Ideal dairy replacement for tea and coffee?

Munden

Re tea and coffee; I miss the milk in these beverages, and have tried various alternatives without any success. I've tried coconut milk/cream, rice cream (rice is a no no on this plan), but it's too watery or .

Has anyone found an ideal substitute?

Thanks.

• Moderators

The closest I've found to the feel of dairy in my coffee is to blend the coffee with some coconut milk or cream and some coconut oil, but you do have to actually blend it, not just stir it with a spoon or the oil will just float on top.

That said, over time I've gotten more used to just coconut milk in it and the blended combo with the oil and milk feels more like a special treat.

You are buying canned coconut milk, right? The stuff in a carton seems less thick to me than the canned ones.

• Moderators

The closest I've found to the feel of dairy in my coffee is to blend the coffee with some coconut milk or cream and some coconut oil, but you do have to actually blend it, not just stir it with a spoon or the oil will just float on top.

That said, over time I've gotten more used to just coconut milk in it and the blended combo with the oil and milk feels more like a special treat.

You are buying canned coconut milk, right? The stuff in a carton seems less thick to me than the canned ones.

I'm super lucky, my grocery store has coconut milk in cartons... Real Thai it's called... it comes in 1L packs and sometimes it's so thick it comes out in clumps... This is shelf stable tho and not in the refrigerated section... the stuff in those cartons is often not compliant and extremely thin and watery...

• Moderators

I'm super lucky, my grocery store has coconut milk in cartons... Real Thai it's called... it comes in 1L packs and sometimes it's so thick it comes out in clumps... This is shelf stable tho and not in the refrigerated section... the stuff in those cartons is often not compliant and extremely thin and watery...

Yeah, I should have been more specific -- it's the refrigerated stuff in cartons that sometimes is called coconut beverage or something that's thin and watery. I order Aroy-D from Amazon sometimes that comes in little 8 oz cartons but is nothing but coconut and water, more like the canned stuff, and it's usually pretty thick.

• Moderators

Yeah, I should have been more specific -- it's the refrigerated stuff in cartons that sometimes is called coconut beverage or something that's thin and watery. I order Aroy-D from Amazon sometimes that comes in little 8 oz cartons but is nothing but coconut and water, more like the canned stuff, and it's usually pretty thick.

Ya, that's what I get... 89% coconut milk and water.. you can actually order that one from amazon too I think (in Canada anyway)... I feel super lucky to be able to have access to it... I have 14 cartons at home right now because my store is a bit hit or miss so I've made a stockpile... 

Archived