Making & Storing homemade Oil &Vinegar dressing

Hi all,

My first whole 30 went so well I am starting back after a tough week of travel for work.

I like to make my own O&V dressing (compliant of course) and unfortunately cannot figure out what to use and where to buy a container that allows me to use it multiple times. Im looking for something that can be shaken vigorously, stored out or in the fridge and used multi days on my daily lunch salad.

I use a lot of a product called Lock & Lock for all my veggies, salad mix and other items but the one they had for liquids didn't hold a good seal where the dressing came out of, so....

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Much love Don.

Maybe try a hobby store like hobby lobby or Michaels? Or the container store? I have a couple of pop top, rubber sealed bottles I got at hobby lobby around Christmas time to make homemade vanilla for gifts and they were pretty leak proof and you could definitely shake stuff in them as needed.

I appreciate the replies with suggestions, I should have been more clear that Im looking for your experience, not opinion. Also, a mason jar is fine for storing, not pouring. Trying to eliminate the mess part.

thanks ya'll.

• Moderators

Oh, okay... well yes, mason jars suck for pouring... I use them anyway and just make sure I have a napkin or dishcloth to wipe up the drips... which you have to do, otherwise you risk rust (hello Mason Jar, come up with a galvanized lid please!) Personally, if I don't want to cart the mason jar around, I have saved all the small lidded jars from anchovies and those work great, altho maybe a bit small for a vinegarette... I use them for Caesar salad (aforementioned anchovies) so the creamier dressings generally need less to get the same amount of fat.

If you do want to keep using Mason jars, search your city or online for Cuppow accessories... they make lots of stuff that make mason jars do lots of different functions... I"m not sure any of these solutions will be sufficient for you to feel comfortable throwing a jar of oil and vinegar into your lunch bag with no mess tho...

• Moderators

Oh, okay... well yes, mason jars suck for pouring... I use them anyway and just make sure I have a napkin or dishcloth to wipe up the drips... which you have to do, otherwise you risk rust (hello Mason Jar, come up with a galvanized lid please!) Personally, if I don't want to cart the mason jar around, I have saved all the small lidded jars from anchovies and those work great, altho maybe a bit small for a vinegarette... I use them for Caesar salad (aforementioned anchovies) so the creamier dressings generally need less to get the same amount of fat.

If you do want to keep using Mason jars, search your city or online for Cuppow accessories... they make lots of stuff that make mason jars do lots of different functions... I"m not sure any of these solutions will be sufficient for you to feel comfortable throwing a jar of oil and vinegar into your lunch bag with no mess tho...

Sorry to hijack the thread, but -- there are rust-resistant rings for mason jars. It's not usually the lid insert that rusts, it's usually the ring.

For the OP, there are some past threads discussing this -- maybe try here or here or google Whole30 forum salad dressing container for more.

thanks Sugar :) for a messy bachelor I sure don't like oil dripping down the side of the jar lol. While I have your attention, what Balsamic do you use? thanks!

Sorry to hijack the thread, but -- there are rust-resistant rings for mason jars. It's not usually the lid insert that rusts, it's usually the ring.

For the OP, there are some past threads discussing this -- maybe try here or here or google Whole30 forum salad dressing container for more.

thanks Shannon, hack away ;-) I guess I should have been ever more clear... not looking for a portable lil thing looking for something to make, store and use as a homemade O/V. nothing on those links is what IU am looking for, but appreciate the effort.

• Moderators

Shannon! What a score! Thanks!

Don, I don't use a ton of balsamic but your goal is to try and find one that does not have added sulphites (or sulfites). That's usually a more expensive one... all vinegar is going to have sulphites but you need to look for one that doesn't have it listed in the ingredients. It might say on the bottle somewhere 'contains sulphites' but as long as it's not in the ingredient list, you're golden!

Also, you can't possibly be a 'messy' bachelor...the messy ones wouldn't care about the drips so I think you must be more of the tidy sort! :)

Shannon! What a score! Thanks!

Don, I don't use a ton of balsamic but your goal is to try and find one that does not have added sulphites (or sulfites). That's usually a more expensive one... all vinegar is going to have sulphites but you need to look for one that doesn't have it listed in the ingredients. It might say on the bottle somewhere 'contains sulphites' but as long as it's not in the ingredient list, you're golden!

thanks Sugar, I was being slightly lazy with a purpose, was hoping for which one YOU use :)

LOL.. oh... well I don't... but I do use a ton of other things and Seattle and Vancouver are pretty close regionally so if you have anything else you want tips on, I might have that ;)

thanks Melissa, that is your name correct? what DO you use on your salads? Tessemae's?

• Moderators

Darcy...

I use home made Caeser salad dressing, home made thousand island, sometimes a walnut dressing I made up, often I make a chicken salad but I cut the mayo with pickle juice to make it a bit runnier and then I use the chicken salad for dressing... I like creamier, heartier salad dressings myself... O/V has never really appealed to me however I did make a dill/lemon vinegarette once that was really tasty on a shaved fennel and Granny Smith apple salad...

I've also made a creamy red wine vinegar and basil vinegarette that I stole off my grandma and made compliant...

Okay, well I have stored my vinaigrette based dressings in an empty jam jar for the last 15 years. If it drips I wipe it.

If the jar lid goes manky I throw it away and start over with a new empty jar.

That's my experience.

Hi all,

My first whole 30 went so well I am starting back after a tough week of travel for work.

I like to make my own O&V dressing (compliant of course) and unfortunately cannot figure out what to use and where to buy a container that allows me to use it multiple times. Im looking for something that can be shaken vigorously, stored out or in the fridge and used multi days on my daily lunch salad.

I use a lot of a product called Lock & Lock for all my veggies, salad mix and other items but the one they had for liquids didn't hold a good seal where the dressing came out of, so....

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Much love Don.

Hi Don.  I'm new, but found these a while back and love them:  http://amzn.to/1QXpVPJ

we've got several 1 litre Olive Oil bottles with flip top/swing top lids, with rubber seals.

they pour well, hold 1 litre, can be shaken.  is that what you're after?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Farchioni+Il+Casolare+&safe=off&hl=en&tbm=isch&oq=Farchioni+Il+Casolare+&gs_l=img.3..0i30l2j0i5i30j0i24l4.1999.1999.0.2530.1.1.0.0.0.0.244.244.2-1.1.0....0...1ac.1.34.img..0.1.244.vaDPnsvUPVc'>Farchioni Il Casolare

we didn't buy the oil, but got the bottles free from someone else who did.

I've got pear cider in one, two in the fridge with lemon water in and one spare at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

In the grocery store, if you look in the dressing aisle you will find GOOD SEASONS dressing packets. I have a Glass curet that this brand sells to mix dressings (theirs of course). It is found on same shelf as packets in a box. You should see if your grocery stores have it. It works very well.

Archived