Why on earth would I not continue eating this way?

Kaelisan

Day 27!!!! What a journey! It took a good 3 weeks before I started to feel better. I'm still getting there, but know it will continue long term.

I can't imagine not continuing to eat this way. Sure, there are a few things I will test out. I have not really craved anything since I started. I was never a big sweet person, but loved my chips, etc. There really isn't anything I love that I can't find suitable healthy alternatives for. The Whole30 has taught me how to cook and choose nourishing food.

Making plantain chips this morning. Absolutely divine. Much more enjoyable than potato chips, and the best part? No guilt. W30 has changed my relationship with food. It has also changed my relationships with my friends, dogs, and myself!

I met a group of friends for dinner last night at a good Chinese restaurant. I ate before I went, as I could have nothing compliant there. I sat for 2 hours with 12 people eating some of my favourite dishes, with not even a pang of desire or sense of deprivation. I was 'forced' to just sit there and enjoy my friends. I even enjoyed watching them enjoy their food. I realized how much emphasis I always placed on the food and not the company. How sad!

Down the road, sure, I will partake. But it will be different. It will be better. I will be selective and enjoy what I eat.

Well, you creped me out right back! Oh, sweet Sugar, I used the word crepe to sound all fancy, but I now realize my error! Please let me rephrase...

I had 3 whisked eggs fried in a pan without being scrambled...like an omelet without anything in it. Some warmed berries and half a banana and coconut cream on the side. A little compliant vanilla bean powder sprinkled over the berries. I take it the kale chips cooked in coconut oil wasn't in question.

What's the verdict? Must I start over tomorrow? I'm going to anyway, but maybe it will be officially day 1?

• Moderators

Well first, I'm super glad you got my creped out reference!  

That's a much better description and it sounds delicious if a smidgen veg light and fruit heavy... no need to start over.

You're extending to 60?  I'm at Day 16 in a Whole58 so we can be '60' buddies.

Phew! I'm with ya, girl! I've seen improvements, but not enough to start reintroduction. Still have high blood pressure, heart palps, and sleep apnea. Carrying lots of excess weight still. I know I will never be a lightweight. I was 150 pounds at 13, and a competitive figure skater. However, I know I will feel so much better after a Whole60!

I'm always a little light on M1 vegs. I usually chip a huge amount of kale or sauté a huge amount of spinach. Perhaps I could do both.

M2 and M 3 are mostly vegs.

My water intake is bad. My goal for the next 30 is to dramatically up it. I have to sit with clients for 1 hour sessions and having to pee all the time is my nightmare. Getting up in the night is my second nightmare!

• Moderators

Peeing constantly is a short term condition for upping your water intake.... power through, you'll feel much better and your body NEEDS the water!

Template meals and water are the key to the joy!  I can't wait to hear how good you feel at 45 and 60 days!

I will never be a lightweight either... I'm a tall, strong well built curvy woman and I like that... I could stand to lose some excess weight but I have never done this for weightloss... When I started in 2013, I ended up losing 100 pounds in 9 months... and even then, while I did like my new body better, it was never about the weight, it was always about feeling better, feeling energy, feeling content, feeling peaceful, feeling rested etc... 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Sugar!

Yes, I'm still here!

I am really struggling with sleeping through the night and being tired during the day. It might be stress, but I really wish I felt that calm others talk about.

I've been basically compliant except for 2 tablespoons of milk kefir and a small scoop of pure stevia leaf powder in the morning. Kefir is the only thing that helps me with regularity and stevia helps my blood pressure. Wish those things would have resolved as well.

Today I went back to 100% compliant for a few days and see how I feel.

I've improved my water consumption, but still not getting what is recommended. Maybe half at this point, but building it up.

My body is feeling so much better, and I'm wanting to be more active. Going to get back to yoga soon. :)

• Moderators

Hey friend! Sorry I missed this reply!

That stinks about the sleep... Have you tried taking the Natural Calm about an hour before bed? It really does help. Also, many people report that moving their serving of starchy carbs to the last meal of the day can help with sleep and staying asleep.

Sorry to hear that your bloodpressure didn't resolve... sometimes these types of conditions can take longer than 30 days...

The water is truly important darling... have you tried infusing water? Mint leaves or apples and cinammon or other fruits left overnight can be good... it's not my personal fave but i know a lot of people swear by it. Also a splash of pure fruit juice in water is another way to get a light flavoring... I fill up a 1 litre mason jar when I'm at home and put a splash of juice (maybe 3 or 4 tablespoons in the litre) to give it a light flavor... Sometimes finding your favorite water bottle or drinking glass can be the key too... I find I can't drink water out of a drinking glass but out of my S'well bottle I can hardly get enough... try it room temp, freezing cold, infused, ice cubes, no ice... keep trying till you get there because it makes a world of difference!

So glad you're still hanging in with me... :)

I take magnesium about an hour before bed. Not Natural Calm specifically. I fall asleep easily, but then wake between 2 and 4. This sleep pattern has been going on for a long time. I'm also in full-blown menopause. Argh!

I am increasing my exercise, which may help. I've come off a year and a half of injuries. I was just really hoping for that good sleep NSV! I will keep track of how starchy vegs at dinner affect my sleep.

I will add some fruit or juice to my water. I am a water lover, just that amount seems ridiculous to me. I am improving, though!

My other issue now is that I'm just not hungry for dinner. I force myself to eat breakfast because my stomach is grumbling in the morning. But even though I feel a bit hungry at dinner time, I don't have an appetite. Just a couple of bites seems to fill me up. My lunch usually consists of protein and a big salad with lots of oil in the dressing. So, it's not like I overeat at lunch.

• Moderators

Hmm... interesting about not being hungry at dinner time this late in the game...

Are you eating within an hour of waking? I imagine yes if you are waking up hungry... What's the timing difference between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner?

Is oil the only fat in the protein salad?

haha... of course I'm asking all this assuming you want help to resolve it.... if not, just tell me to flake off... :)

I do wake up hungry. Breakfast is around 7:30, lunch 12:30, and dinner between 6 and 7. The problem is when I wake up around 5:30 and can't go back to sleep. Then, I usually do some form of exercise...stationary bike or walk the dogs. I have a preWO snack of coffee, coconut cream, and a hard boiled egg, for example. Then I have breakfast after. I'm also ready to sleep around 9:30. That used to be 10:30. So everything is shifting.

I only have 2 cups of coffee in the morning, but I am a slow caffeine metabolizer.

On top of the oil in the dressing, and I'm generous with it, I may make tuna salad with mayo, throw in 1/2 an avocado, or a handful of olives.

I'd never tell you to flake off!

• Moderators

Hmm... we would normally never tell people to eat less fat but if your lunch has avo and oil and mayo and potentially olives, then you might want to decrease that... or I may have read that wrong. We want you to go about 4-5 hours between meals comfortably...

If you're interested and it's possible, maybe try adjusting your meal timing a bit? Eat within an hour of waking (so say 630), then workout, lunch around noon or slightly before and then dinner about 530? That actually might help your sleep as well because you'll have more hours between eating and going to bed... Hormones are probably at play here and eating within an hour of waking is going to be very beneficial and stopping eating a few hours before bed should also help... hormones are directly related to appetite so changing meal timing could help...

No, no, no! That was an "or" not an "and"! If I add mayo or olives (not and), I would use less oil in the dressing. Maybe I should try less fat though and see if that helps.

I will try to adjust the timing. Thanks! I will just need to be prepped for dinner. I often have something that pushes dinner to later. Work, dog class, errands. So will be better prepared.

Can I jump on to your thread? I saw the title and I'm wondering the same thing. I am at Day 79 and really am not interested in introducing things back into my eating plan. I LOVE the way I'm feeling and I'm not desiring/crazing anything from my previous way of eating. I know it's not meant for life but it goes back to the title of this thread, why wouldn't I keep eating clean and healthy and whole?

Archived