W30 -Ketogenic diet, Kidneys & autoimmune disease

hi everyone,

I am looking to plan a meal - the current situation is kidneys issues ( not much time left before i will need dialysis), and autoimmunity disease and inflammation, yeah it's bad.

however, after reading the whole30 & robbwolf articles i came down to that:

I need ketogenic diet including 80% fat, 10-15% carbohydrate and 10% proteins.

AND

Need to avoid:  all the whole30 stuff(dairy,grains,legumes..etc) AND- nightshades & fructose.

nightshades because of autoimmunity and fructose because of kidneys issues.

What i eat right now: a lot of fruits,proteins,nightshades,sugar and the bad stuff.. not very good.

What's your opinions about that ketogenic plan?, is anyone been there? :)

please don't be afraid to give out your opinion, of course I'm going to ask for medical advice as well. but i want to start the change with food too, and NOW. it seems like doctors don't find the true solution for years, so i will give it a chance.

It's not gonna hurt anything to avoid high FODMAP foods and I have a friend who discovered she had a nightshade sensitivity and still is able to enjoy a lot of delicious foods (I made her a nightshade free Thai curry that she devoured! It was surprisingly still really flavorful, despite the lack of chilies!)

As you look for recipes for nightshade free stuff, you can look for AIP recipes (autoimmune protocol... It eliminates a lot more than just nightshades, but it's guaranteed nightshade free) and make sure they're compliant with the keto/w30.

Hopefully you can prolong the life of your kidneys a little longer by some dietary choices:)

Whole30 is not designed to be a ketogenic diet and the template reflects this. Melissa has also stated in quite clear terms that if you are not familiar with a ketogenic diet, and have never done a Whole30 that it would not be wise to combine the two.

It's easy enough to avoid both high FODMAPs & nightshades on Whole30, although it can be quite restrictive in terms of both variety and nutrients, but it would also naturally lower your carb intake - which may be low enough carb & high enough fat for you (particularly if you grasp that fat is your friend here and eat to the high end of the template in terms of fat intake) to see marked improvement in your symptoms.

Bear in mind that FODMAPs fall into three categories - fructose, fructans and polyols - if it's just the fructose you need to eliminate then you're in a much better place as far as variety is concerned.

Keto is not something to be embarked on lightly and without proper research, knowledge, and self experimentation - especially when it's being done for medical purposes.

I get that you want to make changes NOW, and I respect & appreciate that you want to take steps to improve your health - which is a great thing - but I'd suggest you complete a Whole30 BY THE BOOK before you start trying to further hack the program.

Make sure you see a doctor first, low carb can be hard on the kidneys, depending on what your issues are.

Do you know you have an autoimmune disease?

Yes, I do. Actually I take "humira" and it helps me ALOT.

I'm still a bit confuse- lets say that I try to eat more than 10-15% carbs- do I need to eliminate carbs like potatoes(nightshade), sweet potato(sugars)?

I keep researching, but until I find the ideal food for me- I want to start eliminate the obvious bad guys

Yes, I do. Actually I take "humira" and it helps me ALOT.

I'm still a bit confuse- lets say that I try to eat more than 10-15% carbs- do I need to eliminate carbs like potatoes(nightshade), sweet potato(sugars)?

I keep researching, but until I find the ideal food for me- I want to start eliminate the obvious bad guys

If you have known issues with nightshades & high FODMAP foods then you should eliminate those for the good of your health.

Every type of fruit and vegetable contains some amount of carbs, but what you would be eating on Whole30 (whilst also eliminating nightshades & FODMAPS) would be a significantly lower percentage of carbs than you are currently eating. The exact percentage would depend on which types of vegetables you eat, and how much of them you eat in relation to the protein & fat that you are eating alongside them..

Archived