I hate mayonnaise

Haddasah7

Hello, everyone. I have a bit of a problem in my meal planning and I'm hoping someone will have some suggestions. On pages 160-161 of The Whole 30 book, they talk about the things all Whole 30'ers should have on hand at all times. The first is Basic Mayonnaise and the last is some kind of protein salad (which starts with mayo as the binding agent). The problem is:

I hate mayonnaise.

Yes, I've made the recipe according to the instructions in the book - both the regular and the egg-free variety. (And I did remember to use light olive oil.) I still gag on the taste.

I noticed that they suggested mashed avocado as a binding agent, and that has worked OK, but my question is this:

Does anyone have any other ideas or concoctions for a binding agent other than mayo or avocado? (Surely there's someone else out there that can't stand the taste of mayo?) Thanks for any and all comments.

BTW, this is my 3rd Whole 30 and I'm on Day 5.

• Moderators

Mashed avocado is the best sub in that particular usage.  If it's the taste you don't like, you could change the seasonings -- lots of garlic (fresh or roasted), hot sauce, or any herbs that you might find in a ranch dressing recipe. If you really don't like it, you'll just need to use other fat sources, and the protein salads are probably not going to be your best bet for meals.

You could try mixing the proteins, veggies or fruits, and herbs suggested for protein salads, and add some olive oil -- it won't be the same as the protein salad, but you could still serve that mix on a big salad, or with some other vegetable sides.

You could also just skip that option and have leftover meats and veggies instead. For fats, add avocado or olives or coconut on the side with your meals, or make sauces or dips (Moroccan dipping sauce, chimichurri, and sunshine sauce are good options with no mayo).

Have you always hated mayo? I only ask because when I made mayo with light olive oil it was one of the most disgusting things I've tasted in a long time. Made some with almond oil and it was lovely. I also really came to like homemade almond oil mayo mixed with a bunch of hot sauce.

If you haven't tried many combos, it's worth trying different oils and acids (lemon vs acv), mayo can be quite different.

That said, there's a lot of people who can't eat eggs or who don't like the texture and never eat any mayo.

It can certainly be done :) You may need to review what you skip over in hunting through recipes, there's no mayo in things like thai curries or zoodles.

I like a classic vinaigrette. 3 parts extra virgin olive oil, 1 part acid (vinegar or citrus juice), and a little Dijon or whole grain mustard.

It won't bind your protein salad but it's a tasty good fat alternative.

I like a classic vinaigrette. 3 parts extra virgin olive oil, 1 part acid (vinegar or citrus juice), and a little Dijon or whole grain mustard.

It won't bind your protein salad but it's a tasty good fat alternative.

There were a lot of delis near my office when I used to work in NYC that would have regular tuna salad made with mayo and "Italian" tuna salad made with vinaigrette. It seemed to hold together alright :) 

Thank you all for your suggestions! I appreciate the replies.

In response to laura_juggles, Yes, I have always hated mayo. I read in the Whole 30 book where they say "Don't like mayo? Well, you haven't tried OUR mayo." Well, I did try both egg-free and regular mayo recipes and tasted with an open mind - I WANTED to like it! LOL! But I couldn't get past the first spoonful.

I was just hoping there was some other thick "sauce" binding agent recipe that someone knew about that I could try. I will keep using the mashed up avocado.

I've prepared over 75% of the recipes in the Whole 30 book and haven't had ONE not taste wonderful, except the mayo. Oh, well.

But, really, I appreciate everyone's replies! Thank you!

Thank you all for your suggestions! I appreciate the replies.

In response to laura_juggles, Yes, I have always hated mayo. I read in the Whole 30 book where they say "Don't like mayo? Well, you haven't tried OUR mayo." Well, I did try both egg-free and regular mayo recipes and tasted with an open mind - I WANTED to like it! LOL! But I couldn't get past the first spoonful.

I was just hoping there was some other thick "sauce" binding agent recipe that someone knew about that I could try. I will keep using the mashed up avocado.

I've prepared over 75% of the recipes in the Whole 30 book and haven't had ONE not taste wonderful, except the mayo. Oh, well.

But, really, I appreciate everyone's replies! Thank you!

I'm not one for mayo either. I can tolerate non commercial mayo some. But I found what really helps me is finding a compliant seasoning mix and making it southwestern flavor. My Texas heart loves the spicy and it doesn't taste like mayo. Maybe you could do something similar for a protein salad binder?

I'm not a mayo fan either- but for some reason when eating out (not on W30, obviously), I love dipping my fries in different fancy aiolis. Don't ask. I don't understand it myself. 

I do have a jar of Primal Kitchen mayo, and I don't find myself gagging whenever I open it. I primarily bought it to make deviled eggs, but I've even branched out and made chicken salad. Perhaps there is still hope for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I actually like Mayo... (like with my tuna), but the "Paleo" kind I found online is disgusting. I can't seem to find one that I can stand... Anyone know one as close to Best Foods as possible?

there are non that are close to best foods, that has a ton of sugar... have you tried making your own?  It's a different thing altogether from store bought and it's amazing...

My husband will be starting W30 with me this weekend.  It'll be my Day 31 and his Day 1.

Problem is, he doesn't like mayo, avocado or coconut.  He likes olives, but I don't imagine he'd want them 3 meals a day.  I know nuts are limited, and I could add bacon to some items.  I am just struggling to find other "added fats" so that he'll have a good variety and not get bored of the few he likes. 

I know for salads I can add olive oil, but...   If I make a skillet stir-fry and can't count the cooking fat as the added fat - I don't want to add olive oil on to of that - it would just make it too greasy. 

What are some of everyone's favorite "fatty" sauces?  Like Sunshine Sauce.  Any other creative ideas?

• Moderators

How about pesto or chimichurri?  Ranch, tzatziki, guacamole (still avocado but definitely flavored differently), thousand island dressing. I like sundried tomatoes packed in olive oil... the tomato is good and if you scoop out the oil with it, that's really good with eggs, chicken etc... 

I actually like Mayo... (like with my tuna), but the "Paleo" kind I found online is disgusting. I can't seem to find one that I can stand... Anyone know one as close to Best Foods as possible?

Best Foods has added sugar, I think, but I remember it was "the mayo" at our house when I was growing up.

I make my own with white balsamic vinegar, which has a little natural sweetness, compared to lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.  I also use light olive oil and avocado oil in about a 50-50 mix, and add salt and dry mustard.

It's not the same as Best Foods (better IMO), but it is slightly reminiscent...

I don't really like mayo either, but I'll eat it in egg salad with lots of mustard, salt and pepper. That's actually the only thing I eat it in as far as I can think of.

I make Mexican Tuna a lot (tuna mixed with avocado, chili powder, and lime juice). You don't MUST eat protein salad. There's loads of other stuff you can keep around...grilled chicken, burgers, veggie sticks & dressing, veggie soup....

My husband will be starting W30 with me this weekend.  It'll be my Day 31 and his Day 1.

Problem is, he doesn't like mayo, avocado or coconut.  He likes olives, but I don't imagine he'd want them 3 meals a day.  I know nuts are limited, and I could add bacon to some items.  I am just struggling to find other "added fats" so that he'll have a good variety and not get bored of the few he likes. 

I know for salads I can add olive oil, but...   If I make a skillet stir-fry and can't count the cooking fat as the added fat - I don't want to add olive oil on to of that - it would just make it too greasy. 

What are some of everyone's favorite "fatty" sauces?  Like Sunshine Sauce.  Any other creative ideas?

For stir-fry I love to finish with a drizzle of sesame oil and some sesame seeds or with a sauce made with: sesame oil, grated ginger or ginger juice (just pressed ginger), minced garlic, non-southwest hot sauce (I use cherry pepper hot sauce from the farmer's market) or minced chilis or chili oil (check to make sure it is made with olive oil or sesame oil and not peanut oil), coconut aminos, and compliant fish sauce or shrimp paste (we can't find compliant fish sauce near us, but had compliant shrimp paste which adds the same type of flavor). It tastes a lot like a traditional stir-fry sauce. 

Archived