5/2/16 Whole30 Group

tmhampton1

Hi everyone. I see there are a lot of us starting today, so I thought I would just put a group post out there. Please come and tell us your name and location and if this is your first W30 or another one. Let's use this thread for support and to ask each other questions.

I am Theresa. This will be my second W30. I am looking for some NSV such as better sleep, less inflammation and more energy. I did my first W30 March 2016 and it went really well, but I failed to properly reintroduce foods. I just went on a binge to celebrate making it 30 days, that's when I knew I hadn't slayed the Sugar Demon. 

This time around I will make sure to follow the template for every meal, I will only eat one serving of starchy veggies a day and I will be going to they gym for at least cardio 3x a week as well as walking my dogs for an hour a day at least 4 times a week. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm lauren! this is also day 1 of my second w30! I did mine Dec/Jan and just like you Teresa I didn't follow the reintroduction. I was feeling way overconfident that I would just never have interest in eating most of those foods again! but then over time ALL my bad habits came back and my sugar cravings are CRAZY...so time to get back to it and do it 100%...this time follow reintroduction too lol

Good Morning! I am Hannah out of the great state of ID and this is my very first W30.  I have been playing with the idea for a while now, but wanted to absorb as much information I could to ensure I would have the tools needed to make this experience as successful as possible. Friday I decided 5/2 to would be the day & used yesterday to grocery shop and do some meal prep. Excited to get this started!

Hooray!  Someone got a group post together.  I was looking to see which post had the most people and was going to reply to that one.

I've started a whole30 today.  It will be my 4th? one.  I fell off the wagon in January, had some additional life things happen and I need to get back on track.  Any gains I had from my last whole30s are gone.  :( 

But that's why we're doing this right?!  Getting it together.

I confess I haven't prepped nearly as well as you all.  I'm gonna get it together though!

I don't do a ton of prep, but I do a few things to make life easier. Here are my tips/tricks:

• I purchase Organic hard boiled eggs from Costco. They are already boiled and peeled in 4 packs of 6 eggs a piece. They are really easy to pull out and eat before I walk the dogs or go to the gym. 
  • Sat/Sun I will cook 6 chicken breasts and some thighs in the crock pot with Tessemae's Hot sauce. Then I separate them and put them in containers for the week. This allows me to just pull out a protein and heat it up as opposed to cooking something.
  • The Whole 30 bundle from Tessemae's is my best friend. As is their Chesapeake Mayo. I will slather the mayo on canned tuna and get my protein and fat in one bite. (It's Whole30 compliant).
  • Roasting and prepping veggies. I can't eat a lot of starchy veggies during the day (one serving is enough for me) but do prep some hard squash and beets on the weekend. They stay pretty well in the fridge and are easy enough to either eat after a workout with my chicken or to heat up to enjoy with my meal. 
  • I also cook a spaghetti squash in the crock pot over the weekend. I love how light and versatile this veggie is so I pierce the skin with a sharp knife and pop it in the crock pot on high for 4 hours. It come out VERY HOT but amazingly cooked. I just cut it, remove the seeds and run through it with a fork to make it like spaghetti. Then pull it out to add my veggies to my protein and fat.
  • Wholly Guac plain from Costco is compliant and one of my go to fats
  • I must use a digestive enzyme. I had unresolved gall bladder disease for about 10 years and it created some serious damage to my digestive tract. I now have to use the digestive enzyme to ensure all foods get broken down and processed well...and to make sure I keep things moving. (If you know what I mean).

What do the rest of you do to prep for the week or your Whole 30?

Hi.  I'm Maureen.  I was on day 20 of a flawed Whole30--once ate tofu cooked in peanut oil and discovered the natural bacon I have has sugar.  I will start over.  I can report my knees no longer ache after sitting crossed legged!  I thought it was inevitable.  I will be 52 this month.  My clothes fit better.  Prior to the attempt, I experienced intermittent gall bladder pain and vowed to stop damage and avoid surgery.  I'm very happy that I've been cooking healthy meals for my son. Stomach roll over my pants is reduced.

Hi Whole30 Group,

I am Don; this is my first Whole 30 adventure. I'm looking forward to the month of May. Among other things I am going on a bike ride with friends Wednesday - my first ride this year. I'm starting this trip with the idea that it will be a piece of cake (not literally) and on May 31 I will be pretty darn happy about my accomplishment.

Good luck to all the rest of you this month.

I don't do a ton of prep, but I do a few things to make life easier. Here are my tips/tricks:

• I purchase Organic hard boiled eggs from Costco. They are already boiled and peeled in 4 packs of 6 eggs a piece. They are really easy to pull out and eat before I walk the dogs or go to the gym. 
  • Sat/Sun I will cook 6 chicken breasts and some thighs in the crock pot with Tessemae's Hot sauce. Then I separate them and put them in containers for the week. This allows me to just pull out a protein and heat it up as opposed to cooking something.
  • The Whole 30 bundle from Tessemae's is my best friend. As is their Chesapeake Mayo. I will slather the mayo on canned tuna and get my protein and fat in one bite. (It's Whole30 compliant).
  • Roasting and prepping veggies. I can't eat a lot of starchy veggies during the day (one serving is enough for me) but do prep some hard squash and beets on the weekend. They stay pretty well in the fridge and are easy enough to either eat after a workout with my chicken or to heat up to enjoy with my meal. 
  • I also cook a spaghetti squash in the crock pot over the weekend. I love how light and versatile this veggie is so I pierce the skin with a sharp knife and pop it in the crock pot on high for 4 hours. It come out VERY HOT but amazingly cooked. I just cut it, remove the seeds and run through it with a fork to make it like spaghetti. Then pull it out to add my veggies to my protein and fat.
  • I must use a digestive enzyme. I had unresolved gall bladder disease for about 10 years and it created some serious damage to my digestive tract. I now have to use the digestive enzyme to ensure all foods get broken down and processed well...and to make sure I keep things moving. (If you know what I mean).

thanks for this! great tips! and thx for naming some specific brands!

I'm a big fan of spiralized Zucchini. Spaghetti squash doesn't do it for me. I make so much that I bought a spiralizer because my julienne peeler wasn't efficient enough.

I also typically have a sweet potato in the morning. I cheat and put it in my little crock pot overnight so it's ready in the morning.

If eggs are your main source of protein in a meal, the serving should be as many eggs that you can hold in one hand. For me, this is 3.

I buy my tuna, bacon (Kirkland low sodium), almond butter and whole raw chickens at Costco. You can butcher the chickens yourself.

I get a lot of my veggies from Aldi. That's where the sweet potatoes come from.

hi there...jeff and nikki (39) and our 19yo daughter and college student all started today!   we are long overdue for cleaning our act up.  this is our first go around but i've been following this for about a year now.    tips and recommendations are appreciated!  i'm worried we might be eating too much, but not sure---

2 poached eggs, 3 slices pedersons bacon and watermelon

banana and justins almond butter for snack

ground beef patty and fresh salad/avocado with whole30 dressing

whole30 chili and 1/2 sweet potato for dinner

is this about right?  suggestions?  thanks! 

• Moderators

hi there...jeff and nikki (39) and our 19yo daughter and college student all started today!   we are long overdue for cleaning our act up.  this is our first go around but i've been following this for about a year now.    tips and recommendations are appreciated!  i'm worried we might be eating too much, but not sure---

2 poached eggs, 3 slices pedersons bacon and watermelon

banana and justins almond butter for snack

ground beef patty and fresh salad/avocado with whole30 dressing

whole30 chili and 1/2 sweet potato for dinner

is this about right?  suggestions?  thanks! 

You're not eating enough and your meal compositions do not match the meal template (linked below) unfortunately...

We want you to eat 3 template meals a day with 4-5 hours between so no snacking and especially not on fruit and nuts/nutbutter which can do bad things to your blood sugar.

Take a look at the meal template and make your meals match tomorrow.  Fruit should not push vegetables off your plate so that watermelon needs to be veggies.

When you eat leafy greens as your only veg, remember they chew down to nothing so you really need a bucket ful.

When you're making your meals match the template, each of you should use your own palm as a guide reference.

Eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as each of you can hold in one hand without dropping.

Bacon is a fat on whole30 so eggs were your protein for breakie.

Please be sure you're adding fat to all meals (your dinner has none).

You're definitely not eating too much... this is not a deprivation or calorie restriction meal plan so really focus on making your meals match the template.

I'm starting my first whole30 today also.  I posted an introduction yesterday, but have no idea where it went.  How do you find posts and topics after you post them - I am finding the organization of this forum somewhat confusing.  So briefly again - I have been retired for 15 years from a career in biology, am an insulin dependent diabetic and have a lot of arthritis.  My new doctor [who looks to be about 12] strongly recommended I try a whole30 to reduce inflammation and insulin need.  I'm going to try, but unfortunately, am feeling somewhat negative after just 1 day.

I am on day 8 of a terrible cold.  I was going to start my whole 30 a week ago and fortunately waited a week in the hopes the cold would be gone, but no such luck.  Nothing tastes good and nothing sounds good, but I did my best today.  I am a somewhat fussy eater - I don't like strong tastes [coffee tastes like poison to me] or sour tastes, so that limits somewhat what I am willing to eat.  I bought compliant Tessamae ranch dressing since I love salads and planned to eat a lot of them, but it tastes horrible to me.  I hope it is the cold - I will try it again in a few days.  I don't eat vingarette type dresses at all.  Any suggestions?  I think I need a pep talk!

I started my first ever Whole30 this morning, still getting used to the plan. I shopped yesterday. I don't really meal plan in advance, I'm home all day, so I should have no excuses. I found I wasn't hungry today and didn't eat much. I hope tomorrow goes better. Seeing the post above, I viewed the template for the first time and I wasn't doing it right either. Too much fruit, bummer. I bought a lot of fruit. I need to plan on more veggies. I also didn't realize you weren't supposed to snack at all in between meals. I'm doing this to kill my sugar dragon, for life hopefully. I'm such a sugar addict, I'd rather eat sweets for every meal over any other food. I will need to learn to like protein and meats, I'm not a fan, but know this is the way to feeling better. I'd also like to lose 15lb and keep it off. Will be back for tips and support. I'm Kathy, 50 years old, recently single after 35 years with the same man and looking for change. 

My first day of my first W30 also. I love sugar, diet soda, baked goods, and wine (so, so much wine). I really need to hit the reset button on my eating habits. I have gained 15lbs since starting a new stressful job last August and I'm hoping this will help get me back to a better weight, but more importantly a better relationship with food.

Today went like this:

Breakfast: 2 HB eggs, chopped veggies (from trader joes) with Mrs. Dash for seasoning steamed in the microwave at work. Black coffee (I normally drink a Coke Zero in the morning) which surprisingly I didn't mind.

Lunch: Salad with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, shredded carrots and dressed with a balsamic vinaigrette I made last night and a chicken breast I cooked with lemon juice, garlic, basil and olive oil (also made last night). Sparkling mineral water which was a good substitute for my usual diet soda.

Snack: I realize snacks are supposed to be limited but when I was driving home from work I realized I was STARVING and it was going to be a while before I would be able to sit down and eat. So I ate some raspberries I had brought for breakfast but didn't eat because I got busy.

Dinner: chile lime chicken patty (trader joes), slathered with guacamole (also TJs), thick sliced tomatoes and lettuce. I finished off the rest of the tomato and dipped the slices in more guacamole. Probably should have cooked some more veggies but didn't.

Clearly trader joes and I have a love affair which is lucky since I can see him from my bedroom window. I am 38, mom to 2 girls (10 and 13), wife of one, mother to dog.

Hello to everyone! Love to read your stories

My first day of my first W30 also. I love sugar, diet soda, baked goods, and wine (so, so much wine). I really need to hit the reset button on my eating habits. I have gained 15lbs since starting a new stressful job last August and I'm hoping this will help get me back to a better weight, but more importantly a better relationship with food.

Today went like this:

Breakfast: 2 HB eggs, chopped veggies (from trader joes) with Mrs. Dash for seasoning steamed in the microwave at work. Black coffee (I normally drink a Coke Zero in the morning) which surprisingly I didn't mind.

Lunch: Salad with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, shredded carrots and dressed with a balsamic vinaigrette I made last night and a chicken breast I cooked with lemon juice, garlic, basil and olive oil (also made last night). Sparkling mineral water which was a good substitute for my usual diet soda.

Snack: I realize snacks are supposed to be limited but when I was driving home from work I realized I was STARVING and it was going to be a while before I would be able to sit down and eat. So I ate some raspberries I had brought for breakfast but didn't eat because I got busy.

Dinner: chile lime chicken patty (trader joes), slathered with guacamole (also TJs), thick sliced tomatoes and lettuce. I finished off the rest of the tomato and dipped the slices in more guacamole. Probably should have cooked some more veggies but didn't.

Clearly trader joes and I have a love affair which is lucky since I can see him from my bedroom window. I am 38, mom to 2 girls (10 and 13), wife of one, mother to dog.

Hello to everyone! Love to read your stories

Welcome Kelly. I'll suggest you look up at the link on SugarCube's post to the meal template as you aren't eating enough food. 

A serving of eggs is the amount you can fit in your hand, I'm a woman with petite hands and can still easily fit 4. Salads are also not a great idea as they chew down to nothing, and the fat in salad dressing is negligible because most stays on the bottom of the bowl. I would suggest you make enough dinner to eat as a left over and include more fat in your diet.  

Too much fruit, bummer. I bought a lot of fruit. I need to plan on more veggies. I also didn't realize you weren't supposed to snack at all in between meals. I'm doing this to kill my sugar dragon, for life hopefully. I'm such a sugar addict, I'd rather eat sweets for every meal over any other food. I will need to learn to like protein and meats, I'm not a fan, but know this is the way to feeling better. I'd also like to lose 15lb and keep it off. Will be back for tips and support. I'm Kathy, 50 years old, recently single after 35 years with the same man and looking for change. 

I am a person who can't eat fruit at all during W30, unless it's a small banana with some almond butter during a meal and that's limited to once or twice a week. I have a horrible sugar dragon and fruit keeps it alive and raging.

I'm Tiffanie and this is my second time with Whole30.  I completed my first in October of 2014.  I work a lot of hours, have three very active kids, and compete in triathlons, so Whole30 helps keep me organized and on top of the planning.  I spent Sunday prepping everything from grilled vegetables to chicken breasts and turkey patties.  The toughest part for me is the timing of the meals, particularly with my training.  Some of my workouts are several hours long, so I will be checking out more of the posts for endurance athletes to help.

Hi everyone! My name is Kelly and I am from upstate NY. I am on Day 2 of my second whole30. My first was about a year ago and I have gone completely off the rails so it's time for me to get back on track. I'm looking forward to partnering with everyone on this!

Welcome Tiffanie and Kelly. Glad to have you in the group.

For those of you who are new, there is a great resource on the forum to track your meals. It's toward the very bottom of the page. It's really good if you have any questions, the moderators can go in and see what your meals look like and give you feedback. Or feel free to ask questions on this page. 

Day 1 went well for me, but hubby is struggling with the template and says I'm feeding him too much. 

• Moderators

Here's the link that Tmhampton was referencing... 

http://forum.whole30.com/forum/24-your-whole30-log/

tmhampton1 - your hubby thinks it's too much?  What are you feeding him?  Are you using his palm and thumb as a guide? Is he eating a lot of fruit or nuts? Raw veg?  All things that contribute to feeling 'stuffed' when you're not actually.

Hi Everyone!!

My name is Jenny & I started my very first Whole30 on May 1st!! My 12yr old daughter also wanted to do it with me & she started on May 2nd!! It's been fun prepping and cooking with her!! I also like being just a day ahead, so I can warn her of what she can expect as well!!

Today I'm really not feeling well!! I have that god awful headache they talked about & I feel nauseous & have diarrhea to boot!! UGH!! I do hope after I drink some water this morning, that I will feel better!! :(

Anyhow, I'm still positive that this will be good for the two of us to do together..... My daughter really needs this!!

:wub: Happy to be here & encourage where I can!! I'm also a fitness instructor... So if anyone has fitness goals, I could help you out!!  

Hi there! I started today - so May 3. I had a get together pre-planned last night so I needed to wait an extra day :) I'm eating my soft boiled eggs, strawberries and drinking black coffee this morning. I did grocery shop over the weekend but didn't have time to prep after our company left last night.

Lunch will be a fresh veggie and chicken salad from my company's cafe and dinner will be a left over grilled burger with avocado. I hope to do some better prepping tonight, but this should get me started.

Oh, I'm Diane - from Oregon and I'm a mom to an 18-month-old little girl. I'm really hoping the Whole30 will reset my relationship with food and the stress of being a first time (working) mom. I've also become way to dependent on wine at night to wind down and have some "me" time -- so no booze for 30 days is a big part of the challenge for me.

Anyways, nice to meet you all and I look forward to sharing in motivating each other for the next month!

tmhampton1 - your hubby thinks it's too much?  What are you feeding him?  Are you using his palm and thumb as a guide? Is he eating a lot of fruit or nuts? Raw veg?  All things that contribute to feeling 'stuffed' when you're not actually.

He isn't snacking at work and no nuts or fruit at this point. I think that he's just being a baby, honestly. He is very used to snacking and is getting over eating protein bars and other treats at night, so he ate until he was full but didn't think about not being able to eat for the rest of the night. He is 6' 4" and has a very large hand...can easily hold 6 eggs.

We are working through it though. He is horrible about not eating at work all day and then coming home and gorging so I'm sure we will just have to find his sweet spot on how much he should be eating 3 times a day. 

Archived