early lunch and after school snacks

kad70

Hello,  I'm a teacher, and my lunch is the first lunch period at school- 11am.  I eat a solid breakfast between 6am-630am which holds me well over to lunchtime.  I'm in a really good place at finding the "just right" amount of food at this point ( today is Day 8) . I'm truly not at all hungry until 11am.  (small successes!!)  Even then I'm not totally hungry.  I could probably even wait until 1130am, but my school schedule is set.  

Anyway,  with eating lunch so early in the day, I just can't make it from 11am until 6pm to eat my next meal.  I definitely need something when I get home at 4pm.  I've been eating things like an egg, a couple sausage stuffed mushrooms, half an avocado  with some olives (I know this is fat.), couple pieces of steak or a Chomp Stick. I was having a serving of fruit last week with my protein after school snack then realized that maybe I shouldn't be adding a fruit to that snack since it's really protein I'm in need of.  (I'm not having fruit with my afters chool snack anymore.) I'm most definitely NOT making a meal.  It's truly a little snack to hold me over until around 530pm or 6pm when I have a solid dinner.  I'm not hungry the rest of the evening after dinner which is absolutely blowing me away!  

Am I going in the right direction with this?  Any other suggestions, tweaks to my meal schedule, quick after school snack ideas would be great!  The other options is that I can certainly have my snack at school around 3pm after dismissal.  

Thanks in advance!
Kristy 

You're doing just fine. We don't expect your meals to keep you satiated for 7 hours (the general guidance is 4-5 hours between meals), so adding a mini-meal between your lunch and dinner, when genuinely hungry, is the way to go.

Where possible, try including a protein, carb and fat in a mini-meal.  But what you have been doing is good.

Thanks for your quick reply and the mini-meal info!!  

In a pinch, is it okay for me to eat a serving of fruit after school with my snack, or should that really be with a full meal?  The fruit is just convenient with doing stuff with the kids after school..just being honest.  LOL  I'm not having sugar cravings and generally eating 2-3 servings of fruit per day which that would be a part of.  I try to have a serving of fruit with breakfast and lunch.  Dinner is a toss-up and only if I feel like it. 

Hi there!

I completed my whole30 more than a year ago, but am still keeping it up during the week and allowing myself to eat what I want over weekends. A snack that works really well for me is half a fruit (Apple or banana is great) with raw almond butter. Just make sure you get the one without sugar or preservatives.

Hope this helps! Good luck x

Fruit is optional on a Whole30.

If you're going to have it, the recommendation for best results is to have fruit as part of a mini-meal or regular meal, vs. on its own, and to limit it to 1-2 servings a day, where a serving is a whole piece of fresh fruit the size of your fist.  Also, if you're going to have fruit with a meal, don't let fruit push vegetables off your plate.  Have you seen the recommended meal template

I do love almond butter with pink lady apples!  :)  My son is highly allergic to peanuts, so my days of peanutbutter were gone 12 years ago.  LOL  

What brand do you recommend?  I'm having trouble finding almond butter without sugar.  Thanks!

Hi Chris-  I check out the meal template all of the time.  It's very helpful!  All of the downloads are helpful.  I've not eaten fruit on it's own.  I like the idea of having a little fruit in my diet, but I swear I'm not OD'ing on it...I promise!   :D I meant was it okay to have with the mini-meal.  I'm sorry.  That didn't really  translate correctly in my other post.  So, if I have a Comp Stick and small banana on the go that's okay to do?  Sorry if this is redundant.  I'm just working so hard to do this right, and I feel so good ....like I'm not getting sick and bloated and feeling gross after I eat anymore...that I don't want to do something as innocent as eating a banana and screw up my successes.   When I include fruit in my meals, I always eat it after I've eaten my main meal; it's never before.

Thanks!!  

I live in South Africa, so here we get a brand called Nature's Choice which sells products that are sugar and preservative free. Not sure if it is available where you live. Almond butter is allowed during the whole30 but peanut butter is not. Also, almond butter is way tastier anyway :)

I do love almond butter with pink lady apples! :) My son is highly allergic to peanuts, so my days of peanutbutter were gone 12 years ago. LOL

What brand do you recommend? I'm having trouble finding almond butter without sugar. Thanks!

I've had luck with Justin's or the Costco brand. Some of them require stirring, fyi

So, if I have a Comp Stick and small banana on the go that's okay to do?  Sorry if this is redundant.  I'm just working so hard to do this right, and I feel so good ....like I'm not getting sick and bloated and feeling gross after I eat anymore...that I don't want to do something as innocent as eating a banana and screw up my successes.   When I include fruit in my meals, I always eat it after I've eaten my main meal; it's never before.

Yes, the Chomp Stick and banana are fine. Fruit immediately after a main meal is acceptable too.

You're doing great!

I've had luck with Justin's or the Costco brand. Some of them require stirring, fyi

I'm gonna have to look at Justin's again.  We have that here.  In fact, I would normally buy the maple almond butter for my bananas and apples. I know that's not okay for now, but I could've sworn the plain almond butter had sugar.  I'll check again tomorrow.  Thanks so much for the info!!!!!!!!!

I'm gonna have to look at Justin's again. We have that here. In fact, I would normally buy the maple almond butter for my bananas and apples. I know that's not okay for now, but I could've sworn the plain almond butter had sugar. I'll check again tomorrow. Thanks so much for the info!!!!!!!!!

Definitely double check. I get costco's now because it's cheaper for as much as my family tends to eat. I could've sworn the not maple/honey was unsweetened though. Almonds already have a natural sweetness to them.

Archived