing to obsess over and it's definitely not nothing!  Go you and your gorgeous skin and strong nails!

Day 16 --

I feel pretty good, and I can absolutely tell that I've changed physically. I can fit clothes that I couldn't fit just two weeks ago and OH, MY GOD...MY SKIN!!!!! My skin and complexion had gotten pretty bad since about January. Right around the time that I went through a medical issue and my body was going through a ton of changes. I also fell into a depression and started eating very, very poorly and stopped exercising. Anyway...that's all in the past...I bring it up to note that I've been struggling with my skin (among other things) for a while. This week (and ONLY this week), things have turned around tremendously. Last week I was still lamenting terrible acne that was painful to the touch. This morning, though, I looked at my skin and was like, "WOW!" It's dewy and glow-y, and CLEAR.

My nails have also grown and are incredibly strong. My nails had gotten so brittle and fragile, but all of a sudden now they've grown, aren't breaking (despite the fact that I'm moving to another state and I've been packing and moving boxes around and cleaning). My nail beds are super healthy and no little white specks/bruising under the nail. It's crazy. I love it.

They sound like weird things to obsess over, but the state of my skin had me super upset. My profile avatar is from last spring when I had gotten in pretty good physical shape, and my skin was PERFECT. I can see my skin returning to that state, and I'm really, really happy about it. Also, one of my favorite ways to pamper myself since college has been taking a Sunday afternoon to do my own nails...give myself a mani/pedi, so having my nails look so awful all the time took away something that gave me the opportunity to enjoy "me time" on a regular basis. I'm glad to have that ritual back. Just me, some Game of Thrones, and my nail kit.

Just a couple of little halfway point NSVs.

That's awesome. I honestly, can't believe how great I feel. The most notable change is I am no longer bloated and no longer have a daily stomach ache!

Hi everyone! 

Sorry I've been MIA! Work / life has been so busy!  Was so happy at a Kentucky Derby Happy hour that a friend hosted... a zillion good compliant things for me to eat. raw veggies, huge yummy shrimp, chicken wings that were cooked in a brick oven with onions, and no sauce or anything. I was in heaven!  

Oh, and mother's day was great. We had grilled chicken, pork tenderloin, roasted potatoes, fruit salad, green salad. YUM. 

Also, I had a food dream last night. I went in a museum and didn't realize that there would be food in EVERY ROOM. Like majorly catered food. And I kept saying, I can't eat that, I can't eat that. Then I found a table of grilled and steamed veggies, and took a ton of cauliflower, zucchini and peppers. Then someone handed me a glass of white wine (which I don't really drink very much anyway) and I drank a few sips, then I thought, OH NO, My Whole 30! I was so annoyed with myself, but pretty glad when I woke up!  

What day are we on? I totally lost count. I'm happy to have made it through 2 full weekends!

Hi everyone.  We are on Day 18 now Char Doll, by my reckoning!

Sorry I have not been on much this week.  I have been wondering how everyone else is doing. Didn't feel too brilliant yesterday or today for that matter and no idea why.  Have been sticking to the plan and this is my second whole 30.   Must guard against thinking I "know all the rules" because I don't, and it's surprising how I have seemed to "forget" what too may cashews look like  :P

It's great to read how you are all going for it, and the commitment you've all got. Char Doll, you and everyone else have done sooooo well through two weekends:  you are half way there.

Let's all keep going and thinking of the end result.  I lost 10lbs on my first whole 30 and it's just brilliant to be able to wear all of my wardrobe now instead of the half that I had sectioned off because it was just way too tight. 

Summer's coming - I'm not saying I will be rushing into a bikini but let's just say I will at least feel comfortable in my shorts!!

Happy Wednesday and keep posting. 

Sxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi everyone, thought I would check in as well. Really been struggling the past few days due to the two weeks straight of rain and clouds here in DC, and it has continued into today. I have really started craving non compliant foods as well. During my first Whole30, cravings went away at this point, but I am really finding myself wishing I could have "x". Maybe I am not eating enough at other meals?

Anyways, keep up the great work!

• Moderators

. Maybe I am not eating enough at other meals?

Probably this exactly... if you don't eat enough fats, protein and veggies, your body wants easy fast fuel.... and it knows historically where it's gotten this before so it manufactures a craving to try and get you to feed it the easy fast fuel...

If you want a review of your food, post two or three days of meals including portion sizes, specific veggies, protein, fat, meal timing, water intake and we can see if there's somewhere we can tweak to help kill the craving monster.

Here are the last two days:

Breakfast: 1.5 brussels sprouts and 2.5 oz ahi tuna sauteed in ghee, coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: steak salad - lettuce with 3 oz steak and 1/4 c potatoes with olive oil dressing

Dinner: curry rhubarb chicken (4-5 oz chicken cooked in coconut milk and rhubarb) with sauteed swiss chard and onion (cooked in coconut oil)

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled with 1 c brussels sprouts and frozen bell peppers and onions (cooked in ghee), black coffee

Lunch: leftover curry chicken with and swiss chard/onion

Snack: 2 cups cooked mixed veggies (cauliflower, string beans, butternut squash) with olive oil and slivered almonds

Dinner: curry chicken with wilted kale and roasted cabbage

Breakfast: Same breakfast, coffee with coconut milk

Snack: handfull of mixed nuts

Lunch: tuna salad - mixed greens, 4 oz canned tuns, 1/2 avocado, 1/3 apple, olive oil

Trying to cut out the snacks, but sometimes the times between my meals can be well over 6 hours.

• Moderators

I assume you mean 1.5 cups of sprouts... ;)

How does 2.5oz of tuna match to your own palm size? I ask the same question for any of the items where you've got the weight in oz... and then I ask why you have the weight in oz... we don't weigh or measure our food like that on Whole30... use the template guidelines which are your own hands, thumb...

Eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... I know you can hold more than two.

When salad greens are your veggie, you need a bucketful to make an impact... they're a very waterfilled veggie and they chew/wilt down to nothing so a salad needs to be enormous.

Fat used to cook is often left in the pan so unless you're using a good sized blob and then scraping the pan, you need to add fat in the form of avocado, olives, coconut, mayo, pesto (compliant), mayo based sauces etc...

If you have that much time between meals, then we suggest instead of a snack, you eat a mini meal comprised ideally of protein and fats or protein and veggies... in a perfect world it would be a smaller template meal with all three macros.

Nuts on their own can be food without brakes and nuts are meant to be limited anyway because they're not a good balanced fat source and can be very disruptive to the gut... limited being a closed handful every other day at most...

Take a look again at the template below and make your meals to match.f

Also, make sure you're drinking enough water... 1/2oz per pound of body weight.

Hello all,

I am on day 17.  I feel okay but I need to go shopping for some more veggies and proteins.  I did have some cravings for some snacks but it went away when I ate dinner.  My routine was to come home and eat chips and other stuff but that has gone away.  I try to eat enough during my 3 meals that I don't have cravings.

Hello all,

I am on day 17. I feel okay but I need to go shopping for some more veggies and proteins. I did have some cravings for some snacks but it went away when I ate dinner. My routine was to come home and eat chips and other stuff but that has gone away. I try to eat enough during my 3 meals that I don't have cravings.

I know just how you feel about the snacking. I was a grazer, so would snack throughout the day. The meals do fill me up but I still find late nights hard. I'm still not sleeping and will lay in bed for 3-4 hours before I can get to sleep. Although not hungry I find myself grabbing a snack. I guess another habit I need to work on in the remaining 13 days! Wow! I cannot believe we're past the halfway point.

FINALLY! On DAY 17...my stomach and GI system seem to be stabilizing!! Gah! I'm soooo happy that I'm no longer experiencing weird pains and rumblings after I eat. I was getting worried that I couldn't do this any longer and/or that I had a much bigger issue on my hands that a change in diet couldn't fix.

I'm very happy about this new development.

That said, I'm starting to have cravings again. Mostly for chocolate and sweets...and I think I know why that's happening, but I'm hoping that I can find ways to redirect those thoughts. Lol!

Whoo hoo day 18! We are so close to day 20 how exciting! Almost the final ten days before we start the next phase. I was so excited to reach day ten, a double digit day but I am even more excited and proud to reach day 20 with all of you. I have a lifetime of memories of doing things to 90% and then not completing them. In this case I know I am going to finish this! I am committed. It has been really good seeing the changes in how clothes fit, how I feel, my mood, and learning how to like vegetables. With that said, I know some people have said to me they could never do this because they like to have a beer/wine too much after work. Lately, I have been having my after work cravings for soda like people typically want their alcoholic beverage. I was a heavy soda drinker before. I just struggle through it but man those cravings suck. I also seem to be hungrier lately especially late at night. So I have been eating a spoonful of almond butter with a glass of water. It seems to work at killing the hunger and satisfying the hunger. If anyone thinks this is a bad idea please let me know.

I learned a lesson about eating out this past week. I saw posts about going to Chipotle and to order a salad, what meat to get and how some people order double meat since you leave off the cheese, sour cream, etc. I was really hungry so I decided to order the double meat but this was a mistake. So was eating the salad in front of a TV show I love because I then ate the whole thing before I realized what I had done because it was so yummy and I was so hungry. When I was done and got up I instantly realized how stuffed I was. I felt so uncomfortable and then sick the rest of the night, overnight and paid for it the next morning. My gut really couldn't handle that large portion of a serving. I realized I always ate their burritos before and would get three meals out of one burrito. The burrito is easy portion control. The salad was not. Also, I realized how important it is for me to eat smaller portion sized meals like I have been in order to keep my gut happy. Lastly, it was a realization of how often I was responsible for how bad I felt for overeating. Thinking about how many places serve these large size portions and how often we all over eat out of habit. Again, I am happy to be doing this and learning these things for they are not things you can ignore. 

I do have these two blemishes that are still hanging out on my chin that I was so hoping this eating would help clear up. They are improving but they are not gone. I saw the other posts about peoples nails and skin improving. I do see my nails improving and skin is softer. Hopefully these blemishes are just days away from being gone.  :)

I wish you all a great Day 18 and beyond. 

I feel so good, I actually lost count of what day it was. Can't believe it's day 18 already! 

This week has been a true test of my willpower with one bridal shower and two birthdays at work, but I managed to resist the cupcakes, cake and corn chips. I almost had a moment of weakness, but I knew deep down anything that I ate wouldn't be worth not completing the 30 days as planned. Also, the reflux I had been dealing with for the last 7 months seems to have vanished. I don't want to speak to soon, but I truly do feel great/relieved from it. 

This is Day 17 for me, and I am still going strong. I know you're not supposed to think about food all the time, but the meals I have been making are so yummy that I can't wait to get home and eat the leftovers! :) 

I went on vacation with my family last weekend. Luckily we had a kitchen, so I cooked the majority of our meals. The hardest part was not drinking, especially on Kentucky Derby day because I LOVE mint juleps. However, my family was so impressed with how good all the meals I made were that my mom was convinced to start her own Whole 30 (She's on day 3)! I will say that days 10 - 13 I had headaches all day. They were mild, but still very annoying. I guess my body was still in detox mode. 

Also, I made my own mayonnaise and succeeded on the first try! And it's really delicious. I made Madras Chicken Salad with it (recipe from Nom Nom Paleo). http://nomnompaleo.com/post/108235360133/whole30-day-16-madras-chicken-salad 

Anyone not sleeping still? I ate dinner around 6:30 and have been unable to get to sleep. I need to be up in five hours. Ugh!

Hi Kimber, I am with you.  My target time for dinner every day is 6p.  That is so that we have a good amount of time before bed.  I'm having trouble getting to sleep as well.  I am going through menopause so it's tough for me to decipher if it's hormonal.  In thinking about this I think the W30 would be correcting this.  Maybe it's just still working it's magic.  :-)

Day 19, Good morning my fellow W30ers!  I wanted to check in and report today as I am singing the praises of W30 with two more friends jumping on board.  I am feeling so great that I just can't say enough about it.  My skin is incredible.  I have hypothyroidism and one of the classic symptoms is very dry skin.  If I forget to moisturize directly after the shower every day, my legs have tiny white flakes.  That is GONE!  My skin is moist and smooth.  It's unbelievable.  I have energy galore.  I've started my Cize program that's been gathering dust since I purchased it months ago and loving it.  I will have to say that there are only two things that baffle me at this stage in the game.  I am really having hot flashes and trouble sleeping.  Two things I have noticed.  It's not in my head....it's happening.  I have real trouble with B12 making me overheat and so my theory is that the B12 in so much animal protein may be the culprit.  Any thoughts on this is very much appreciated.  Hang Tough Friends!!  We go this.

I am! I'm still going strong. Well strong may not be the exact word. I've been very tired lately. Not sure why. Following the guidelines and taking my vitamins normally. Problem is I can't sleep or nap, so it's catching up to me. I'm proud of myself because I've found myself in several social situations and have been able to adapt. So no slip ups. We've come too far and are so close to the finish line. I'm rereading the book to prepare myself for the next phase. There's not anything I'm craving badly. And I know my foods to avoid. Let the countdown begin. Hope everyone else is having great success and shedding old habits.

I'm still in as well! I haven't posted for a while, but have enjoyed reading all the posts. Everything seems to be going well for me. There are times when I am making food for the kids, that it gets really hard to resist, but it has been good for me to not just put everything in my mouth that 'looks' good. I can tell my clothes fit better too which is so nice. I'm quite interested to see how I feel introducing foods again!!! 9 days and counting!

Archived