Apple Cider?

• Moderators

Yes you can just juice an apple. But be sure you're checking the ingredients list, not the nutrition info -- apples have naturally occurring sugars so there will be grams of sugar in the nutrition info no matter what, but what is not allowed on whole30 is added sugar or sweetener listed in the ingredients list.

• Moderators

It wouldn't be allowed for drinking but it IS allowed for cooking... probably just a miscommunication of your intentions with it or a mistake... definitely allowed as long as you can find one without sugar.

Yeah, that's where I'm having a hard time! Does anyone know if a certain brand (preferably one available on Canada) that doesn't have sugar? I have only ever found Apple cider with sugar in it. I just want to make the bbq sauce in the whole 30 book and it calls for half a cup of apple cider. I will probably just end up throwing a couple apples in my vitamix to make some apple juice for it or something lol

• Moderators

So do the ones you've found have sugar in the ingredient list or sugar in the nutritional panel? If it's not in the ingredients and is only showing in the panel, then that's fine because apples have sugar in them... if it's in the ingredients then ya, not going to work... I live in Canada and altho I've never looked for this before, I am going shopping this afternoon so I'll take a buzz through the store and see what I can find... are you west coast or east coast (or the middle)?

• Moderators

I live about 6 hours from abbotsford, but I was JUST there two weeks ago! Lol

Oh bummer!!

The small city thing might be difficult then... I would grind up an apple in a blender if I was you... the apple cider is basically to sweeten the sauce so you could also soak and grind up dates and that would probably work just fine too... or straight apple juice... some of the commercial apple juices are compliant... I've also seen the cloudy apple cider in Superstore but I've never looked at the ingredients...

I was just reading on that link you posted and it said that Apple cider is pure unfiltered Apple juice, so I'm just going to blend an entire Apple in my vitamix! Sounds like that's all Apple cider is! No sense in spending extra money if I don't have to!

• Moderators

Ya, that's what I was thinking too... if their process is just to grind it up and take the juice out then you can do the same... I"d take the core out and peel it so you don't get any bitter flavor but otherwise, your plan sounds great!

cider in the UK is alcoholic, in the US and Canada it is Apple Cider, and is interchangeable with 'Apple Juice' - which is not fermented, so not alcoholic.

alcohol is not allowed in W30, even if cooking with it.  cider vinegar is allowed as the alcohol has been converted to acids.

(but check the ingredients list, as most alcoholic drinks contain sulphites, and so some cider vinegar may also contain sulphites)

in your case just blitz an apple in a machine, and use that, if you can't find compliant apple juice.

(but check the ingredients list, as most alcoholic drinks contain sulphites, and so some cider vinegar may also contain sulphites).

If it's added (as seen on the ingredient list) it's a no go. If it's naturally occurring it'll say something on the label like "may contain" or "contains" but it is still compliant

Archived