Beginner Triathlete Tries Riding Her Own Bike

Chellie

Hi! I'm Chellie, and I am finishing up my second Whole30 (had a day 10 fail back in January). I've discovered that the forum is really great for my accountability, so this is my new home!  I'm short on time right now, so I'll do more "bio" later.  

I am currently training for a half-marathon at the end of the month and two triathlons (one mini-sprint, one sprint distance) this summer. 

My topics here will center on food choices, carting kids to sports practices, training successes and failures, and other general life stuff.  Chime in! Join the fun! I'm feeling the tiger blood and wearing a tight shirt that didn't fit 30 days ago, so help me keep it going!

:D

Reintro, day 1--dairy.  

Hmm. I had cream in my coffee this morning, the real-deal-full-fat-whipping-cream-no-additives.  Tasted good, but I'm happy with my coconut milk. Breakfast was my usual frittata.  This week it's full of ramps from my woods, spinach, zucchini, and onions.  At lunch I ate a yogurt with my chicken drumsticks and coconut rice. I spooned in about a third of the little fruit from the side and that was plenty sweet. No problems.

Ran 3.1 with a friend after work--slow pace today, but the sun was shining, so yay! Forgot to bring pre and post WO food. Ugh. Then I got an iced coffee with cream from Tim Hortons (they use light cream). About half-way through, the stomach pain began. Uh oh.

Got home--bathroom :ph34r: (TMI...I know)--still pain! Hopefully it will subside during dear daughter's soccer game tonight.  I was planning on some cheese tonight with dinner, but instead I'm opting for some chicken, kale, sweet potato soup I had in the freezer bc I don't think my stomach can handle any more. I did NOT expect this from my beloved dairy!  :(

Tomorrow is swimming...hopefully I can fit a bike session in, too. I will NOT forget my pre and post WO food! Plan, plan, plan!

Cheers!

Hey fellow triathlete! It might not be the dairy component of the creamer. Commercial creamers often have additives like gums and carrageenan that can be stomach upsetting. All the worse sometimes if it's the light version of the creamer, that just means they add more of that stuff to make it taste like the real thing. It's just something to consider. Too much of those gums does bad things for me.

Lucie, I have a feeling you are right about the additives. It took a few hours for my tummy to settle. I dumped the end of it...ick. I'll probably try cheese tonight, even though I'm supposed to be strict W30 today.

Headache today, but I had a stressful evening, so it could be related to that. 

Frittata again for breakfast with a packet of almond butter, 1 cup of coffee with coconut milk and second cup black, 10 shrimp sautéed in coconut oil, 1/2 sweet potato, steamed spinach for lunch, dinner will be pork chops, tomato and cucumber salad (thinking I'll throw some mozzarella in there), 1/2 sweet potato (or a plantain...not sure yet). Drinking sparkling water throughout the day.

PreWO 2 hard boiled eggs

WO: bike to the pool then swim (hubby is going to bring me home) :)

Post WO dinner (I know, I know)

I have had some breakouts of acne on my body. Not pretty, but I can deal with that for the occasional dairy splurge.  

Days 2-3 went well going back to W30 eating. I had 1/2 piece of frittata instead of HB eggs before my bike on Thursday. 8.3 hilly miles to the pool and a 20 minute lap swim. Came home to grilled pork chops, 1/2 sweet potato, and some sautéed onions.

Yesterday I had 2 eggs, homemade hash brown and sautéed kale for breakfast, salad with chicken, egg, olives, carrots, onion (I was out for lunch), and a lovely steak dinner with onions and mushrooms and swiss chard. Some plantain chips and guacamole as a snack.

TODAY!! It's a beautiful day for a trail run! Hubsters and I are racing. My distance is 13k. Day 4 reintro--non-gluten grains. Oatmeal for breakfast  :P , lunch will be something at the post-race party, and dinner out with friends--sushi :ph34r:  at the local hibachi place that recently opened and I haven't gotten to try.

Hey Chellie, fellow triathlete as well  :). What options do you use for long distance fuel/food? It seems I find myself loading up on the larabars, gu salt/endurance tabs, bananas, and few random small things. I'm looking to reintroduce gu gels at a later time during long workouts only to see how they sit with me.

Hi there, rtylertamu!

I've been using some fruit-only leathers (like fruit roll-ups without sugar) during long runs, banana before, plenty of starchy veg throughout the week.  I am in love with plantains! I eat quite a bit of sweet potato, too. Larabars seem so bulky to carry... is that a problem?  The only thing i don't like about the fruit leather things is how chewy they are. It takes awhile to get it down.  During my W30 I tried squeezie baby food as pre and post. It was ok, but the packaging would not be good to stash on the body while on the go.

I've also been thinking of going back to Gu when my training sessions get really long. Right now I'm at 11-12 miles for my weekend long runs, so I like to have something to get me through, but my long bike sessions are only at an hour, so nothing needed during those. Last week I had a trail race and had my usual bowl of oatmeal and coffee beforehand.  It really sits well for me on race day.

Let me know how different things work for you, please!  What distances of races are in your plans this season? 

My hibachi celebration evening last weekend was not good! I got so gassy...and we were at a show! So uncomfortable!  Not sure if it was the cooking oil, the rice, or the soy.  I'm going to have to clean up my act again and reentro each item separately to figure it out.  This week I ate a lot of non-W30 type foods. I think the not NEEDING to cook up and plan ahead is my big roadblock.  I felt so free all week from the strict rules, but I have veered too far! I did have a delicious cheeseburger after my daughter's away soccer game on Wednesday. I'm only human, after all!  HOWEVER, I'm definitely going to try to go nice and clean for the next 4 days and see if my bloating and acne clear up. 

I had a great swimming session last night that ending with my husband asking if I wanted to race him for 50m. He's 6'1" and actually has very good technique, so I was not feeling very confident (at 5'4" and skill level "not going to drown...barely"). I smoked him! I was so stinking elated! Wooooooo! He took it very well, but I'm guessing it will be awhile before he challenges me again!  :P

I skipped my normal short Friday run in order to get some errands done and prep for a work trip to Albany on Sunday/Monday. I marked "gluten free" for my lunch; should be interesting. Tomorrow morning I am attending (my first ever) spinning class for a friend's fundraiser.  Hope my quads aren't screaming too badly afterwards!

Spinning is awesome! Especially since today is very rainy and cold, an outdoor ride would've been miserable. Post WO plantain chips in salsa and a half a grilled pork chop. 

Breakfast: 2 eggs, andouille sausage, ramps, spinach fry-up. 2 cups of coffee.

Happy Saturday!

Spinning is awesome! Especially since today is very rainy and cold, an outdoor ride would've been miserable. Post WO plantain chips in salsa and a half a grilled pork chop. 

Breakfast: 2 eggs, andouille sausage, ramps, spinach fry-up. 2 cups of coffee.

Happy Saturday!

• 2 weeks later...

How's it going, Chellie? I haven't done any tri's for several years, due to some chronic pain and a death in the family. Now I'm about to wrap up my 1st W30 (although it may turn into a W60 since I'm seeing some major benefits) and I'm starting to increase my activity level again. Experimenting with pre- & post-workout fuels. It's sounds like you're still relying on quick carbs for workout fuel and I'm curious about that, since what I've read of W30 recommends against that. Of course, they also recommend against these really long workouts like you end up doing with tri's. Even without tri's, I was doing long, hard bike rides with a co-worker (who's training for a Century ride) and I want to start doing those again. I really struggled getting enough food on those days though (back when I was tracking calories) and struggled with recovery. But I don't want to lose the experience of the long rides either, because they are fun and challenging and rewarding for various reasons. As I'm sure you know. :) So just curious to hear more of your experience with the longer workouts and fueling during/after. 

Thanks!

Archived