Maple Syrup Hands.... what?

Joey

So, sometimes I wake up in the morning and my hands smell exactly like maple syrup. I've Googled my face off, and while I can find references to things like Maple Syrup Urine Disease or the sweet breath some diabetics get, I can't find anything on maple syrup hands.

Some mornings it's stronger than others, and some mornings it's not there at all. I thought maybe it was carb-related, so I experimented with daily sweet potato consumption and it didn't seem to make a difference either way.

For a while I thought it was cool, there are worse things to smell like- but I'm getting a little concerned.

Has anyone here ever experienced this, and if so, did you ever figure it out?

I've actually consciously avoided fenugreek for several months- when it's included in something else they often don't specify whether they're using the seeds or the leaves, and I have been avoiding seeds for a while.

That was a brilliant idea though- it would be awesome if it could be that simple!

Joey, I just Googled some more since I didn't solve it with the fenugreek. When it started getting scary, I stopped. Um...you aren't in a coma are you? Joking aside, there are some medical conditions that cause it, but not going there since I only play a doctor on TV, but you might actually try to look into what is causing it.

Do you happen to use a retinol or hydroxy cream on your face? When I used one I would wake up in the morning with a mapley smell on my hands...

Hmm..I use those every night and day (ROC Day/Night creams) and I have never noticed that. Going to check it out tomorrow morning.

Joey, I just Googled some more since I didn't solve it with the fenugreek. When it started getting scary, I stopped. Um...you aren't in a coma are you? Joking aside, there are some medical conditions that cause it, but not going there since I only play a doctor on TV, but you might actually try to look into what is causing it.

Well wouldn't you know it, I AM in a coma! You don't have to turn in your Nancy Drew card after all!

Sometimes I think Google is there just to convince me I'm at Death's door 24/7. I'm thinking my doctors aren't Googlers, because no one had any idea what it could be about. The reason I posted here is because if it were a genetic or metabolic disorder you'd think it would have appeared at some time in my life before Whole30. Could just be coincidental timing, but I wondered if anyone else had similar wacky symptoms since starting.

Well wouldn't you know it, I AM in a coma! You don't have to turn in your Nancy Drew card after all!

Sometimes I think Google is there just to convince me I'm at Death's door 24/7. I'm thinking my doctors aren't Googlers, because no one had any idea what it could be about. The reason I posted here is because if it were a genetic or metabolic disorder you'd think it would have appeared at some time in my life before Whole30. Could just be coincidental timing, but I wondered if anyone else had similar wacky symptoms since starting.

LOL..yes, my 27 YO daughter is convinced she has meningococcal every time she gets a runny nose. :)

Slw -

I think its a generational ridiculously irrational fear created by all the scenes of spinal taps shown in 1990's and early 2000's doctor shows! Seriously. I'm 29 and think the SAME THING every time I get a bad headache.

Oh my...you could be right. She actually says it tongue in cheek, but I know she sort of thinks it to be true. That makes sense because she was 15 in 1990 and that's when she started saying it. I'm going to have to ask her. I'll bet she came home from school and watched doctor shows while I was still at work!

Joey--maybe you are an angel? Remember the movie Michael starring John Travolta? He always smelled like everyone's favorite dessert!

Maybe it is just your pheromones combined with whatever you are eating? Like coconut oil or something? Does it smell that way just to you or do you have someone around in the morning that can testify to this? Maybe you just want your hands to smell like maple syrup?? LOL

Joey--maybe you are an angel? Remember the movie Michael starring John Travolta? He always smelled like everyone's favorite dessert!

Maybe it is just your pheromones combined with whatever you are eating? Like coconut oil or something? Does it smell that way just to you or do you have someone around in the morning that can testify to this? Maybe you just want your hands to smell like maple syrup?? LOL

Fairly certain I am neither an angel or John Travolta. It is definitely smellable by those around me, strongly enough to where people at work have sniffed around looking for the waffle odor, until they found me. I absolutely do not want my hands to smell like maple syrup, especially since Google has me certain that it means I have 48 hours to live.

I do wonder if you might be right about it being food + my own scent somehow. It's not so bad this week, and the only thing I've done differently diet wise is add more fruit. I did also have some wacky treatment from my acupuncturist- she seemed to take it pretty seriously as symptom of something, but couldn't explain it to me in Western medical terms. So I may never know what is actually going on, but thanks for playing!

Fairly certain I am neither an angel or John Travolta. It is definitely smellable by those around me, strongly enough to where people at work have sniffed around looking for the waffle odor, until they found me. I absolutely do not want my hands to smell like maple syrup, especially since Google has me certain that it means I have 48 hours to live.

I do wonder if you might be right about it being food + my own scent somehow. It's not so bad this week, and the only thing I've done differently diet wise is add more fruit. I did also have some wacky treatment from my acupuncturist- she seemed to take it pretty seriously as symptom of something, but couldn't explain it to me in Western medical terms. So I may never know what is actually going on, but thanks for playing!

Well, at least you clearly are still not in that comma, so glass half full? :)

I've heard that your body can produce a sweet smell, and taste in your mouth for that matter, when you are rapidly losing weight. Not sure the specifics (google away), but guessing it's more likely than a coma!

I've heard that your body can produce a sweet smell, and taste in your mouth for that matter, when you are rapidly losing weight. Not sure the specifics (google away), but guessing it's more likely than a coma!

I wish that were it, but I'm one of those who gains weight on the Whole 30, so no weight loss rapid or otherwise.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived