mindless snacking/eating too much even though compliant

KandyS

This is my day 7 of my second whole30. I am really trying to get away from emotional eating/eating out of boredom, habit, cravings, etc. My goal is to truly follow the meal template for my 3 meals a day and NOT snack between meals unless TRULY hungry (which usually I am not) especially at night. The first whole30 I did several months ago was a good introduction for me and I did well sticking to the plan with regards to eating the correct food. However, I still did the thing where when I was craving something, I WOULD over eat nuts, nut butters, sweet potatoes...all of those technically compliant foods which still feed my sugar dragon and satisfy my cravings. 

This time around THAT is what I want to tackle. I know what foods to eat and what foods are best for me to stay away from. I want to regulate my hormones and not have this pleasure/guilt relationship with food.

That is why I am posting on this forum now...I need to be serious about my goals and stay motivated! I had done GREAT for 4-5 days and my stomach was feeling SO much better already and I was proud of myself. But something happened yesterday and I was having all those old feelings of emptiness, false hunger, wanting to just eat something now even though I wasn't truly hungry. I found myself mindlessly eating in between meals when I wasn't hungry several times. And of course by the end of the day I felt overly full, bloated, and really bothered at myself because I had done so well and then I don't know what happened! 

Continuing on, I want to remember how NOT worth it it is to give into those cravings!

I know it's not easy to break that kind of mentality but maybe try something different, like going for a glass of water or exercising a little when the emotional need for eating happens. Is there a way to get rid of the problem foods that you tend to munch on during your whole 30? Like tell a friend "hey! You like almonds! Here you go!" so it's not in your house? (Also avoid trying to buy it again)

Or maybe get a journal and write out your emotions in why you're trying to munch. Or have a friend/roommate/family member be your accountability. "I really want to munch right now! Help!"

Basically, try non food ways of meeting those emotional needs :) I'm glad you're being proactive in remedying this :)

Thanks so much Karen for the encouragement and tips! Very helpful! Yes getting rid of those foods is going to be key! For example, I just finished the last of my coconut butter....not going to buy more! Not going to have those problematic foods readily available just waiting for those times of weakness.

Those were great ideas for distracting myself, too. I'm going to make a list of healthy non-eating ideas to do when I'm tempted to eat emotionally! :)

It really helps to be able to express myself and get such helpful support here. Thanks!

Many people find success in 'shutting up shop' in the evenings - ie. closing the kitchen once the evening meal is eaten & the dishes cleared.

Other things that help are cleaning teeth, finding a hobby such as crafting that occupies both the hands & the mind, and requires hands to be clean which will put you off reaching for handfuls of nuts...

Keeping a journal is a good way of identifying triggers for these behaviours which will also enable you to change your reaction to them in the future.

• Moderators

Hi, KandyS. In addition to the excellent advice from Karen, I'd say make sure you're eating enough at meals (sometimes people who have a history of calorie restricting underestimate how much they need to be eating -- if you're not sure if you're on the right track, feel free to list a day or two of typical meals, including approximate portion sizes as they relate to the meal template), and if you do have these cravings for sweets and distractions aren't working and you feel you really must eat something, have some fat of some kind, like olives or avocado, or go for something definitely not sweet like pickles or sauerkraut or a hard boiled egg. Don't have sweet things when you crave sweets or you'll just keep craving them.

Thanks everyone for the excellent advice! I love the "shutting up shop" idea, definitely going to do that. Also I'm realizing how important it is for me to not eat any of my trigger foods like fruit or nuts when I am having cravings! I think I'm going to start a food log to help keep me on track too.

This forum is great! I feel much less discouraged and more confident today. I'm realizing how important the support is as no one else is really on board at home....

Archived