Liquid intake requirements?

I have looked to see if this has been listed somewhere but haven't found it.  Is there a recommended daily amount of liquids?  I have my cup of coffee or tea in the morning and then drink a lot of water during the day.  Are there any restrictions/suggestions regarding amounts?

• Moderators

We recommend water over anything else and Karen is right... 1/2 of water per pound of bodyweight. So if you weighed 120 pounds, you would need to drink 60 ounces of water every day. And think of that as water you drink aside from anything you might consume during exercise.

Wow!  That's a lot of water.  I'm up for the challenge though - and probably do that on a daily basis without knowing it :) .  Does my morning tea count towards that amount?

Actually after doing the calcuations it's just over 1/2 gallon for me.  Easy peasy!

Last question (I think).  Is it alright to drink more water than the half ounce per pound?  I don't really exercise, other than chasing my grandson around. But by my recent calcuations, I drink more than the recommmended amount of water.

Yes, not a problem - the recommendation is a minimum guideline.

• 4 weeks later...

So I have a question...I understand that we should be drinking a lot of water. But I was reading It Starts With Food last night, and it indicates that we should NOT be drinking water with meals. What do most people drink with their meals then? For the last 15 years, I've always put a pitcher of ice water on the table with dinner.

• Moderators

Oh, I don't remember where it says that you shouldn't drink water with your meals... if you have digestion problems such as heart burn, acid reflux or poor digestion, then sometimes its recommended to not drink with meals as it dilutes your stomach acid but if you've been doing it with no problems then carry on!

Oh, I don't remember where it says that you shouldn't drink water with your meals... if you have digestion problems such as heart burn, acid reflux or poor digestion, then sometimes its recommended to not drink with meals as it dilutes your stomach acid but if you've been doing it with no problems then carry on!

Thank you! Maybe it was in a chapter that has to do with digestive issues that I was reading that.

Archived