Starting tomorrow, May 12th!

tassyc

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi! I'm also starting today. This will be my second try... I failed the first time because I was feeling awful by my 5th day, this time I know that it's expected to feel that way the first days. Please let me know how you are doing! Lets finish this thing!!

Hi!

I started May 12th also. Can I be friends with you guys through this thing?

My first day was a crazy start, I had to fly to another state and attend an awards event and dinner!! But manage to maintain the Whole 30 rules, albeit with a bit much fruit and nuts I think!

Hope yours are going well!

Hi everyone. Have done a couple of days of this now, and feeling not too bad, but REALLY missing sugar in my coffee  :( (I'm a 2+ kinda gal!).

Decided I would do this on a whim at about 11pm Wednesday night, then jumped in feet first Thursday morning. 100% how you're not supposed to do it. However not really a whim, as have been thinking about doing this for the last few years, but have been waiting until finished having children and breastfeeding. Five now, and I think we're done! Just stopped bf-ing as well. (I know you probably can do this while pregnant/bf, but I didn't want to. Didn't have the energy!)

Anyway, that's me. I'm writing a bit about it here http://whole35.tumblr.com (35 is my age), saving recipes etc. 

Hi old woman!

Hahahaha. ....I've got 20 years on you.

Four kids, two beautiful grandkids. I used to live in a shoe, too!!

The past few months my energy has been low. I've never tried an all-out food program, and thus one makes sense. I hope to change the way I look at food because I LOVE it a little too much.

Lisa

Hi Lisa!

Haha, I know I'm not that old... it's more the too many kids/don't know what to do!

I don't have a problem with food exactly, except I hardly eat any of it. I'm too busy at meal times (we home educate, so the children are there at every one). I normally finish whatever the children have left, and then am too tired to eat anything not in a packet. I regularly skip breakfast/lunch/dinner. So I guess this is for me, rather than the 6 people I normally look after!

Congrats on the grandkids. My oldest is only 10, but I'm wondering how many we'll end up with!

Am going ok today. Have just cooked ground pork/chicken drumsticks/butternut squash and roast potatoes (doing a Well Fed cook up) so the next few meals are sorted. 

I MISS SUGAR IN MY COFFEE SO BAD  sorry...

Clare x

Good morning, Clare!

I home schooled my kids, too! It was a great time in our lives...and my older ones thank me for it. My younger ones didn't get quite as much school at home before I just couldn't do it any more with an absent husband and running a business. ...

Please please please, if you can, slow down just a little and take a wider perspective. (I'm putting on my mommy hat for a second.) You must take care of yourself first. It seems wrong, but it's not. Make a meal for all of you, and sit down WITH your kids at each meal. Lesson planning and teaching algebra and keeping on track with your plans are important, but time at the table with your family is even more so. It's a refueling time in more ways than one! Clear the table of books, and sit all together. Open up a new topic. You don't have to talk about what the kids have been learning. This is a great time to stop teaching and be a mom. You know what I mean!

Since you're making some big changes to what you eat, now would be a good time to change how you eat.

Wishing you the absolute best! Keep me posted.

Lisa

Aww, thanks Lisa. That's such good advice, and so true! I spend meal times reading books aloud, or doing "morning time" or, in the evening, tidying the kitchen while Andy (my husband) sits with the children (it's kind of a break for me, but so important to be with them too, I know).

I will definitely think about the HOW, and not just that WHAT. 

It's 6pm here in London. Where are you? x

Hi everyone!

Nice to have you here!

So, I seem to be doing ok here on day 3, yesterday woke up with a screaming headache, just as the book said we might. But today I feel good.

Very wise words from Lisa up there Clare, you have to have some calm moments to take care of yourself and meals should be a time when everyone knows they can relax together.

I'm in awe of you both home schooling, that is so impressive!

I'm English too and used to live in London, but I live in Salt Lake City, Utah now, which is an amazing place. And, no, I'm not a Mormon!

Hope day 3 is going well for you both. Keep fighting the good fight!

Hannah

x

Oh! And I am loving my slow cooker again! Has been sitting gathering dust at the back of a cupboard the last couple of years, but I made a big pot of pork loin with ginger and scallions and sweet potato and carrots on day 1 and it was so good. And as I eat the last of that today I can smell the beef brisket that is bubbling away in there today ready for tonight and tomorrow.

Bison bars are pretty delicious on a big hike also.

And finally I just read in the book that Dallas and Melissa Hartwig live here in Salt Lake City also!

Hx

I survived a church lunch today! So gutted, loads of amazing food (stews, curries, stuffed vine leaves, rice, sausages, etc etc) :(

But, I bought my own packed lunch and was able to have some fruit, salad, prosciutto and shrimp that were served.

There was also another lady there who had done a whole30 (not so common in the UK) - she was very encouraging, it really helped to have someone there who understood. And she lent me the Whole30 book (although I'm pretty sure I'll be getting my own copy - looks really good).

My slow cooker is broken but the oven has a slow cook function so I'll be using that. 

Hope things went well with you today! xx

Shaneeva, welcome to Day 4, and our little support group! I hop we you're doing well and falling into the groove of this lifestyle without too much trouble.

I'm finding it helpful to look ahead and read posts from those who started on May 9!

Clare, I'm so proud of you navigating the church social without a hiccup!

Lisa

Good morning :) (in London, anyway!)

Had a lovely breakfast of smoked salmon, sweet potato hash and homemade mayo. I also had half an avocado for something green, but won't be doing that again. Avocado for breakfast, yuck. Love them at other times though.

Benefits I've noticed so far - clean-feeling teeth (especially when I wake up in the morning). Dry skin on feet getting better. Hayfever symptoms not so bad (although could be coincidence). Feel more awake in morning.

These are all good things, and at the moment I have no desire to go back to eating the way I used to. But I wasn't expecting this to be a long term thing, and it's sure expensive!

Slipped up :( Tasted my daughter's porridge to see if it was cool enough to eat - totally unconscious action! Gutted. Won't be starting again as have timed this to end with a family holiday, but will definitely be watching myself more closely around the kids' food. 

Archived