Day 25, binged on compliant food.

Today got me. I feel like I've been strong this last 25 days with no problems. But something, whether it was just pure hunger or the gloomy weather or stress just took its toll.

I came home tonight and just couldn't stop myself from going back for just "one more handful" of plantain chips. Before I knew it the bag was almost gone. Yes, part of this seems silly. I didn't ruin my whole30. I didn't eat anything non compliant. I can't help but feel that same guilty feeling as I would use to for binging on all kinds of much worse foods in the past.

I'm scared that some of my bad habits are still very much present even though I've been feeling so good and in control until today. I'm very much scared about riding my own bike after these five last days.

Can anyone relate to just having one of those days during your whole30?

• Moderators

Today got me. I feel like I've been strong this last 25 days with no problems. But something, whether it was just pure hunger or the gloomy weather or stress just took its toll.

I came home tonight and just couldn't stop myself from going back for just "one more handful" of plantain chips. Before I knew it the bag was almost gone. Yes, part of this seems silly. I didn't ruin my whole30. I didn't eat anything non compliant. I can't help but feel that same guilty feeling as I would use to for binging on all kinds of much worse foods in the past.

I'm scared that some of my bad habits are still very much present even though I've been feeling so good and in control until today. I'm very much scared about riding my own bike after these five last days.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you did eat something non compliant. Commercially prepared chips of any kind including veggie chips and plantain chips are not allowed.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you did eat something non compliant. Commercially prepared chips of any kind including veggie chips and plantain chips are not allowed.

I did not know plantain chips were non compliant. Is it just commercially prepared or are they off plan even if you make them yourself? And just curious as to why they would be off plan?

• Moderators

I did not know plantain chips were non compliant. Is it just commercially prepared or are they off plan even if you make them yourself? And just curious as to why they would be off plan?

You can slice up a plantain and bake your own chips, but no commercially prepared chips of any kind are allowed.

Check the Can I Have list for more on this: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

I can totally relate. I had one of those days, which led to one of those weeks, which led to me going so far off the path, it's not even funny. But we have to remember to be patient with ourselves and realize that this is a process. I know personally I am an all-or-nothing kind of gal. If I eat one non-Compliant thing or take one sip of wine I'm all, well, I already slipped up so let the floodgates open! I am honestly sorry to see that you have the food police chastising you when you were seeking support and empathy. Forgive yourself and move forward. That's all we can do sometimes.

You can slice up a plantain and bake your own chips, but no commercially prepared chips of any kind are allowed.

Check the Can I Have list for more on this: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

• Moderators

Pardon me but no one was chastising her and we are not the food police. We are asked to moderate these forums to make sure that the rules are clear. Perhaps someone else may come along to read this and should no one mention that commercial plantain chips are not allowed, it may be unclear for new people or even the OP who was not aware of the rule.

Pardon me but no one was chastising her and we are not the food police. We are asked to moderate these forums to make sure that the rules are clear. Perhaps someone else may come along to read this and should no one mention that commercial plantain chips are not allowed, it may be unclear for new people or even the OP who was not aware of the rule.

I just think a softer approach would be nice, that is all.

Oh dear! Moderators volunteer to be here to helps us stay on track! I have found them to be invaluable on my journey. I'm grateful for the info on plantain chips. I make them myself once in a while, and didn't realize the rule about commercially-prepared ones.

So back off and find someone in your life to nurture and mollycoddle you. SugarCubeOD said nothing harsh or inappropriate.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I do understand the role of the moderators and I appreciate her pointing that out to me as I really did have no clue about the commercially prepared chips either. Common sense would tell me that of course potato chips would be off limits so I should have thought twice about the plantains. I also want to thank SugarcubeOD for sticking up for me and giving me much needed encouragement that day :)

Now after having much thought about my whole30 and what I wanted to do going forward, I've decided that I'm going to keep going with this round of whole30 even if I won't be able to claim it as a perfect one. I was on day 24 when I ate those chips. im very much so doing this whole30 as a reset and am really looking forward to reintroduce so I can see what foods affect me in certain ways. Although I realize it is a hard rule to stay away from the commercially prepared chips because of trying to break the habit of binging on hand fulls of chips, I feel that I did not ingest anything non complaint that will effect my results of why I wanted to do this. Therefore I'm deciding to continue. Like I said maybe I won't be able to claim that I finished a whole30 this first time around but I plan to continue on to a whole 60 and all I can do is learn and strive to be better, right? I feel incredible by the way!!!

• 1 month later...

One huge thing I have learned through this process (day 23 for me) is: some people are whole30 ingredient compliant or whole30 rules complaint, which makes it so hard at times to know if you are doing this the right way. I read many of them forums & seek answers. SugarCubeOD is amazing & so helpful & what happens is we all get ready to jump when we hear something we may preceive it the wrong way (this is interpersonal communication) If you read the book it starts with food it does talk about creating foods to "make like" the junk food. ex: potatoes & french fries is a huge one. YES potatoes are okay but cutting them & baking them in olive oil defeats the purpose all you are doing is compensating for that indulgence. I hope this makes sense. PLEASE do not attack my statement, because if I am misled myself then I hope someone can correct me too! We are in this together. 

• Moderators

If you buy a potato, cut it, oil it and bake it yourself, you're more than welcome to it... the idea behind not eating commercially available french fries is partly because they're hardly ever compliant and partly because they become food without brakes for most people... when you have to go to the trouble to make them yourself, you're often much more thoughtful about how you're eating them.  I made plantain chips (sliced thin, baked) myself and while I can get robotic in wolfing down store bought plantain chips (when not on Whole30), when I made them, I was extremely thoughtful about how much time and fiddly effort went into making them... making your own items (as long as not deep fried) brings about a new relationship with these foods...

Thanks for the cheerleading also socalmama... I appreciate it and glad you find my comments helpful :)

• 2 weeks later...

MissAlexa

If you started a bag, then found you'd finished it, when you only wanted a few, then that's clearly 'food without brakes' (or without breaks! :) )

a lot of people start W30 without doing the necessary preparation, reading the book, working out the finer details of what's in or out, and then come here asking if such and such is ok, and being surprised when they're told it's a no no.

don't worry, it's all a learning curve.  we're all newbies once.

Archived