Tacos

So, the start of my week 2 falls on Cinco De Mayo, and there's a pretty good chance my friends at Bible study are going to use that as an excuse to have "Taco Thursday."

The good news is, I can actually pass on the American ground beef and shredded cheese tacos. I'd much rather have a simple street taco: meat, chopped onion, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice (though, I'm not against adding avocado to that mix). 

I'm considering bringing all the fixings for more traditional street tacos (including a package of corn tortillas for everyone else. I'm just not sure what I should use as a tortilla substitute. Lettuce? 

Or would making paleo tacos be considered SWYPO?

Lettuce wraps aren't generally considered SWYPO! But if you made tortillas out of almond flour or something like that, it would be.

Just be careful about the taco seasoning you use (most commercial have corn starch and other crap). I'd just make my own blend. (There are a zillion recipes out there for taco spice blend.)

When I was a kid, we used to have taco pile ons, which was great. It was kind of a mix between nachos and a burrito bowl. Now my "pile on" consists of whatever veggies, proteins, and fats I have lying around. (I'm diabetic, and tortillas and my blood sugar are not friends, regardless of corn or flour)

It's already been mentioned but I have yet to find a commercial taco spice mix that has no grains or sugar added to it. I found a recipe for a compliant one via Google and now it's all I use w30 or not! I'd definitely be wary of the meat if you aren't the one preparing it.

If you wanna make a good spicy compliant meat that adds to the street taco feel, I really like tacos al pastor. I found a crockpot paleo recipe that's compliant and kinda spicy and my husband keeps wanting me to make it and I can tell you from experience, it's a crowd pleaser with lime, cilantro and onion for toppings. I just google "paleo tacos al pastor crockpot"

Just be careful about the taco seasoning you use (most commercial have corn starch and other crap). I'd just make my own blend. (There are a zillion recipes out there for taco spice blend.)

It's already been mentioned but I have yet to find a commercial taco spice mix that has no grains or sugar added to it. I found a recipe for a compliant one via Google and now it's all I use w30 or not!

I'm always pimping @ladyshanny's taco seasoning recipe: http://forum.whole30.com/topic/26998-ground-beef-master-recipe-question/#entry284418

I'm actually planning on purchasing a new crockpot. Now, my family already has one that works just fine, but I want to buy one with a locking lid for travel. My plan is to throw the meat and seasonings into the crockpot in the morning and plug it in either an unused classroom or the break room at work (I work at a new, small preschool). Since I have to pick up my organic co-op box on my way to Bible study, I won't have time to go home to pick up the crock-pot, so I'll just cook the meat at work. I'm also looking at making a simple salad that I can pretty much throw together when I get there. I'll probably do something with mango, avocado, and arugula (I'll pre-chop everything but the avocado).

The more I think about it, the more I think I'll probably just eat the taco fillings with a little chopped white onion, lime juice, and cilantro with a fork and skip the lettuce wrap. I'll just get tortillas for everyone else. 

I definitely know of the dangers of seasoning mixes which is why I figured to be proactive and make something to share. Of course, if people want to bring the ingredients to make more Americanized tacos (ground beef with taco seasoning, cheese, sour cream, etc) I'll have to deal with being around it, but at least I'll have an option that's safe for me there. Plus, I won't have to miss out on the festivities, and I'll be able to contribute something. (And, honestly, I'm hoping people decide we should do multiple kinds of tacos because I want leftovers!)

I'll probably be bringing a lot of salads to Bible study, but other than that, this is likely to be my only main meal/entree contribution. Most weeks, I'll bring a salad to share and pair it with whatever protein/fat I decide to bring with me for my own dinner. 

• Moderators

I'm always pimping @ladyshanny's taco seasoning recipe: http://forum.whole30.com/topic/26998-ground-beef-master-recipe-question/#entry284418

I just had taco meat with her seasoning recipe on it for breakfast this morning... sauteed frozen mixed veggies, leftover taco beef and a blop of home made mayo cut with the juice of half a lime... delicious!

• Moderators

Plantain tortillas are good substitutes... (mod removed link to non compliant foods)

No, sorry, there are is no substituting baked goods with complaint ingredients. This is called Sex With Your Pants On (SWYPO) and it is off limits... take a google and you'll find a ton of info on this theory. I am editing your post to remove the link.

No, sorry, there are is no substituting baked goods with complaint ingredients. This is called Sex With Your Pants On (SWYPO) and it is off limits... take a google and you'll find a ton of info on this theory. I am editing your post to remove the link.

Oops, sorry. Out of curiosity, what makes them not ok but lettuce wraps ok... Isn't it sorta the same thing?

• Moderators

Lettuce is a vegetable that grows flat and can wrap around things...It may be acting like a food holder but it isn't pretending to be something other than lettuce wrapped around food.

Baked goods that are made to be your old favourites but with compliant ingredients are pretending to be a tortilla... and since baked goods are not allowed, making baked goods with compliant ingredients is not allowed either...

Now, if someone had a serious mental addiction to eating only food wrapped in a holder, we might tell them to put down the lettuce wraps for a while... but that is an unlikely scenario... ;)

Archived