Fasting blood sugar - I'm type 2 diabetic

Daddio243

• 4 weeks later...

That's awesome!  My meter average before I started whole30 was 220, now after almost a month, its 177.  I've also decreased my insulin injections significantly.  Usually skipping the noon one and reducing the evening ones from 98 novalog to 60 and 78 lantus to 60.  This is the best thing I've ever done for my Type 2 diabetes.

I have worked with diabetics for about 35 years now...don't think I have ever known someone to have a fasting that high!  The drop is amazing, and congratulations are in order!  But...in good conscience,  I have to ask....are you on medications? 177 is still WAY too high. As  a type 2, you may be able to come off medications eventually, but I hope you can avoid the permanent damage of high blood sugars while the Whole 30 program is working its magic.

Good luck and keep doing what you are doing!

I have worked with diabetics for about 35 years now...don't think I have ever known someone to have a fasting that high!  The drop is amazing, and congratulations are in order!  But...in good conscience,  I have to ask....are you on medications? 177 is still WAY too high. As  a type 2, you may be able to come off medications eventually, but I hope you can avoid the permanent damage of high blood sugars while the Whole 30 program is working its magic.

Good luck and keep doing what you are doing!

yes, I'm on medications.  Metformin 2x/day, Novolog 3x/day, Lantus 2x/day

After an 8 month battle with feet and leg ulcers and loads of prednisone, my sugars got out of control.  Into the 300-400 and even above for a while.  There was lots of stress in my life at that time also.  It wasn't until I started eating whole food that things got back in somewhat control.  Now that I'm eating this way, I've had problems adjusting my injections to avoid lows.  Also, the 220 was the average on my meter, not fasting.  fasting varied greatly during the out of control time.

My spreadsheet has an average morning reading of 196 - way too high.  However I really tend to have high morning levels and that's one reason I'm having trouble balancing the night injections to avoid a low which I do get if I give myself my regular dose.

I see my doc on June 1st and hopefully he'll be able to advise me.  Its been almost a year since I've seen him because when I was going through the feet and leg ulcers, and my MIL's health issues and getting her into a nursing home, I had to cancel several appointments.

Wow! you've been through a lot. Prednisone and diabetes are never a good mix, either. No wonder your sugars were running high...and no wonder you were having a hard time getting those ulcers heals.  (THOSE are scarey!)  Thank goodness you are on the mend. Good luck at your upcoming visit.

Well, adjusted my nightime insulin doses from 98 and 82 to 60 for both and this morning my fasting blood sugar was 92.  Amazing! 

I'm wondering if I should leave it at 60 units or reduce down to 55 tonight?

Go slowly.  92 is a very respectable fasting blood glucose.  I would drop the dose if I were consistently pulling fastings below 90, but for now, IMHO, I would  stick with the 60  for a week or so, unless you start having very low blood sugars. After a week or so, make a decision, based on the average fasting value

Congratulations on the control!!!

Was down to a 54 fasting this morning. (I took 60 units of both lantus and Novalog last night).    I ate breakfast and then took only my lantus (long term insulin).  Glad I see my doc tomorrow. 

I'm going easy on my insulins tonight (maybe 40 units depending on my dinner meal) since I have fasting labs in the morning at 8:45am.  I don't need to drop too low before then..

Archived