First time...starting May 15th

playtruly

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morning!

ek_02 one thing I've found with bloating (which drives me crazy too) is taking a couple of caps of magnesium citrate (which almost everyone is deficient in) before bed helps dramatically with, ahem, digestion/elimination. You can just adjust the amount you're taking until the plumbing is working properly.

One thing I'm noticing is that I get "hungry" but it's not really hunger, it's a low blood sugar issue, because I'm not stomach hungry, just craving food and feeling cranky. I think it's going to take awhile for my body to adjust to tapping into it's fat stores....which is interesting because I think I'm fairly fat adapted, in that I can exercise with no issues on an empty stomach, but obviously I've been relying on the coffee/cream thing A TON to regulate blood sugar swings and energy. So trying to manage the adaptation phase while NOT snarking at my family all day, because it is definitely effecting my moods!

Hi everyone

Hope it's OK if I join in a little late. I started on May 15th, too. I completed a W30 back in Oct but failed two subsequent attempts so I am nervous about this attempt. I am just taking it one day at a time. The hardest part for me is not snacking and getting meal portions down since I was such a grazer. So I am writing down times I eat and amounts to see if I can stretch it out a bit. I learned a few things on the first W30 that I am still doing. I am hoping to make a few more permanent changes this time around as well as have a few non-scale victories such as clearer skin. I also hope to get off the crazy roller coaster of exercising after I ate too much. I want to exercise for enjoyment.

Looking forward to the remaining 23.5 days with you all.

How is everyone today?  I’m already having crazy food dreams; I think my brain is resigned to the fact that there are no excuses this time, so I need to start dreaming because it’s not happening in real life! 

AB_MN:  Welcome, glad you are joining us!  I hear you about grazing! I don’t like to feel too full, so I ate small meals and would grab snacks between.  I found out that for digestion to work properly (especially for people like me who have digestive issues), one should not eat for 4-5 hours between meals (look up MMC, migrating motor complex).  So with the protein added (even just an egg) I can go longer between meals.  The first couple of days I wrote down everything I ate and at what time, but I just can’t keep up with that, so now I mentally make a note of the time I finish eating and set a goal to wait 4 hours before I can eat anything again.  If I find myself in the kitchen out of habit, I get water (albeit not the crunchy snack my brain was hoping for, no--not even a handful of almonds, so I am sure I will have some entertaining dreams – movies all night, what an added benefit!). 

LindyLou – in addition to s-j’s suggestion of magnesium citrate to get things moving (very helpful), if it’s more that you just feel like it’s too much meat, add veggies.  I made chili but added carrots, red peppers, and lots of zucchini (which also stretches it farther for the family), and I made stuffed peppers and added shredded carrots, zucchini, and celery to the meat filling.  Oh, also I read somewhere about white sweet potatoes tasting less sweet and more like regular potatoes, so I found a couple, and it’s true.

I’ve been checking out a ton of cookbooks in our library system’s great selection, but the Whole30 one isn’t there, stravajunkie!  I may have to buy that one.  I did check out “It Starts With Food,” which I hadn’t read before because I thought I would be reading what I already knew, but it explains the science of food and food’s effects really well and simply – I should make my kids read it.  Mebaer2000, it also explains autoimmune issues (great job of 8 months clean eating, and thanks for the encouragement). ek_02, I hear you about being overwhelmed, I feel like I am either cooking or doing dishes all the time!  I’m glad we have some experienced W30ers telling us it’s all worth it (in the book, too of course).  LydiaJo, hang in there, we can get through the entire 30 days this time without starting over!       

Time to prep more for the coming week so I can be as prepared as playtruly and not miss any adventures – sounds like a super fun day you had!  Sharon, I love your plan of 3 veggies and 2 proteins at any one time in the fridge. I can’t wait to try the breakfast pumpkin recipe – thanks for posting that, AngelEyz!  I wonder if it freezes well – will let you know.   

Morning!

ek_02 one thing I've found with bloating (which drives me crazy too) is taking a couple of caps of magnesium citrate (which almost everyone is deficient in) before bed helps dramatically with, ahem, digestion/elimination. You can just adjust the amount you're taking until the plumbing is working properly.

One thing I'm noticing is that I get "hungry" but it's not really hunger, it's a low blood sugar issue, because I'm not stomach hungry, just craving food and feeling cranky. I think it's going to take awhile for my body to adjust to tapping into it's fat stores....which is interesting because I think I'm fairly fat adapted, in that I can exercise with no issues on an empty stomach, but obviously I've been relying on the coffee/cream thing A TON to regulate blood sugar swings and energy. So trying to manage the adaptation phase while NOT snarking at my family all day, because it is definitely effecting my moods!

Stravajunkie- this is interesting to think about when we really feel like eating but aren't hungry that we are tapping into fat reserves. I hope that's the case :-). I am totally having craving s now but not hungry. Sooooo weird how that works. -and my blood sugar feels ok, maybe starting to drop as it's been four hrs since lunch.

Also I hear you about cream and sugar in coffee --- one of life's true pleasures. I missed it terribly at farmers market today by just having a cup of black coffee. I was okay not eating all the other food they had for sale there but felt so deprived with just black Java. Bought some fresh asparagus and morel mushrooms. So, trying to stay positive. I also liked your earlier post about five minute distractions. I have thought about that quite the last few days.

I survived the convention!  Those cinnamon roasted almond people just about did me in though.  Every time I walked out into the hallway I could smell it and desperately wanted some.  But I held out and made it through.

We had some serious upheaval around here yesterday.  My MIL had a serious fall and was rushed to the ER.  Everything has been up in the air, stressful, uncertain.  The perfect storm for some serious emotional eating.  So far so good.  I'm glad I"m on plan.  If I wasn't this would be prime "Eat an entire pint of Ben and Jerry's by yourself" kind of night.  But I've got my La Croix and an episode of The Office and I'm fighting the sugar dragon.

AB-MN I hear you on the snacking/munching at meals thing. That's been my biggest, well, not "non scale victory", since I'm still very much wrestling with it, but insight on the W30: Put food in it's place. It's fuel. Super enjoyable fuel, but fuel. Not therapy, not a best friend, not a means of stress relief, not a way to deal with moods and emotions...etc. Of course that's easier said then done, but slowly learning to eat 3 meals a day and not snack has created space for me to start learning all kinds of new and healthy ways to feel better, find entertainment, celebrate and enjoy life. As long as I have the crutch of junk food and munching that doesn't happen for me.

Christine_that's a really interesting rule of thumb you mentioned-4 hours. I like that....

And Bigmamabird, huge kudos to you!! What an awesome example of dealing with real life, WHICH IS NEVER PERFECT (learning to deal with that is part of growing up I guess !?!?) and not make it worse by making choices in the moment that make us more miserable in the long haul.

Have a great day everyone and keep on truckin'!

I survived the convention!  Those cinnamon roasted almond people just about did me in though.  Every time I walked out into the hallway I could smell it and desperately wanted some.  But I held out and made it through.

We had some serious upheaval around here yesterday.  My MIL had a serious fall and was rushed to the ER.  Everything has been up in the air, stressful, uncertain.  The perfect storm for some serious emotional eating.  So far so good.  I'm glad I"m on plan.  If I wasn't this would be prime "Eat an entire pint of Ben and Jerry's by yourself" kind of night.  But I've got my La Croix and an episode of The Office and I'm fighting the sugar dragon.

Big mama bird - sorry to hear about MIL. Hope she is ok. And I know exactly which roasted almonds you mean. The smell so good!!! Way to go.

Stravajunkie - thanks for thoughts about what food really is, and isn't. Something to mull over next time that I fell like eating. Do I need this fuel.

Has anyone been reading about the new guidelines that they have to print type and amount of added sugar on labels? Will be nice onto know. guessing now it is bundled in with natural sugars amount.

Have a great day everyone. We have one week behind us!! Starting week two today!

Just checking in.. I had a great day yesterday, but i have to give credit to the beautiful weather. Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy I have been having crazy dreams too Last one was about cotten candy! I dont even like cotten candy! I can tell my taste are changing already because i can taste the sweetness in some vegetables, and fruit is just devine. Im still struggling with being hungry between meals, but it is slowly changing on its own. I ask myself if broccoli sounds good, and it does, so i know im truely hungry. So i make a " mini meal" but have been doing that less now. Found out i cant drink black tea either It gives me heart burn. I dont think i would have been able to pin point that before. I count that as a non scale victory! hey, i have a question, is anyone else experiencing muscle cramps?

I just got back from a weekend trip and I managed to stay mostly compliant. I packed food from the fridge for the drive up, then hit the Whole Foods there the next morning to stock up. During family meals (Chinese banquets with set menus) I selectively ate the plainly cooked meats and stir-fried vegetables. It was impossible to avoid whatever soy sauce had gone into the making of the dishes. But if I had not eaten at all, it would have been too socially weird. I feel good about how I navigated it. My main goal was not to break down and face plant in a bag of chips and Oreos, and I hit that goal. The first time I did the Whole30, a weekend of travel ended a 7-day streak, so this trip was definitely a step forward.

I'm now back at home and spent today stocking up at the grocery store and meal planning. Reading this forum all through my weekend was really motivating so thank you all for your posts Christine, BigMamaBird, LydiaJo, AB_MN, Yia-yia, stravajunkie, LindyLou and PlayTruly for starting this thread. 

You guys!!  Whole30 is totally working!!!

My 10 year old daughter had four friends over today to make cake pops.  My entire dining room and kitchen was covered in frosting, bits of cake, melted candy coating, decorations, etc.  And I didn't eat a drop!!  I didn't even want to!  Before Whole30 I would have been cleaning up and munching on the leftover bits and ruined cake pops.  Today I just swept everything into the trash.  The compulsion to eat it wasn't there.  I won't say the Sugar Dragon has been slayed, but it certainly knows its place.

I'm outrageously proud of myself and so thankful to have found this program!

I started on 5/16 and just joined forum so have been lurking.

Wrote in another post about how I'm surprised that cravings have NOT been an issue, but I have missed the emotional comfort from food (wine, cheese, bread). Wanted to be more positive here and say I have been proud of my not having cheated--even while making family dinners (non-compliant ones) and breakfasts and lunches! -- and I even called my husband to report that Ben & Jerry's was on sale for $2.50(!!!) and would he like some. I chose and bought four cartons (ones I would like to watch him eat!) but haven't caved. I feel strong like bull.

Hey guys! Glad to hear the success stories above. I navigated Sunday successfully and that was a win because the unstructured nature of that day is hard for me. Too much nut butter and dried fruit but nothing off plan so I'm still in the game. Definitely seeing a continuation of lower energy riding. No zap. So I am trying to be very dedicated to the pre/post workout meals (which I've kind of ignored in the past) to see if that will help. To stay motivated I got "It Starts with Food" on audible on my phone so I can listen to it,to help remember WHY I am doing this ;)I am still struggling with the not eating between meals thing,NOT because of hunger but because even though I previously "didn't eat between meals" I also previously had an everlasting cup of coffee and cream...so learning just how addicted I was!! I am seeing how essential the little exercise bursts are for me-when I am mentally and emotionally slumping and really craving a hit of carbs/munchies, MOVEMENT makes me feel better IF I do it...

Well, I'm back after 2-1/2 days of a nasty stomach flu!!  Very very happy to want to eat anything at all again, but it was still challenging to get through it and stay on plan (strangely enough).  All of the "go-to's" that I grew up with, like saltines and ginger ale, just aren't in the picture.  So, I started with "fizzy water" to make it through the worst of it - and once I started wanting to try food: I just really had to ask my body what it wanted.  Turns out what I wanted was blueberries...and so I started off with fizzy water and blueberries.  Tried to add some cashews next, but that wasn't happening.  Then tried one or two strips of the leftover steak in the fridge, and that - surprisingly - did the trick.  Before I knew it, I was able to add back in the veggies.  Today I'm back to full meals and feeling much better.  I'm hoping tomorrow I'll have enough energy to exercise again.  Will start with some simple yoga asanas and see how it goes.

I'm just loving the way everyone is supporting each other on this thread, and thrilled to see that we keep adding new folks too :) Welcome, AB_MN and I think I may have already said "hello" to mebaer2000, christine_ and Sharon! - but if not, HELLO!!  Your posts, and your recipes are all fantastic!

My recipe hint is for steamed broccoli. I top it with melted ghee and a few dashes of toasted sesame oil. It gives it a rich nutty flavor but stays on plan. No more boring broccoli.

THANKS for this great broccoli idea, LindyLou.  I'm always a broccoli fan, and so are my kids, but even I have to admit that it can get boring sometimes.  I'm gonna try this.  And I've got that Pumpkin Custard on my list too!  It's gonna be a great Week 2!  For those who started on the 15th (Sunday) I think this (Monday) is the end of Day 9, right?  Holy Cow - already almost a third of the way through!!

Awesome success stories everyone. This is the end of my day 8, and I've also not fought cravings higher than a level 4 on a ten scale -- wondering when that's going to hit. I'm also curious about the dreams... no weird ones yet. If I'm honest with myself I've been more lazy than fatigued lately, but I'm going to change that up tomorrow with a three mile walk.

I'm feeling so much better now that the first week is over.  I had told my husband I was going to quit on day 5 because the constant stomach ache was so awful, but he told me to get through the weekend (I think he wanted me to eat everything I had already bought :)  ).  The weekend brought different side effects, but Monday brought new life.  I did not expect to feel quite that awful considering I ate fairly healthy prior to starting.  I assume there were more hidden gems in the food I was eating than I thought, which brought on the pain.  My bloating has decreased significantly as well.  I am definitely feeling more energy and better about accomplishing this now.  I used to snack between breakfast and dinner, but I don't feel the need anymore.  I also, have noticed I am not finishing my cup of coffee in the mornings.  I think I was a bit overwhelmed in the beginning and am starting to get the routine down too, which is making it easier and not as stressful.  One thing I have noticed when working out or during my usual running/walking the dogs, is that I sweat more than I had previously.  It's been pretty humid here, but it still feels like it's pouring out of me.   

Good morning,

I am starting day 11.

Glad you are better playtruly. No fun to be sick. Way to stick to the program!

Ek-02, nice work with the snacking. I am working on that. What a huge change in habits.

AngelEyz, I never have had the dreams either. Maybe you are just a deeper sleeper and don't remember them?

My biggest change is waking in the morning. For about last week, I woke before alarm. I usually get up at 5:00am. I am consistently waking up at 4:30, sometimes dozing, sometimes just getting up. I think it is the hormones. Before, I usually had cookies and milk before bed. Now I am not eating after dinner. That has to be it. Sometime I am hungry in morning, sometimes kind of naseous. Anyone else having that?

My biggest challenge for the 30 days is coming up. We are going to family reunion Sat. I am contributing food to the potluck so will bring compliant food. But it will be a willpower test not to eat all the other stuff. I can do it. After that, we are headed to someone's cabin for rest of weekend. I won't be doing the cooking . I am thinking about bringing some things to keep In suitcase or purse like compliant beef jerky so I can get some protein for breakfast. Any idea about how to get veggies for breakfast? I don't want to be up at their house at 5:00 cooking up veggies :-). Would be kind of weird...Also, not drinking alcohol will be really hard. I may bring some kombocha or sparkling water to have instead .

Anyway, hope all of you are still in this. We are over 1/3 done!! Way tot go.

AB_MN That's going to be tough being at someone else's cabin. For breakfast veggies, you could bring a couple sweet potatoes to microwave. I don't think that would be too intrusive. When I was traveling with family over last weekend, I would eat what I could at the family meals. It usually was not enough food for Whole30 so then I would eat afterward as well to make up what I didn't get enough: for fat I would eat half an avocado or a handful of olives, for veggies I ate some roasted squash I picked up earlier in the day. This sometimes meant I had to eat in the car in between places I had to be.

ek_02 I felt like I was sweating profusely today as well. I wasn't even exercising -- I was just in the office. I'm usually a pretty dry person so I don't know what's up. 

I'm starting Day 10. I have been waking up tired the past two days which has been disappointing. I suspect some food I ate was contaminated yesterday -- some grilled meat that came from a restaurant, I took a chance on some pho broth on Sunday.  I hope this clears up so I can get to the point where I'm waking up before my alarm goes off. 

Tonight my husband cooked up a tri-tip steak and made some guac and I made two simple stir-fries: 1. cauliflower with garlic and ginger, 2. cabbage and bacon. What we cooked should last us until dinner tomorrow when I'm planning to make Cracklin' Chicken and Broccoli with Bagna Cauda.

I love how you're thinking ahead about this weekend, AB_MN.  That's gonna make all the difference.  Is there a stove there?  I know it's someone else's house, but consider talking to your hosts in advance about doing exactly what you're dreading...asking them if they would mind if you used the kitchen to quickly cook up some food before everyone else gets up.  It doesn't have to be a disrespectful thing - nor does it need to pull focus or become the center of attention.  It's something you're doing to improve your life, and friends will hopefully support you in that effort.  Your alcohol replacement ideas are really good - I'm gonna remember that this weekend too.  It's one of the things I'm starting to crave, but I think it's mostly the social aspect.

My stomach flu symptoms are long gone (thank goodness), but I had already started in with some head congestion, low-grade fever (only at nights and early in the mornings), and general lack of energy prior to the stomach bug.  Unfortunately, all of that has continued into this week and it's starting to really feel like a bummer!!  I'm starting to wonder whether the Whole30 is forcing my body to clear toxins.  Or at least I'm telling myself that this is a good thing and to keep going!  But a little energy boost would be so nice...I haven't exercised since the stomach bug hit because the extra energy just isn't there.  Hmmm...I wonder if even just making sure to get in a quick series of sun salutations each day would be helpful.  I have been walking everyday (about 20 minutes, because I walk my kids to school every morning and usually walk to pick them up - but it's not exactly a heart-rate challenging pace!)

Anyway - onward.  I'm struggling with breakfasts.  Not getting very many veggies in there, except sweet potatoes, and avocado (really more in the fat category).  So more veggies is my biggest focus for the weekend.  Doing pretty well with veggies for lunch and dinner...but could do a little more to improve the ratio.

AB_MN yes  you can do it. To keep things simple at the cabin, you could bring a small cooler with a bunch of pre-chopped fresh veggies (peppers, tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, cucumbers....or stuff like mushrooms if you like them...) then store them in the fridge at the cabin...easy meal = put protein on top of them and pronto! A meal! Nowadays everybody and their ever lovin' uncle is on a food plan of some kind for allergies etc. What works for me is to just say I'm working on eliminating some food reaction issues (even better if you indicate some kind of health provider recommended it) and so I have some short term food restrictions.

I have noticed being warmer too, ek_02. I notice it especially after I eat something with a lot of coconut oils, so I wonder if it has to do with eating more (good) fat?

I am working very hard on my snacking stuff, trying to switch to tea, and what I'm finding is if I wait until I DESPERATELY want almond butter and raisins it often doesn't work but if I work on the habit of drinking tea (and liking it...) when I'm NOT experiencing big cravings, it feels more natural to whip up a mug when I am struggling....

My motto this week is "move TOWARDS peace (move! Draw! Do something!) instead of running FROM tension (escaping by munching)

I am most certainly not waking up before my alarm hauls my sorry tail out of bed but that has to do with chronic sleep deprivation which I am trying to find a solution to....

Archived