Starting May 9

Chef Mike

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting my next Whole 30 on 9 May, 2016 if anybody would like to jump in. This will be my 4th one since Sept. 2015. Looking forward to hearing from you and good luck to all.

ChefMike

This is actually my 5th one starting next week, I kinda of ran my 3rd and 4th together in Jan and Feb.

@tmhampton1 if I can help with any advise on recipes I will try. I find the problem with most home cooks is that they follow the recipes to slavishly, when you need to improvise. I keep things simple with roasted and sautéed veg, roasted meats and chopped salads with cabbages and fruit type veggies.  I make a lot of spicy curries and tangy sauces to go with things and eat a good amount of animal fats, olive oils of all strengths and bacon, bacon, bacon. Keep it simple and everything takes care of its self. I have recently invested in an InstantPot and found many good recipe ideas for Whole30 at NomNomPaleo website. Well worth a look.

It looks like a lot of people who start this have either not read the materials, or think that this is just another calorie restriction diet that has failed them in the past. You have to eat on this plan. Follow the rules, but EAT! And fat is not your enemy, and the more you get at the beginning the better you will adjust and the faster the transformation will occur.

Just my thoughts.

ChefMike

I am rereading the materials and revamping my pantry this weekend and looking forward to Monday start day. I've tried before and was unsuccessful - I think mostly because I was trying to do it my way, less structured. This time I want to follow the program to a "T".

I do not like my kitchen and often do anything I can to avoid it. I'm hoping maybe if I dive into this completely, the kitchen will become more fun for me.

My fiancée and I are starting on May 9th as well. I'm educating myself and preparing us as much as possible leading up to our start.

While I'm anticipating some challenges... we support each other well and we'll be reaching into the forums if we need it. We are definitely in need of a reset and can't wait to feel better!

~Healthy eating~

I am rereading the materials and revamping my pantry this weekend and looking forward to Monday start day. I've tried before and was unsuccessful - I think mostly because I was trying to do it my way, less structured. This time I want to follow the program to a "T".

I do not like my kitchen and often do anything I can to avoid it. I'm hoping maybe if I dive into this completely, the kitchen will become more fun for me.

Best of luck this time around. I f there is anything I can help with please let me know. There are also lots of resources out there for the kitchen challenged, so don't be afraid to ask.

My fiancée and I are starting on May 9th as well. I'm educating myself and preparing us as much as possible leading up to our start.

While I'm anticipating some challenges... we support each other well and we'll be reaching into the forums if we need it. We are definitely in need of a reset and can't wait to feel better!

~Healthy eating~

Help is here if you need it. Best of luck to you both.

I will be restarting May 9th. I live in Crazy Town and need a bubble of calm.

I'm an older (63) mom of a 15 yr old, work full time with odd hours and tying to have a social life. All of that is motivating me to want to be healthier.

I started 6 days ago on my first Whole 30.  So far, so good.  Today was a challenge because of a hectic family affair that started off with waffles, bacon, mimosas, etc.  I came prepared to whip up an awesome frittata with some organic ranch eggs.  Unfortunately, I was only able to whip up 3 fried eggs before I headed out to help with the parade.  At the fair I was able to goggle a giant turkey leg that held me over till I finally made that frittata for dinner.

I am still not waking up hungry.  Any ideas? 

I love this plan, but wish I could afford a personal chef.

Going strong.

Joining in with you fine folks. I've off roaded a bit more lately and can feel and see the difference in my rosacea as compared to when I make my best food choices. So a jump start with some like minded folks seems just the thing.

Chef Mike, simple is absolutely key for me as well. Also, I recently became the very happy owner of an Instant Pot and my goal is to use it at least twice a week. Yesterday I cooked a lightly seasoned pork roast and will use it for my lunch protein and maybe even for breakfast. And then I'll bag and freeze a few servings for a grab and go when I don't have time to cook.

Best of luck to all here!

• Moderators

I started 6 days ago on my first Whole 30.  So far, so good.  Today was a challenge because of a hectic family affair that started off with waffles, bacon, mimosas, etc.  I came prepared to whip up an awesome frittata with some organic ranch eggs.  Unfortunately, I was only able to whip up 3 fried eggs before I headed out to help with the parade.  At the fair I was able to goggle a giant turkey leg that held me over till I finally made that frittata for dinner.

Going strong.

In order to start waking up hungry, you kind of have to put the cart before the horse... you eat within an hour of waking whether you're hungry or not and then stop eating a few hours before bedtime... this drives the hormones in your body to start to balance... I know it's hard to eat right when you wake up but make a template meal, eat evenly from it... really power through but if you feel like you can't eat another bite without serious repercussions, wrap it up and take it with you and eat from it again as soon as you feel able... don't wait to be hungry, eat from it as soon as you think your body won't reject it... this will take about 3-4 days and you should start to feel hungry in the morning...

Going strong.

@rlynch6003, you may not start to feel hungry in the morning until the second or third week, this is due to hormone adjustment which can take some time, but if you consistently eat the template meal three (3) times a day, not after 8 PM and no snacking, you will see quicker results, I'd say. Everyone is different though. 

Good job working around your family day challenge, those are always the hard ones. I'm lucky in that I just volunteer to do the cooking and I'm guaranteed to have a few Wh30 complaint dishes. Keep up the great job.  

rlynch6003

Starting tomorrow so I did food prep: roasted vegs, surveyed my fridge, freezer and cupboards for compliant foods....thought I'd have a day before snack....but I really couldn't find any. Past W30's have taught me much, including not to have ready at hand not-so-good for me foods. Starting this w30 at such a different place than a year ago. Still, I remember so well the challenges when I first started this journey. Keeping it simple. Not looking for work- arounds of past favorites. Protein, vegs and fats. The template. 30 days of simple foods- that's my goal. Thinking more of what I want to have and what my body needs to have rather than the "can't haves".

Simplifying is why I'm here. Why are you here?

B) Good evening!   I played around with a start date sometime this week, and this thread made me commit to starting tomorrow May 9.  I'm 53 with two full-time jobs and have previously made it through 28 days of an unofficial Whole30 days which ended last Thanksgiving day.  I'm looking forward to rediscovering the benefits I saw developing at that time with energy and joint issues, for their own sake, and to make my return to running after a year's hiatus more successful.     

And me! I started today. Omelette for breakfast with black coffee, feeling positive. This will be my second.

I have some beef mince (ground beef) in the fridge for dinner, anyone got some amazing recipes for that? Thanks!

I'm starting today with you fine folks! This is my second attempt at a W30, planning on having it be my first successfully completed one! 

A couple things that have derailed me in the past: morning coffee and the constant need to weigh myself every day. It's been about a month since I've quit coffee entirely (just Earl Grey in the morning now, nothing added) and it's been about three months since I've weighed myself. I am hopeful that not having those two handicaps starting out will make me more successful this time around. 

I'm looking forward to increased energy and clarity in the coming weeks. 

Good luck to everyone today!

Hi! I had already planned on starting today and I found this thread! I'm a mom, foster mom, and for the past month or so my husband and I have had 4 kids 3 and under. Life has been super crazy lately and we have just been in survival mode. Unfortunately survival mode for us has been super unhealthy. I'm excited to start this program and get back on track and allocate more time to planning healthy meals for my family.

And me! I started today. Omelette for breakfast with black coffee, feeling positive. This will be my second.

I have some beef mince (ground beef) in the fridge for dinner, anyone got some amazing recipes for that? Thanks!

Welcome, 

You need a large rutabaga(swede), 1 pound ground beef, 1 bag (12-16oz) broccoli florrets, salt and fat (ghee, tallow, lard).

In a 4 quart pan, bring 3 quarts of water an 2 tsp of salt to a boil. In a skillet or saute pan, take your beef and brown it like your going to make tacos, DO NOT Drain the fat. Dice up a medium onion and add to the meat and cook until translucent and a bit browned. Season with plenty of salt (I like fine Himalayan Pink) fresh ground black pepper and garlic powder to taste. I usually add a cup of beef stock at this point a little at a time and scrap the pan to release the good stuff. When the meat and onions are cooked and there is just enough liquid to moisten it, put it into a small casserole and spread evenly around the bottom. I then add to this a bag of frozen organic broccoli florrets from Trader Joe's with a little salt as a layer over the meat. Peel and cut up your rutabaga into 1 inch pieces and place in the boiling water, Cook this until it is tender enough to push a fork through. Drain and mash with 2 or 3 Tablespoons of desired fat and salt and pepper as smooth as you like. Spread the mash over the broccoli layer and bake this in a 350 oven for 30 min or until the top is slightly browned, 5 -6 servings. Enjoy

Hi! I had already planned on starting today and I found this thread! I'm a mom, foster mom, and for the past month or so my husband and I have had 4 kids 3 and under. Life has been super crazy lately and we have just been in survival mode. Unfortunately survival mode for us has been super unhealthy. I'm excited to start this program and get back on track and allocate more time to planning healthy meals for my family.

Welcome and best of luck.

I'm starting today on my 2nd round.  I had a very successful first round in January 2015 and multiple restarts with no success. 1st time had a wonderful support group online-I'm so excited to find this group this time around!

Day 1 is off to a great start. Since I have only reintroed some hard cheese from time to time and a very small amount of corn in the form of organic heirloom masa tortillas, I'm really 90% there. My weigh in yesterday says I have lost an additional 9 pounds since the end of my last Wh30 in March and 2 more inches off the waist. Lots to go though, so here I am. 

Breakfast is usually coffee and 2-3 Tbsp of full fat organic coconut milk and a scramble made with a meat (Ham , sausage or bacon) onion, peppers, and broccoli or kale and mushrooms cooked in beef tallow and ghee. I make enough for 3-4 days and just add my eggs in every morning. You can always do them the night before if your mornings are not as serene as mine. Sometimes I will grate in half a sweet potato before I add my eggs. And I like to drizzle with some spicy Sunshine sauce or homemade red masala sauce.

Lunch will be a potato free beef stew, and chopped salad of tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, onion and avocado with lemon juice, garlic and EVOO,

Dinner is slow cooked Korean skirt steak over cauliflower rice that is cooked in palm oil with scallions. Roasted broccoli and Haricot Verts green beans drizzeled with EVOO and shitaki salt.

Eating well is all in the mind. Simple is usually the best.

Read, know, act. It's all here...http://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/42057515329/the-round-up-30-days-of-whole30-recipes

http://meljoulwan.com

ChefMike

Archived