Russian Orthodox Easter menu - ham...??

Bmill7785

I've been invited to participate in a Russian Orthodox Easter this weekend by a friend of a friend's family...I am not totally sure what's on the menu, but in my searches, I'm seeing a few "Stuffed" proteins (leg of lam, roast veal breast) - but I have no idea what they'll be stuffed with...anyone familiar with this? I also have seen ham as a primary protein for the day. I know processed deli meats are not ideal on Whole30, but what about a whole ham (like you'd buy and slice yourself)? I also realize there may be a glaze or honey-baked quality to this, but if I do not eat the edges, am I still safe? Lot of other stuff on the menus I've researched are things like stuffed pierogies, cheeses, keilbasa (which hopefully will be OK!)

Anyone out there who knows this menu and can shed some light on what items might be whole30 compliant? I will certainly ask how things are prepared but that's going to get old real quickly for the hostess, so any knowledge you can share is much appreciated!! 

Thanks all!

Chances are a lot of it won't be compliant, sadly. Ham is cured almost always with some form of sugar, the stuffings will most likely be grains... Which is a bummer for sure. If you wanna stay compliant during the day, maybe eat a mini meal before hand (with protein fats and veggies) so if you do find stuff that is compliant, you can just add to the mini meal and make it a legit meal, but if nothing is compliant, you can have another mini meal afterwards.

Hopefully you'll be able to find at least a few things that are compliant! But you are going to have to ask loads of questions first.

Archived