Day 14 and not sure about finishing---anxiety, too many fruits and nuts/gaining weight

Hello! I am happy to have made it to day 14, however my clothes are getting tighter and tighter, which is making me feel quite anxious and disappointed.  I have a long history of disordered eating and eat a very clean diet in general and being on Whole 30 seems to have triggered a lot of anxiety around food. I know I am eating too much on Whole 30, and way too many fruits and nuts, and tons of snacking. Which I know is not technically doing it "correctly". The only additional things I eat normally are some dairy and some stevia products and gum. I feel like taking those away has made me really slip back into overeating and I am feeling quite depressed. The idea of being overly restricted is tough for me given my history. And I was especially depressed when I couldn't zip a dress that normally fits and that I was planning on wearing to a formal event in 2 days! I am wondering if anyone has experienced this and has any thoughts? My instinct would be to discontinue as it seems like a lot to handle. I am also doing the program with my husband, who has zero issues with food, so that has also been difficult for me. I am also under quite a bit of stress. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas on this. :) 

• Moderators

Some people with a history of eating disorders do really well on Whole30, and others find the rules too restricting, causing them to return to disordered eating. The whole point of Whole30 is to get healthier both physically and mentally, and if it isn't helping you to do that, you have to decide what will help you get healthier. Have a look at this article for a few tips on doing this with an eating disorder.

If you do decide to continue onward, I can tell you that nuts and seeds are notorious for causing bloating and other digestive issues, and if you are eating a lot of them, you may need to replace those with some other fat source -- avocado, olives, mayo or other sauces, for example.

Other than that, if you would like to continue onward, if you wanted to let us see a couple of days' worth of food, including approximate portion sizes based on the meal template, we could see if it looks like you're really overeating, or possibly eating some things that maybe just don't agree with you.

Whatever you decide with regard to Whole30, I do hope you find something that works for you, that doesn't cause you stress and anxiety.

Thanks so much for your helpful reply and for sending that link. Yes, I think I need to reassess what I'm eating and if this is the right time for me to be putting a lot of restrictions on foods. A lot to work out! I'm going to mull it over. Thanks very much again, I really appreciate the support! :)

Archived