Starting May 9

Chef Mike

I started today as well and happened to stumble across this thread!

I've never done a Whole30 before - never even heard of it until a few weeks ago when my friend started on it. Spent all day yesterday prepping for the week. 

Meal #1 - Egg bake (eggs, zucchini, mushrooms, broccoli & cauliflower) and some olives

Meal #2 - steak, roasted veggies and a closed handful of cashews

Meal #3 - baked chicken, sauteed veggies and 1/2 an avocado

I've got a meal plan for the week and am excited to do this!

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am joining in with you all!  I started today and this is my first Whole 30. I am 54 and have Rheumatoid arthritis, had a heart attack 2 days after Christmas and need back surgery.  The level of inflammation in my body stays off the charts so I hope this helps.  I am going to tag along if you kind folks don't mind.

I am no longer able to work and love to cook.  I did the South Beach diet 12 yrs ago and lost 42 lbs so I know I can do this... I just need to approach this as a lifestyle change and not a diet.  Good Luck to everyone and I will take any advice that is out there to give!

Hello all! This is my first Whole30 and I'm excited to get more in touch with food, my esteem, and my kitchen gadgets! I prepped this past weekend, and made a trip to my parents with gifts of quinoa and whole wheat flour, you know "healthy grains". I made a veggie frittata last night for breakfast this morning and immediately knew I was getting into something new when I used more eggs in one dish than I'd used in the past year. I love eggs but I'd avoided them since they were "bad for you". Funny that I did not avoid the donuts or muffins. Anywho, I look forward to the forum friends and advice along the way!!

I'm excited to say that today May 9th 2016 marks the start of my 2nd whole30! I just finished my first whole30 on April 30th and I'm ready to jump back in again. I've fallen in love with this lifestyle and I don't think I'm gonna stop eating this way any time soon. on my first whole30 I lost 10lbs without any exercise and hardly any activities, that just goes to show the power of this lifestyle! my skin also cleared up which was a blessing considering I had been struggling with it for months! I notice a big difference in my body shape and how my clothes fit loser. I also notice a difference in my energy levels, I go to sleep faster, I wake up easier and I'm not constantly tired during the day anymore. Even though some people think I'm crazy for eating this way, I don't care. I'm happy like this, I feel better like this and I don't have to constantly worry whether or not my food is good for me, because I know it's good for me.

Happy whole30ing everyone!

I'm starting today as well!  I have made it 1/2 way through 2 whole30's.  I usually don't finish because I miss my morning gym supplements.  I'm changing my thinking this time around.  I look forward to completing a full whole 30- Third time is a charm  :D Good luck everyone!

Hello! I've started today, as well. I have tried Whole30 before, but bombed out at 6 days because of my failure to plan....my sugar dragon got the best of me. I was also trying to overcomplicate things. This time around I've planned ahead, so I'm hoping that will help matters! Looking forward to supporting everyone and having somewhere to come for support this time around! May we all find success!

I too started today. I tried to do a round in February but I only made it 12 days. When you been eating crappy for more then half of your life, I find it difficult to break this food habit. It's completely mental and I agree with the book when it says, eating better is not hard! I have a binge eating issue (drinking alcohol included) which is what led me to the whole30 in the first place. On top of high blood pressure and the mental fog I have been dealing with for years, it's time to take care of myself. I tend to get amped up and ready to go and then like what happened before, I lose motivation after a week or two and stop. It's quite pathetic. Good luck everyone! 

And me! I started today. Omelette for breakfast with black coffee, feeling positive. This will be my second.

I have some beef mince (ground beef) in the fridge for dinner, anyone got some amazing recipes for that? Thanks!

I had some ground lamb that I browned up, tossed in some Asian stir fry frozen vegs (cooked first), added some curry paste (powder works good too), a dollop of coconut milk, some salt and pepper and now I've got a nice batch of curried lamb. I might spoon some over a baked potato.

Today is the first day of my 3rd round of Whole30. I have had a great deal of stress in my personal life lately and have used food to help me get through it. I still have the stress but I have decided to do this anyway and just take it one day at a time. Eating bad hasn't helped so I'll try the Whole30 way. I have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain. Good luck to everyone! :D

I also started May 9. Made bone broth and chili yesterday, and chicken-sweet potato hash this morning. Fantastic!

Cutting sugar will be the hardest thing for me. In the past I've tried to cut down, without much success. Heard about Whole 30 a couple of weeks ago, read the books, and jumped in. Making a big change, and changing our menu, too, will be the reset I need.

In keeping with my goal of keeping it simple, supper was a steak, baked potato and asparagus. Ghee is one of the few special foods I buy as I learned from past W30 that dairy revs up my rosacea - love it on my vegs! Tonight I eat the curry I made while supper cooked last night.

Welcome, 

You need a large rutabaga(swede), 1 pound ground beef, 1 bag (12-16oz) broccoli florrets, salt and fat (ghee, tallow, lard).

In a 4 quart pan, bring 3 quarts of water an 2 tsp of salt to a boil. In a skillet or saute pan, take your beef and brown it like your going to make tacos, DO NOT Drain the fat. Dice up a medium onion and add to the meat and cook until translucent and a bit browned. Season with plenty of salt (I like fine Himalayan Pink) fresh ground black pepper and garlic powder to taste. I usually add a cup of beef stock at this point a little at a time and scrap the pan to release the good stuff. When the meat and onions are cooked and there is just enough liquid to moisten it, put it into a small casserole and spread evenly around the bottom. I then add to this a bag of frozen organic broccoli florrets from Trader Joe's with a little salt as a layer over the meat. Peel and cut up your rutabaga into 1 inch pieces and place in the boiling water, Cook this until it is tender enough to push a fork through. Drain and mash with 2 or 3 Tablespoons of desired fat and salt and pepper as smooth as you like. Spread the mash over the broccoli layer and bake this in a 350 oven for 30 min or until the top is slightly browned, 5 -6 servings. Enjoy

Thank you! I'll give that a go :)

I also started my Whole 30 on May 9th, so I hope you don't mind if I join in on this thread. This is my second round as I finished my first round this last February. I tried to continue eating Whole 30ish afterwards, but I figured I wanted to give it one more go before summer and all of the food opportunities that come with that! I have felt so good since my first one and now I'm looking forward to feeling even better! I'm also looking forward to trying some new recipes from Chef Mike!

I'm going to join too!  I started on May 9th, a little late to the forum.  I'm feeling pretty good today though, feel like I am not as "foggy" but a little body achy.  Looking forward to hearing from the people who have done this before as this is my first time. 

Yesterday ended up being rougher than I was expecting but I managed not to slip! I learned that eating cold veggies can be depressing so today I plan on actually heating them up :-)

Today I've had an egg bake with salsa and 1/2 an avocado

Lunch will be leftover chicken & veggies plus the other avocado half 

Dinner I have some crock pot meatballs in tomato sauce cooking right now! Going to get some veggies with that and probably a closed handful of nuts.

Good luck to everyone on day 2!

Yesterday ended up being rougher than I was expecting but I managed not to slip! I learned that eating cold veggies can be depressing so today I plan on actually heating them up :-)

Dinner I have some crock pot meatballs in tomato sauce cooking right now! Going to get some veggies with that and probably a closed handful of nuts.

Remember FoxyMalD, a slip is when you trip and your face falls into a cake or pizza. You still can't have any. You are in total and absolute control of what you put into your body. So stick it out, day 2, and drink some water too!  :D

Hi Ya'll!!

I started yesterday! It was a busy, full day with lots of extra prep. I made a frittata for breakfast and lamb chops for dinner that were astonishingly good!!! Hubby is on board with me, so I THINK we will make it. I already plan to go well beyond 30 days with much of this new way of eating. I love actually preparing food... but oh my! The dishes and time it takes! 

My digestive system and skin needs this new way of eating!!

No brain fog today. I wasn't even hungry and put off eating until 11:00am. Haha. 

Hubby had a head ache and brain fog. He ate much more junk than me before starting though! 

Looking forward to my pork carnitas and slaw tonight! 

:-D

That is interesting what you say about the "cold veggies". I remember when I did my first round someone commented about not being satisfied after having a "cold" lunch. I thought it was odd, but noticed the same thing with myself. So even if I am having a salad, I try to make sure I have something that I can heat up too. Whether it be a sweet potato, or a chicken breast, etc. I also like to have some part of my meal warmed up.

I'm excited to say that today May 9th 2016 marks the start of my 2nd whole30! I just finished my first whole30 on April 30th and I'm ready to jump back in again. I've fallen in love with this lifestyle and I don't think I'm gonna stop eating this way any time soon. on my first whole30 I lost 10lbs without any exercise and hardly any activities, that just goes to show the power of this lifestyle! my skin also cleared up which was a blessing considering I had been struggling with it for months! I notice a big difference in my body shape and how my clothes fit loser. I also notice a difference in my energy levels, I go to sleep faster, I wake up easier and I'm not constantly tired during the day anymore. Even though some people think I'm crazy for eating this way, I don't care. I'm happy like this, I feel better like this and I don't have to constantly worry whether or not my food is good for me, because I know it's good for me.

Happy whole30ing everyone!

I agree with you Jessica! I finished my first Whole 30 back in February, but pretty much kept eating that way for the months that followed. Now I'm back in at 100%!

Hi guys, 

I wanted to tell everybody about a great website that I have been using for recipe ideas on my last 3 Wh30s. NomNomPaleo  http://www.nomnompaleo.com/  has been great and adds an ethnic flair that keeps the cooking and eating very interesting yet simple. I have been able to tweak a lot of these ideas into other dishes and I love the use of the slow cooker/pressure cooker to save time and energy in the kitchen. The is a wealth of Whole 30 recipes as well as standard paleo dishes that in most cases could be converted to a Whole 30 version with little effort.

I always try to keep things as simple as possible in the kitchen, since time is also money and in a lot of cases energy. The beauty of the this eating plan is the way component cooking plays so well with it. Batching separately the proteins, vegetables, sauces(condiments) and fats to be blended in any combination one chooses,  is actually very liberating. It can open up a large range of ideas. No longer being stuck with the traditional menu fall backs of steamed rice and mashed potatoes or (god forbid) oven french fries, ewwwww. 

Explore the territory and keep it interesting, it's so much more fun.

Chef Mike

Archived