Chewing Gum alternatives (for activity, not fresh breath)

Barfygarfy

There are a few gum threads on here, but nothing I found was recent so I thought it worth reaching out. Long story short, my hubby and I are starting our first Whole30 one week from today. We already eat a LOT of whole foods, and while it will be a change to not be eating plain greek yogurt and grains every day, we aren't particularly concerned. The majority of the Whole30 foods are things we keep in the house, plus we get to increase some things that we love and usually minimize, like AVOCADO and olives. Yum! The biggest challenge for ME will be eating more meat as I've been moving away from that lately. 

HIS biggest concern is not being able to chew gum at work. I've read about chewing mint leaves, making your own tree sap gum, etc. Let me clarify that this is NOT an issue of curbing cravings or having bad breath. He's a nurse who works 12-16 hour overnight shifts, and sometimes he doesn't even get a break to eat his meal/s. Chewing gum helps him manage anxiety and stay alert. He also only works 2-3 shifts per week, and doesn't necessarily chew gum on the off days. 

He's a beer brewer who is willing to give up alcohol for the month, but he's not confident he can make it through work shifts without having something to chew on. For hygiene purposes, I know he can't do flavored toothpicks, and I'm not sure about mint leaves. Any other nurses or long-shifters out there who can give us any advice? While I understand (and plan to embrace) the strictness of the Whole30 protocol (*I'm* the one here who struggles with food addiction, cravings, migraines and chronic joint inflammation and I'm looking forward to the potential benefits of the Whole30 experience) I feel like if he's adhering in all other ways surely he will experience some benefits even if chews a pack of gum over the month. Agree? Disagree? He's not a pack-a-day chewer, but I could see him going through a pack over the course of 8-10 shifts. 

Thanks!

Hey there & welcome to Whole30...

I don't really have a solution for you but wanted to throw it out there that the thing about chewing gum is that is fools the digestive system into thinking there is food on the way when there really isn't, as the act of chewing stimulates the production of digestive enzymes - so chewing in that way is detrimental to digestion and might be a habit he wants to get out of.

If he is prone to anxiety be sure that he includes foods that are naturally high in serotonin & tryptophan such as  oily fish, mushrooms, seafood, sweet potatoes & white potatoes, bananas, tuna, turkey & brazil nuts. He should also ensure he eats at least a fist sized serving of starchy veg per day, more if he feels his mood is low.

When you say he doesn't get a break to eat his meals - would he have time to grab a boiled egg or some meatballs dipped in some mayo? or a handful of olives? Egg/meat/veg muffins? Foods that are grab & go...

Hey there & welcome to Whole30...

I don't really have a solution for you but wanted to throw it out there that the thing about chewing gum is that is fools the digestive system into thinking there is food on the way when there really isn't, as the act of chewing stimulates the production of digestive enzymes - so chewing in that way is detrimental to digestion and might be a habit he wants to get out of.

If he is prone to anxiety be sure that he includes foods that are naturally high in serotonin & tryptophan such as  oily fish, mushrooms, seafood, sweet potatoes & white potatoes, bananas, tuna, turkey & brazil nuts. He should also ensure he eats at least a fist sized serving of starchy veg per day, more if he feels his mood is low.

When you say he doesn't get a break to eat his meals - would he have time to grab a boiled egg or some meatballs dipped in some mayo? or a handful of olives? Egg/meat/veg muffins? Foods that are grab & go...

Thanks for the welcome and response! Thank you SO MUCH for the tips on foods that are high in serotonin & tryptophan. Most of these we eat regularly (all of them, actually, but not in the quantities we'll be consuming over the next 30 days) and I will make note of them on the shopping list so we stock some extras. 

As far as breaks go for his work schedule, I believe that MOST nights he does get to take his break. One shift earlier this week was particularly bad and he literally ate nothing but chewing gum (chewed it, didn't "eat" it LOL) from 7pm - 8am when he got home and finally ate something. But I know he's working some understaffed shifts in the coming month, so I'll push him to prepare for that. My guess would be that he could at least grab hard boiled eggs on a bathroom break. Great ideas!!!! So grateful for this forum!

QuilterInVA: I would never have thought of cardamon seeds! I'll suggest he tries that. Thank you!!! We will be hitting 3 stores on Saturday, including a co-op and I imagine they may have them in the bulk section. :) 

Archived