First time...starting May 15th

playtruly

My naturopath introduced me to the Whole30, so I'm doing my research and preparation and have decided that Sunday, May 15 gives me plenty of time to continue reading up, do my shopping and get my head in the game. Looking forward to reading all of your experiences. Not sure what to expect, but it's helpful to know that there's such an active community out there - willing to share and assist. Would love to connect with others who will be starting on the 15th as well!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will also be starting on the 15th! I've been looking for a thread of people who are doing the same. This will be my 5th Whole30. I feel WONDERFUL during and immediately after a Whole30 but am still working on some food addiction issues which I hope to pay more attention to this go 'round and especially in the reintroduction period.

Hi MaggieMae!

My name is Heather and I'm thrilled to have a buddy :) I'm starting to work through the preparation steps, going through my cupboards and fridge today and will be making my last grocery trip on Saturday to begin on Sunday. I'm already having "withdrawal" feelings and I haven't even started yet!! I've done many many (many!) elimination and other similar diets over the years, so I'm not at all initimidated with that part. What seems altogether different to me about this process is that it does seem to address, finally, the emotional piece of re-crafting our relationships with food. At 45, I have high hopes that I'm finally ready to deal with this stuff in a more "permanent" lifestyle-changing way. So, food addiction...check!! That's a big part of my lifelong experience and I'm very happy to walk through this next 30 days with someone who gets that.

I also have some gut issues (don't we all, after treating our bodies so badly for so long?!) that I'm hoping to continue to make progress on. With the notable exceptions of when I go WAY off my intentions, I have had no eggs, dairy or almonds (of all things, boo!) in my diet for several years - on the recommendation of a nutritionist, after an IGG blood test - so I'm hoping to find my way through this Whole30 without eggs...that seems to be the hardest thing to work around for me here, since eggs appear to be a big staple for a lot of folks on the diet. I'll be looking for some suggestions about that on the forum.

Please let me know how I can support you and thanks so much for saying hello!!!! Countdown to the 15th!!

I am starting May 15th as well and would love to join your group if possible! I am 42 and have treated my body poorly for way too long! I need some permanent changes and will not be getting any support at home. My family is great but they are not going to do this with me and are not very good at holding me accountable. They just want mom to be happy but what I really need is some tough love on the Homefront!

I am making my own fridge and pantry shelves, meal planning and prep work so ready for Day 1 on Sunday!!! Ready to get this thing started! That's what I keep telling myself anyway. Lol

I day left My grandson had his 4th birthday party yesterday and i have a friends wedding today! Im excited to start and have you guys here too. I also will not have any support on the home front. I dont think my husband tries to sabotage, but he refuses to participate in " giving up" all that this plan requires. We will see how it goes. i know im addicted to sugary stuff and that its having negative effect on me. I have Crohns disease and its kind of in remission, but it seems my body in general has inflamation, so im hoping this is the answer. Well, here is where i would usually say good luck, but i dont think its luck we need...lol whats the word im looking for? Tenacity. Gather up all your tenacity! You can do it!

I started today.  I am looking forward to a new relationship with food.  I had already dosed down on the amount of alcohol I was drinking so that won't as hard.  I will have to get better at food prep, meal planning and cooking.  Historically, it has not been my strength but I will make improvements.  

I'm starting 5/15 too!

This will be my second round.  I did 60 days starting in Lent and had fantastic results but then I went completely off the rails.  I'm looking forward to starting tomorrow.  I have a week's worth of meals planned out and will start prepping tonight after a dinner party.  My last hurrah before we start!

My only concern with starting back up again is I had some awful stomach/digestive issues last time.  I suspect that it was made worse because I went into the plan at the tail end of a stomach bug.  I hope that this time I can get a handle on anything before it starts.  I know to stay away from any nuts, seeds or nut products or any particularly greasy meats like homemade breakfast sausages.  And coconut products seemed to be an issue too.  

Looking forward to spending the next 30 days with you all!

Oh my goodness! I'm thrilled that there is such a great group to start with! It's 12:01 a.m. on the 15th, so I'd better get to bed to start tomorrow with a reserve of rest. I did do all my shopping today, which was a huge feat since I tend to shop for only 1-2 days at a time. Shopping for a family of 4 for a whole week means a bit of sticker shock and the need to make a ton of room in the fridge. But it's done, and I'll we'll see throughout the week how accurate I've been in my planning!

I've decided to use Melissa Joulwan's Well Fed meal planning, at least for this first week - and hopefully for the duration of this Whole30. But I'm realizing tonight that I still don't really know what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow! I'll do a little more planning tonight, just so I don't panic. And then I've scheduled several hours to do the majority of my food prep for the week, tomorrow - after breakfast and before getting into the garden :) Hoping for decent weather.

I'm wishing you all - and myself - an easeful transformation into a more healthy lifestyle. But even if it's bumpy, I wish us all the tenacity that Yia-Yia has conjured, and the grace and humility to share our struggles as we go along - and to revel in our successes. To joy!!

I trust that everyone started the day with a good Meal 1 (breakfast).

Mine was 3 eggs, heaping cup of tomatoes and onions, olives and olive oil in a scramble. Of course I had my coffee with coconut cream.

Hope everyone is doing well. I now realize i dont like coffee. It was that extra sweet vanilla creamer that i found appealing. I think its gonna be tea for me when i want a hot drink in the morning..lol Other than that my day has been pretty glitch free. Feeling pretty good. How is everyone else doing?

Pinterest is my best bud this go around!  I found some great recipes, made a weekly schedule and woke up ready to go.

I made a Tomato, Spinach and Ham Fritata with a side of Raspberries for Breakfast.

Lunch was a slow simmered Pot Roast with Carrots and Onions along with mashed potatoes.

For Dinner I had this fun Gyro Loaf I found on Pinterest with raw onions, cherry tomatoes and olives.  Also with a side of Raspberries.

I've really been slacking on my exercise so I'm putting just as much emphasis on fitness as on nutrition.  I started back up the Couch to 5K program with Week 1 Day 1.

Overall it was a good day and I'm looking forward to the next 29!

I also started my first Whole30 today 5/15/16. I would love to be in a group with others who started today. 

My day went well. I almost bought the siracha at Whole Foods and at the last minute I put it back and bought

chili pepper flakes instead. My dinner tasted totally fine without the siracha. So I guess you could say that I experienced my first victory!

So wonderful to hear how everyone's day went! I spent most of the day in the garden clearing out the last of the beds and planting seeds! So satisfying. And the kids played outside most of the day - with a couple more kiddos over for a play date. Regardless of the activity, and because I had prepped a bunch of veggies and protein - I found it super easy to come inside, fire up a saute pan and have a great meal. Drank tons of water today - and because I'm sure I've been retaining a bunch of water because of less-than-stellar food choices before today - I had to keep taking off the gardening gloves and boots to come inside and pee!! But there are worse things, for sure.

Felt kinda weird to start the day with a vegetable stir fry with leftover steak slices, but I added a couple of slices of grapefruit to make it feel more breakfasty :) I haven't eaten dairy or eggs (or almonds) for a few years (on the advice of a nutritionist, after an IGG blood test) but I'm considering testing some eggs (or maybe starting with duck eggs, which didn't show up on the blood test as much as chicken eggs) to see if I can tolerate them again. He said that I may be able to bring them back after they've been out for awhile (is 2 years enough?), but I just didn't want to start day one with that added complication - until I've gotten down the routine without eggs first. It does seem that eggs can be a big staple for some folks on Whole30!

Anyway, the other two meals were pretty easy. Now comes the challenge for me: kids are in bed and I'm headed downstairs to fold clothes and hang out with my husband before I read and go to bed. But this can really be the witching hour for me...which means the snacking hour. I'm an actor, and very used to late night shows - which also means that I'm no stranger to eating an entire meal (with a glass of wine sometimes) after 11:00 p.m. So, that's gotta go! Three meals feels right, and I'm sticking to my pot of herbal tea for the evening. Thanks for sharing all of your experiences, everyone!

Looks like LydiaJo and BigMamaBird are two of our advanced members - thanks so much for joining us! Nice to have a little perspective from those who've done it before.

LydiaJo - may I ask what you mean by coconut cream in your coffee? Is it just pure coconut milk - as long as it's unsweetened? Or something different? Because I've been off dairy for so long, I typically drink black coffee - so that's not a struggle for me. But I often do (not today) put unsweetened hemp or coconut milk in my first cup of the day. I was fine without it this morning, but just curious about the compliant options.

All of your meals sound wonderful! And I'm definitely gonna check out BigMamaBird's Pinterest idea for recipes. Do you just search for Whole30?

Courtney, thanks for the reminder about things like pico de gallo and salsa's with no added sugars. I love that stuff and it can be such a great way to spice up veggies and meat (and eventually maybe eggs? Not sure about that one for me, but we'll see).

And Yia-Yia - I meant to tell you earlier how brave (and smart) I think it is to be doing this even though your husband isn't fully on board. That definitely makes it harder - but good for you!!!!!! We'll be your buddies - and who knows, maybe he'll come around someday. Regardless, you'll be a better wife and friend if you're taking care of yourself the best way you know how. Good on YOU.

Did you know that Theraflu and Mucinex has aspartame, saccharin and sucrose?? I started yesterday but have a sinus infection which I made worse by mowing grass in the snow. I don't know what made me read the cold medicine bottles but no go on relief. Any suggestions.

Reading labels is going to open my eyes to the sneaky sugars or sugar substitutes that I've unknowingly been putting into my body.

Eating was sparse because of the clogged head/chest but I stayed on plan.

BigMamaBird, I will do the couch to 5K program with you if you give me a few days to feel better.

Archived