How to handle tasting while cooking?

NoMoreCrunchyCravings

I haven't seen this asked anywhere, and nothing came of a search, but it's a real issue that I've been wondering about. I love to cook. I always have. And unless I'm baking, I rarely use a recipe. So, in order to tell how things are going while I'm preparing a dish, I will frequently taste it to know what it needs added, or to tell when it's done. This often happens at different stages in the meal, and with all of the different elements of the meal.

Now, in preparation for w30 I've been cooking A LOT. That also means that I've been tasting a lot.

Does this create a problem?

I'm not hungry when I'm doing it. It seems like it's just a taste here and there, but I know it all adds up, and I'd hate to think that I'm doing myself a disservice, but I just can't see preparing a meal without knowing that it tastes good. But I also know that the goal is to have 4-6 hours between meals, and tasting what I'm cooking is interrupting that pattern.

If this were any other eating plan, it'd be discouraged. But it's not a diet where we're limiting calories/carbs/etc. But I'm still stumped.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

We have a lot of chefs & cooks who do Whole30 and they have to taste as part of their job - our advice to them is to taste & spit.

There are plenty of taste buds on the tongue, soft palette, and cheeks so there is no real need to swallow...

We have a lot of chefs & cooks who do Whole30 and they have to taste as part of their job - our advice to them is to taste & spit.

yes... but the OP is talking about tasting food when cooking whole30 compliant dishes. I say taste like a normal person. Tasting and spitting seems a little extreme in this context.

• Moderators

I agree with Miss Mary... if the OP is just tasting (a dab on a spoon) then taste like a normal person... The only way I'd say not to is if your 'taste' is a large amount... like you're eating a mini meal of everything you cook every time you cook it in addition to the meal... then that wouldn't be awesome but if you're just tasting for spices and seasonings, proceed as usual as long as what you're cooking is compliant.

Thank you-- I think that's what I'll do then-- taste like a normal person. :rolleyes:

When I am cooking something for my husband that isn't w30, I haven't even been tasting it (too bad-- he should have done w30 with me, then we'd all know that his meals would be taste-tested-to-perfection!). But when I'm cooking w30 foods, I do want to enjoy what I'm eating and know that it's prepared just how I like it, and as alot of the ingredients are quite expensive, tasting and spitting seems extreme and like a big waste of money. But I would do it if it was contraindicated-- I'm trying to do this to change my life and improve my health and if spitting was the only way, I'd do it!

I saw a couple of posts about bakers and professional chefs tasting and spitting, but I can't imagine spitting out all of my precious (and expensive) coconut products and amazing herbs and spices and high quality proteins!

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

Archived