Does anyone else struggle with natural calm?

Hannlib

I've been really keen to try a magnesium supplement, because I am a dreadful insomniac and also struggle on and off with constipation. So I while back I bought some unflavoured natural calm. Took it just before bed, as recommended. Started with just half a tsp which made no difference, so over the next few days I gradually upped my dose. Still insomniac, in fact really struggling to get to sleep even more than usual. Still constipated. But really tired and groggy in the day z wondered if I was coming down with something. Then wondered if it might be the natural calm, so I stopped it. Felt back to usual.

Then last week I read about chocolate cravings being a sign of magnesium deficiency. This is a massive issue for me, both on and off my whole 30s. Reminded me about my natural calm so I decided to try again.

Just half a tsp before bed, 2 nights running. The second night I slept very restlessly, then the next morning was groggy, sluggish, almost hungover. Just like before. Needless to say I haven't taken it again.

Has anyone else experienced this? I was hoping to drop off quickly and have super lovely sleep and straightforward bowel movements, but it seems not to work like that for me at all. I was barely functional till lunchtime after the second night I took it.

I would consider stopping caffeine. Might try an Epsom salt bath. More excercise. Google sleep hygiene it's a deal. They recommend no electronics a few hours before sleep. A bit if meditation. A hot bath. Try and keep a sleep schedule like a baby. All might help. For constipation... Hot water with lemon. Also you can get glycerine suppositories at drugstore that in a pinch help stimulate. Good luck

• Moderators

The only problem I've ever seen reported regarding Natural Calm is developing loose stools or diarrhea. Never making sleep more difficult like you are wondering about. 

I took Natural Calm for years, but it made me have loose stools. Now I take magnesium aspartate in a capsule and it helps with sleep and does not affect my bowels. I had a doctor give me an injection of magnesium once upon a time. I slept great for a week. It was wonderful. 

The first time I took Natural Calm, I could not fall asleep.  It's possible there was no correlation, but it seemed like that was the thing.  I cut the does to a smidgen and continued and found that it does make me sleepy about 40 minutes after I take it, but I started having more problems getting back to sleep if I woke up.  However, I continued taking it and I really like it on some deep intangible level.  I also can take a full teaspoon now.  What about taking it in the morning and seeing how that goes before trying something new?

I wondered if I seem to have a delayed reaction to it. I don't sleep well but I'm generally pretty chirpy on it, whereas with the natural calm I'm a groggy mess. I could try taking it in the morning instead. It was very expensive and I had rather hoped it would be wonderful!

I've been caffeine free for about 8 years.

I have now got some Epsom salts and on the nights I exercise (3/7) I have a bath with those and drop off quicker.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Hannib,

When I take natural calm and don't get enough sleep or deep sleep I wake up groggy and feeling worse than I would normally without sleep. I am not sure why this is the case.

what I have found is that I will wear blue light blocking glasses from about 6PM until bed when I am home. About an hour before going to bed I brew some sleepy time tea and then put a teaspoon of natural calm into the tea and sip it. I have found that when I am taking natural calm I naturally drink more water throughout the day. 

I have also found that I tend to have better results (not feeling groggy) when I take the NC and put it into a bottle of water and drinking throughout the day in addition to everything else I drink. 

Good luck! 

Hi Hannib,

When I take natural calm and don't get enough sleep or deep sleep I wake up groggy and feeling worse than I would normally without sleep. I am not sure why this is the case.

what I have found is that I will wear blue light blocking glasses from about 6PM until bed when I am home. About an hour before going to bed I brew some sleepy time tea and then put a teaspoon of natural calm into the tea and sip it. I have found that when I am taking natural calm I naturally drink more water throughout the day.

I have also found that I tend to have better results (not feeling groggy) when I take the NC and put it into a bottle of water and drinking throughout the day in addition to everything else I drink.

Good luck!

Thank you for this! My sleep is always broken by my 3 year old.

I might try some nc in my daytime water.

Archived