Starting May 9

Chef Mike

I got a little carried away at a dinner party on Friday and boooooy do I see and feel the error of my ways.

So I awoke this morning with a mission to fund compliant bacon do I could make the roasted brussel sprout recipe from NomNom Paleo (http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1670459416/roasted-brussels-sprouts-and-bacon). I honestly was ready to spend the morning reading bacon packages but low and behold, Sprouts had one clearly labeled "Whole30 Approved". I was skeptical yet hopeful as I reached to read it and Yes, it was true! So excited and happy that this program is widespread enough that it has helpful labels!

Off to roast!

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Saturday I introduced some non-gluten grains and that went well. I tried to control my wine intake over the weekend...but I couldn't stop at one glass! I ended up having 2 glasses of wine each day, Friday, Saturday, and even Sunday! Now I won't have any wine all week. I just thoroughly enjoy my red wine! lol So now I'm back to eating strictly Whole 30 for a couple more days until I reintroduce another food...maybe dairy this time. I've noticed I am really tired today...maybe from too much wine!

Well I am happy to hear that we are all in the same boat this weekend.  My sister came over on Saturday and we sat in the backyard and had a couple of beers.  It was delicious but I so felt like crap the next day, mostly dehydrated on Sunday.  I really didn't make good decisions yesterday, I don't think I went crazy but I definitely could have done better with my food choices.  Back on the wagon today.

I began my re-entry on Saturday with a glass of white wine. Continued on Sunday with two more! (I prefer a nice red, but I know it causes trouble for me.... so went with a nice white.) No trouble, just a little tired, but that could be due to the pollen. It's a huge pollen year!

Tomorrow I think I'll try some non-gluten grains. Yumm.

I'm going to try non-gluten grains today, too. Oatmeal is one thing I have really missed. However, I'll have to have eggs, too, because I know oatmeal won't keep me satisfied all morning. Dang you, Whole 30! You've spoiled me!

Hi! Its been a week and I have been compliant as can be! Haha! BUT it was sorta rough, as I had a booth at a fair (Young Living oils) and was gone all weekend, and now planning and packing for a mini vacation. This is where it is getting tougher! Hubby and I are planning to be "mostly" compliant. Red wine on Thursday! (Is white compliant as well? No one ever mentions white or rose?) and probs add a teeny tiny amount of dairy here and there. (ice creammmmmmmmm )

I just cant stop until the itching does... at least!! It has greatly diminished, so I know sticking with it is a good choice. I also have no desire for tummy problems to return either. And I did lose 1 more pound, so there's that! I am thankful for the Whole30!! I feel it has saved me many doctor visits and miserable days. 

I ordered a Paleo cookbook though, and plan to make some breads and desserts and fun foods within a (generally) compliant sphere. 

How are you all?

Good job JoniScott! Well I indulged in the red wine over the weekend, and then had a couple more glasses last night when I met a friend for dinner! Jeez...I can't get away from it! I have reintroduced non-gluten grains so last night I ordered a gluten-free pizza with no cheese. Non-gluten grains is the first item I have introduced so far and I haven't noticed any reaction to it. So now back to remaining compliant and I think I will reintroduce dairy on Sunday. My husband told me what he wants for dinner and I figured it was a good time to bring dairy back in...that way I can work a little dairy into all my meals that day. Then I figure I can do legumes sometime next week. At first I was thinking to just avoid legumes like I did last time, but I figure it is best to do the reintroduction just to see if I have an adverse reaction. And I really miss having green peas with dinner! Next weekend I will be going to visit my daughter and I figure I plan to limit my intake on the items that I've already introduced. I will save the grain reintroduction for when I get back.

I would also like to experiment with a few desserts. I did check out a cookbook from the library that I need to take another look at. So far my fruit has been satisfying my sweet tooth.

So far so good on the reintroductions. I've had a little sugar, and I know that the Sugar Dragon is not dead. He's asleep with one eye open. I have got to be really, really careful, although I do want to have dessert now and then.

We are having dinner at someone's house tonight, so I don't know what will be served. Unless it's pasta-based, I should be OK. I made macaroons for dessert. Aside from the sugar, and the fact that they're cookies, they're OK.

I'm kind of nervous about introducing gluten. Corn and oats were fine, though.

I got both of the Well Fed cookbooks from the library yesterday and am looking forward to trying some of those recipes. For the summer I like the idea of less-complicated meal plans. Just meat on the grill and a big plate of vegetables. Last night, for something different, I sauteed yellow pepper, green onion, asparagus, and carrots in coconut oil. I had the leftovers this morning in my eggs.

I'm looking forward to a big trip to Whole Foods tomorrow and doing meal prep for the week over the weekend.

I totally agree with you about the sugar dragon Leigh Anne! Although I've been trying to reintroduce slowly, a couple of things I prepared did have some added sugar, like the bbq sauce I used when making bbq ribs this last weekend. But they were OH SO GOOD! I introduced dairy on Sunday and I did notice a little stomach ache that evening. Otherwise all has been going well. I also have not introduced gluten or grains yet. I have been eating non-gluten grains off and on last week, but now I decided I am back to Whole 30 eating for this week. My husband was laughing at me last night as I was cooking away until 9:30pm. I just wanted to make sure I had enough food for the rest of the week! I'll be heading to my daughter's this weekend and she has been pretty good about preparing compliant meals for me. But I might save my grain reintroduction for that...I think she has ice cream in her freezer too!

I also miss dessert...I love a good rhubarb crisp and it's not like you can make it all year long! So I think in another week I am going to have to break down and make some of that. I can always just keep a little for myself and give the rest away.

Two weeks in and aside from one day adding a minor amount of dairy... I am still pretty compliant. I am buying some "regular" grocery food that may add a bit of sugar (not enough to qualify as a significant source) But the itching is almost gone!!! The dairy made me very gassy. Ick. That will be a rarely added item. Next up: Legumes. Black bean dip this weekend! I also bought a paleo cookbook. I really lost my bad cravings during the 30 days  and see no reason to get them back.

We are traveling next week and it will be difficult to avoid gluten, so I'm testing small amounts this week to see how it goes. I'm also giving dairy another small try. One thing I've learned--if I have a small dessert after a meal it's OK. Eating sugar on an empty stomach is bad!

I just added exercise in this week. Last summer I built up to 30 minutes on my rowing machine, but lost it somewhere along the way. I've decided to alternate walking and rowing. I'm going to do a 30-day plan again, since it worked so well with food. Nothing crazy, but something to get me moving again.

Day 46 of 60 and all goes a pace. Be careful of those desserts folks, they can get you in a lot of trouble. But by all means precede them with 2 or 3 glasses of wine so you won't feel too bad about it. I kid.

A slippery slope awaits. Learn as you will.

• 2 weeks later...

I was away last week, "riding my own bike" out in the world. There was a little panic at first, and fears that I would revert to my old ways of eating. Since I was not cooking and could only choose from what was prepared, there were meals that had very few Whole30 options. I knew this going in, and had finished reintroductions, so just planned to do my best and try not to lose ground.

It went pretty well. I was able to avoid most dairy, but I had some wheat, and my joints are a little achy. It's not terrible, but I am looking forward to getting back to better eating. The Well Fed cookbooks are what I'm using this week. They're full of good stuff!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived