Highly Refined Soybean Oil

bpaitsel

I have been reading on various sites of studies showing that highly refined soybean oil does not contain enough of the protein so it does not have to be listed as an allergen.  This is causing a lot of confusion when trying to eat out while on W30 since it may be an ingredient but not be indicated on the allergen menu.  I would like some guidance from moderators on this as to what Melissa's stance is.  Thank You.

• Moderators

Hey there;

While something may not be listed on an allergen menu, that doesn't mean that you can't ask the question... Whole30's recommendation is to ask for ingredients specifically by name to the people who are going to serve you the food. They'll know if they cook in Soybean oil.

You cant trust an allergen menu because sugar and some preservatives are not allergens but they're also not allowed on the Whole30 so we always need to ask.

Thanks for the quick answer.  I was also wondering on what the thought is as to whether or not highly refined soybean oil is actually considered an allergen in light of the studies done saying that it isn't.  To me this is along the same lines as items like Omission beer where the gluten was removed instead of being made from non-gluten ingredients - I don't trust it.

• Moderators

For Whole30 purposes, skip any soybean oil, even the highly refined stuff. Ditto for peanut oil -- lots of places claim it's refined enough that even people with allergies can have it, but for Whole30 purposes skip it.

Archived