feeling good, but not sure about weight

Hi, it's Day 11, feeling bright and breezy, but don't feel I'm losing any weight?

The type of clothes I wear don't usually tell me much about my weight as they're pretty easy-going and comfy. Until I've lost a lot that is.

Having no trouble being compliant, but maybe too many nuts - I really feel I ought to give them up. I usually have some with each meal, not even a handful, like the template says. Am I better to have EITHER nuts OR coconut milk OR none per meal, or even both very rarely. What is the moderator/experienced person's view? Would I be better not having any at all for a while to see if this is the culprit? I'm not eating any today, so we'll see how it goes.

I suppose going from being an every-day-weigher to not weighing at all, might be giving me the willies. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to cave and give up, got too far in for that, but a bit of "hang on in there and things will happen" advice would be really supportive.

I'm also not a fan of leafy green veg - are these really vital? (I sound like a three year old here!)

Personally I don't eat ANY nuts, ever. Or nut butters. They're a food with out breaks for a lot of people, and I've seen them derail many a Whole30... Plus they are an inferior fat source due to their poor omega 3:6 ratio and are recommended to be eaten in moderation only - so, say a closed handful every other day, max.

The fats listed on the template are suggestions for you to choose from - you don't have to eat all of them at every meal, but you might want to choose 1 or 2 - say a chicken salad with avocado & mayo, or veg roasted in olive oil & dipped in mayo...

You're at the stage when most people quit - hang in there - it really does get better - particularly if you don;t go nuts over the nuts  ;)

And yep, leafy greens provide fibre, and an excellent range of nutrients - they're not essential per se (you'd still be doing a Whole30 without them) but it's always good to get nutrients from as many sources as possible.

I am on day 26 of my first Whole30. I have about 50 pounds to lose and felt very frustrated at the point you are now at. I felt like I was gaining weight at first and was panicking. It wasn't until the third week that I felt like I was losing. It is more that my body composition is changing. I still don't feel like weight loss is happening quickly, but I'm finally comfortable with the idea of weight loss being the by-product of good health and not the goal. This is not a quick fix to lose weight. Thirty days is only the beginning, so don't be too discouraged.

Focus on the tasks...choosing real, interesting foods and preparing them with love and compassion for yourself. Exercising moderately and destressing regularly. Sleeping well. Having fun! It's not all about the food and pounds.

OMG! Looking back at my day 11, I can't believe I'm saying this.

I am a fan of leafy greens, but not at breakfast. So, I either sauté a huge bunch of spinach or make kale chips. The spinach reduces to only a wee amount that you need to eat from a lot of raw. Healthy too!

Hi, it's Day 11, feeling bright and breezy, but don't feel I'm losing any weight?

The type of clothes I wear don't usually tell me much about my weight as they're pretty easy-going and comfy. Until I've lost a lot that is.

Having no trouble being compliant, but maybe too many nuts - I really feel I ought to give them up. I usually have some with each meal, not even a handful, like the template says. Am I better to have EITHER nuts OR coconut milk OR none per meal, or even both very rarely. What is the moderator/experienced person's view? Would I be better not having any at all for a while to see if this is the culprit? I'm not eating any today, so we'll see how it goes.

I suppose going from being an every-day-weigher to not weighing at all, might be giving me the willies. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to cave and give up, got too far in for that, but a bit of "hang on in there and things will happen" advice would be really supportive.

I'm also not a fan of leafy green veg - are these really vital? (I sound like a three year old here!)

You are farther down the road than me. I'm on Day 5 and have the same fears. I am feeling good, but not noticing any weight loss (yes, I agree it's early and I'm sure part of me is hoping for fast magic, which isn't reasonable, blah, blah, blah). I think I'm eating too many nuts, too. I love them! I'd be curious to know if you do give them up, and how that feels and impacts on weight loss (if you can tell). Maybe more is happening than you realize! Fingers crossed for weight loss while eating nuts!  :)

Thanks everyone, that's given me food for thought - compliant food, naturally!!

The nuts have already gone in the bin - far too much "temptation" - having not eaten any for ages, then finding they were compliant might have been the thin (or fat) end of the wedge.

Lets see what the next few days brings - I'm nowhere near ready to throw in the towel!   I'll work on the greens ;)

• Moderators

Hi All,

Just curious ... I too think I should give up nuts (and butters), but if I do that and am not really eating much coconut milk or any mayo, should I just embrace the avocado and plan to eat 1-2 a day?

Thanks!

You can do that. You can also have olives for a fat source. or make sauces, dressings, and dips for your food. Something like Chimichurri or pesto or hollandaise.

Why no mayo? Even if you're not fond of the taste of just plain mayo, it can be changed up with herbs and spices.

Archived