I think I reacted to Salmon...then felt like I was hit by a truck.

kad70

Hello,  I'm on Day 6 today!  (Yea me!!   :D )  Despite feeling like I was hit by a truck on Day 5, I lived to tell another day.  LOL  

So, everything was going along just swimmingly until yesterday.  I woke up feeling like death and continued to feel that way all day and night.  LIke I went to the school nurse and asked her to take my temperature because I didn't know if I legitimately had a virus/flu-like thing or if this were my body revolting.  I was nauseous, throbbing head ache, exhausted, achy (all over/my joints), chills, the thought of food made me horribly queasy, the smells of food made me want to puke (I haven't experienced that since either one of my pregnancies!!!). I hardly ate a thing yesterday.  The only thing I could even remotely choke down was some fruit and water or sparkling water with lemon.  That was it.  Sans the achiness and chills, it was reminiscent of first trimester morning sickness.  

Today I'm, thankfully, feeling better but still not loving the idea of eating.  My stomach is gurgly and churning a bit, and I've had a couple episodes of diarrhea.   I was able to eat more today and definitely but slowly increased protein, fat and veggies.  Here's what I'm wondering.  I just looked back at my food log and saw that I ate Salmon Cakes (Whole30 recipe) for dinner on Day 4.  I also noted that I seemed to react to the salmon cakes very soon after eating dinner with big time bloating, gas, burping and general after meal discomfort for hours.  Is it more likely these flu-death-like symptoms were the result of a food sensitivity more so than "detox".  The salmon was the only new thing I would've eaten this past week.  In fact, I honestly can't remember the last time I ate salmon in any form.  Would my GI system be that sensitive and reactive to something even after just a few days?  

Thanks! Kristy 

• Moderators

Hey there!

It sounds like you have a bit of a bug or something that could be going on in concert with the Whole30, however, unfortunately salmon is known to be a bit of a gas causer for people so it could be that... maybe take the salmon out and see how you do for a few days?

Yes...agreed.  I have't had salmon since then and won't again.  LOL

I'm still feeling kind of icky.  I didn't even eat dinner.  I know you can experience GI distress when you reintroduce foods after your Whole30, but based on my past experiences with getting stomach bugs, my body is doing things that is also making me lean more towards virus.  I'm also a teacher, and I know there's a virus running its course right now.  

Thank you for your reply!  

The PS to the past 6 days is that I found the outline of my face again!  I just knew it was there!   :wub: My face (and neck) is soooooooo much less bloated. Tomorrow will bring me 1/4 into completing my Whole30.  Nice.

Archived