Day 38 stomach issues

Acridley

I have decided to continue this whole 30 journey. This past week I started experiencing consistent lower stomach pain, bloating, and a little constipation. I have never had stomachaches or issues in my entire life! I'm very active, I drink a ton of water & I haven't reintroduced any new foods. Ideas? Please & thank you!

• Moderators

It's impossible for us to even guess at what the problem is as we don't know what you're eating, in what quantities, if you have pre-existing medical conditions, if you exercise etc...

Provide more details including what you eat for each meal (portion sizes, specific veggies, protein and fat) fluid intake (a ton of water isn't very telling) and your meal timing, exercise, sleep, medical conditions etc...

I finished my first Whole 30 on April 26 and have continued to eat almost completely within the guidelines since then, although I have chosen to reintroduce occasional alcohol. First I had a little Scotch in the evening on Friday, April 29 with no issues except not feeling quite so vibrant when I woke up the next morning. Then I had one beer after work on Monday, May 2, and other than being a little bit gassy later that night, I felt no other repercussions. I continued to eat on-plan for the rest of the week until Friday night, when I again had one beer to celebrate my birthday. About 45 minutes after finishing it, I very suddenly became very crampy and this has abated somewhat but has more-or-less continued for the last five days. I have also felt a bit constipated, but not completely. Detailing everything I have eaten this week would be impossible, but I have been sticking to the guidelines with the possible exception of not getting quite enough fat. My husband (who is doing this with me) does not eat beef or pork, so our meat portions are all very lean. We eat avocados with our eggs pretty much every morning (along with veggies and squash or potatoes and a little bit of fruit), and we usually include more avocado and nuts and Whole 30 ranch on salads at lunch. We don't get much fat in the evening meal other than cooking fats and things like clarified butter added to sweet potato mash. Given my age (43), I realize the persistent cramps could be symptomatic of perimenopause and/or increased PMS (which I did also experience during my last cycle since beginning the Whole 30), but I would welcome any other thoughts. Thanks!

I have been on the whole30 for about 37 days.  Today I decided to have some half and half in my coffee, at a coffee shop.  About 4 hours later, my intestines started rumbling.  This proceeded into intense cramps for about 30 minutes and then constipation, proceeded by diarrhea.  Everything has passed through me and I am left feeling a bit weak.  Could this be a sign of lactose intolerance.  I have always considered myself to have a "weak" stomach.  However, since following the whole30, I have not had any intestinal issues.  I am also wondering, could half and half bother me, and not other milk products?

Was it real half and half? Or a creamer cup? Those have several other ingredients you may have been sensitive to. If it was the milk itself that caused the problem, fermented or aged dairy products that are naturally lower in lactose might still work for you.

It was real half and half....before the whole30, i would have moments of upset stomach (same as today) that I attributed to the coffee.  However, for the last 30+ days, I have not had one episode.  I have had other bouts of stomach problems, I think due to ice cream or rich foods, but it was never consistent.  I didn't have problems every time i had coffee or ice cream etc....hit and miss

Beer has gluten... have you re-introduced grains yet? My guess is that the beer wasn't just the alcohol, it's the gluten in beer that would give you the problem...

I am happy to report that my crampiness has gotten much better; for a few days I still noticed it particularly when I would use the bathroom (even just peeing), but that has finally eased up, too. I don't want to get off topic in Acridley's thread, but I do want to follow up on SugarcubeOD's response. I decided on a Slow Roll reintroduction because I'm not really missing off-plan foods on any kind of regular basis, and I have to admit it seems counter-intuitive to me to reintroduce lots of different off-plan foods from a specific category all in one day. How would you know if the peanut butter at breakfast was the problem if you also had hummus at lunch and black beans at dinner? You might be fine with a little goat cheese on your salad but completely sidelined by a glass of milk with your steak. 

So I haven't specifically reintroduced grains or any one category of foods, but have instead allowed small off-plan dabbles as desired. There were a few breadcrumbs on the delicious halibut I had at a fancy dinner out last week, and I didn't scrape them off. This past weekend I had two rice crackers each with a small piece of cheese during pre-dinner socializing with friends, but other than that I skipped the hummus and mostly just ate the raw veggies. Then I had some breaded fried fish with a little bit of regular tartar sauce and a tiny bit of sour cream on my baked potato at dinner with no apparent consequences (along with more veggies, of course). I have been avoiding beer because I'm just as happy sipping a little Scotch when I do want to drink, which seems like a better choice.

I have also added a magnesium supplement at my wellness practitioner's suggestion (one with calcium & Vitamin D, too). From what I've read magnesium deficiency can definitely contribute to symptoms like Acridley and I have experienced, so it seems worth a try.

I will shift my further thoughts and questions on reintroduction to a more appropriate thread, but I guess the long and short of it from my perspective is that sometimes it just takes time for your body to adjust to the changes you've made, and you may not always get a clear-cut answer to why you feel the way do on any given day. Additional thoughts welcome :)

I am on day 37 and I reintroduced quinoa and thought it was ok but also had a oat/date muffin and since then I have been experiencing extreme bloat, gas and pain. When I eat anything.  I have returned to strict whole30 but everything I eat makes my stomach blow up and be very painful.  it this really just a reaction to the oat flour & quinoa? I don't know if I should see my doctor or just eat bone broth for a few days.

• Moderators

It's probably a reaction to the grains... if you're very worried, then definitely go see a doctor as no one here is a medical professional but that's a very standard reaction to grains so I would say it should ease up in a day or two.

thank you.  that helps. it has been 4 days of this so far. but it does make sense. I was told to try kombucha to ease the symptoms some. Im hoping that helps. Since I have felt better than I have in years and being a chronic pain sufferer that is big. I really don't miss much except water gets old.  Would love some other ideas.

Archived