Starting tomorrow, May 12th!

tassyc

Hi all, 

WOW! They were not kidding about days 7-8, I have been absolutely wiped out!!! totally crushed. SOOOOOOOOO tired!!!

I napped for 2.5 hours in the middle of the day yesterday and an hour late morning today. Thank goodness for working from home.

Would write more, but can hardly lift my hands onto the keyboard! :D

Well done Clare for resisting all the goodies at your mum's place.

Hx

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hannah, you are doing amazing! All those small changes add up to a huge change. You should be really proud of yourself. You are an inspiration.

Clare, we had our book club the other night, and it was so hard not having the snacks and wine with everyone, but I just stuck to my bottle of water. I've been drinking a lot of sparkling water to break up the boredom.

I've been lacking energy a lot. I've been napping with my twins everyday. I'm hoping the good part is coming like they said in the book.

I just baked some Plantains, and made some tomato sauce to mix with ground beef for dinner, plus some guacamole and carrots. 

Hope your day 8 is going good!

Hello Ladies!

You all are so amazing! I love reading your posts and hearing all about your dedication to lifestyle changes.

It's been a really great 2 days for me. I've been walking-- a superfast 4 miles yesterday and a more leisurely 5-1/2 miles today. The weather has been gorgeous and it's supposed to turn cold and icky tomorrow, so it was good to fit that in. I feel all-over good sore. I've been of hibernating lately, and it feels good to get out!

My food journey is much the same as yours. I made an amazing salad for lunch today using the Asian vinaigrette recipe. I sliced up cabbage, added a mango and some chicken breast, along with 1/2 a small avocado. Delish! Tonight I made butternut squash soup to go with the leftovers from the brisket. It was definitely a soup night!

Shanneva, you have twins? my goodness, girl, you must be busy! How old are they?

Clare, you are so sweet and dedicated to your family. It shows even in your posts. How is the baby?

Hannah, I've been thinking about changes I want to make in my life! While in the midst of successfully making changes to my food choices, I feel empowered to make more changes.

Here goes....

Body Image

I've always struggled with my body image. My sister was the beautiful one, I was the smart one. (That's Linda on the left of my photo, Mom's in the middle, then me. I don't think you can see my other sister at the other side of me.) I've always had extra padding, except for a short stint where I worked my butt off (literally) as a maid in a hotel. :) My ex-husband never bolstered me in the area of my self-image. So I remained 10-15 pounds overweight, and now that I'm older I feel frumpy.

I've never really tried a diet at all, instead I would just try to "eat less", so this program is new for me. I have always tried to cook and serve real food-- never was one for frozen prepared things. I like to cook, and that was a good thing while raising my family. I made it a hobby. And I LOVE to bake! It's one of those things that fulfills me. And warms my home, and the bellies of those I love.

What I hope to change here is the way I look at food, and figure out what works for me. Stop being emotionally dependent on food. Losing weight is a good thing, but my goal is health. Now that I'm getting older, I'm more sensitive to things like caffeine and sugar. I want to avoid health challenges like diabetes and cancer by diet now rather than medication later!

And it would be GREAT to improve my self-image! I'd like to feel strong and slim, beautiful and confident.

Other things

I need to be in bed earlier.

I need to limit screen time. I love the idea of no screens after 8! Did it last night. Knew I wanted to post today, so I'm doing this now. Stayed away from posting at work both yesterday and today. Yaayyy! Living honest is good.

TV isn't a problem for me-- it's facebook and stuff like this. :) Or a good book. Or a game. I can find lots of things to keep me up at night.

I want to become more confident in myself in general.

I want to become more active. I have a lot to do at home-- but a homebody is not what I want to be. I want to be more active like Hannah! (I tried rock climbing last summer, and stand up paddle boarding. This year I had my first real ski lesson. I'm trying!!)

That's it for now. No more screens.

Happy Day 9 tomorrow!

Lisa

I do not feel good today :( Tired, crabby, a bit achy (but it's also my time of the month). Blurgh. I really really really want some bread.

Baby's not quite so poorly, thanks. Temperature down a bit, but still wants to be held all the time. She's got more teeth coming through!

I woke up to bloat. Double bloat! One... like the book says for Day 9, and Two due the four cups of cabbage I ate yesterday in my delicious salad. I paid the price and started this morning with an antacid.

Feeling good now!

Clare, glad to hear your little one is feeling better!

Ready, every one, for Days 10 and 11? These are the highest dropout days. Hang in there!

Wonderful sharing Lisa, thanks so much, helps a lot to hear other people's stories! Great that you tried rock climbing! I'm a climber and I really love it! 

Hope the bloat feeling has gone for good! I haven't had that, I'm feeling fairly perky now. Although I think I'm eating fruit too much, I mean it's not that much, but 3 portions a day with meals and it always feels like a treat, which then feels like I shouldn't be having a treat... Oh the mine field of the mind!!

Hopefully this is a chance to just expand your cooking love into a new zone of food. I'm loving my new cook books!

Well done Shanneva and Clare for soldiering through the gamut of book clubs and church events and child care demands and parental cooking! Makes my life seem very simple!

SCREW YOU DAYS 10 and 11!! We aren't going to drop out!!

Hannah

Good to know those are the most likely days to drop out. I was having all sorts of doubts today because I'm super bloated, yet super hungry. I was thinking I was gaining weight and what the heck am I doing this for, but I'm sticking to it.

I finally found some Mayo and Salad dressing at Whole Foods. I was too grossed out to try making with a raw egg. 

My husband is going to grill chicken tonight, and I'm going to bake some potatoes and maybe squash. 

Today I didn't plan ahead. I ended up touring Reno and Sparks with one of my kids who is looking to move. I thought she wanted to see only one apartment, but we saw about 12! Ended up at a deli around 1:30. I asked for a special salad, which was in theory at least, on plan. I used a few drops of hot sauce for the "dressing", and it was enough to give a little punch. The trip tip was sliced super thin, for sandwiches, but it worked just fine with the spinach and cucumber. It was so nice of them to put it together for me!

I still feel a little bloated. I'm going to wait it out. I'm sure my body is adjusting to new foods. I can't wait to see what changes this brings!

Clare, thanks for the tip on Pukka tea. I found it on Amazon but it's a little pricey. I'm going to keep my eyes open!

Shanneva, I'm so glad you're sticking with us. This is hard work, and you've come so far already!

I'm still feeling bloated too. So much that even my pants don't want to zip. Ugh. But, I made it through a picnic/party today. I planned ahead and brought my own food. Been trying not to snack today, and so far, so good.

Off to Trader Joe's to get a few more supplies :) Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Hi everyone, am still here! Had a crazy weekend - we now have a dog. A 1 year old beagle mix, rescued from Spain. It's brilliant to have him, but a lot to deal with. However have managed to stay as compliant as I could while out for dinner with Andy on Saturday, then travelling to get Oscar the dog on Sunday morning. Did not eat very well Sunday - lots of fruit because that's grab and go. It's a pain cooking so much for every meal - I cook from scratch, but normally just the main meal of the day!

Lisa I can see your testing post - hope that's sorted.

Shanneva, hope you're feeling less bloated today.

Hannah - what kind of dog do you have?

Nearly half way... xx

xx

Awe. Your dog sounds really cute...I love Beagle mixes. 

I have successfully made it through the morning without a snack, and the bloating seems to be going down. I'm going to try spaghetti squash tonight with the pesto sauce I made and froze at the beginning. 

Lisa, I can see your posts too.

Day 12! Woo Hoo! 

I'm enjoying a green salad today with olives, chicken, red pepper and artichoke hearts. Dressing is okay... homemade mayo spiced up a bit.

Has anyone been drinking bone broth? I made some yesterday so will start tomorrow after I skim the fat. There are so many details to this program, and this is one I forgot! If I can stomach the broth, I hope it will help strengthen my nails. They're so brittle and dry!

To this point, I have been using only clarified butter and olive oil for cooking. I have made some schmaltz and will try that too.

Day 12!

Hannah, are you still with us? :)

Drank bone broth this morning. It was actually pretty nice. I'll let you know how things go with that!

I feel positive about all the changes in my diet, in my body, and in my life. I feel more aware, more awake. It's a good thing! My clothes are fitting better, and I love that!

I must say I haven't had extreme ups or downs during this experiment. I did sort of ease into the program, though, by cutting out most breads and sugars a couple weeks before my start date.

I'm a little tired today, and my legs feel tired, heavy.

I'm generally getting to bed sooner on a regular basis. I had one night I was up til the wee hours and I paid for that the following day.

Hey everybody! Tomorrow we're halfway there...can you believe it? Is everyone still with us? I'm less bloated today, but discovered that it was not only due to food, but to that womanly time of the month. Still not back to my energy, but had a really good workout on Monday. I couldn't workout yesterday or today because my oldest is home sick from school.

Hope everyone else is doing good.

Today has felt very easy - no struggles with food choices at all. I haven't wanted anything I'm not supposed to have, and haven't felt hungry either. And it doesn't require so much brain power to put meals together - all good things! 

Am not thinking this is IT though - had a wobble a couple of days ago when there was fresh baked bread on the counter, lemon cake and chocolate bars... Argh! That was the closest I've come to caving in, but somehow managed not to. Had a Nakd bar instead that evening. I know you're not supposed to feed the sugar dragon, but felt it was an emergency  ;)

Hope you are all feeling well, and family members are all better. The dog is settling in OK - spends a lot of time snoozing, and a lot of time barking  :wacko: (well not that much but it feels like it!) but hopefully is just getting used to the place. Has come from semi-rural Spain to London, so a huge upheaval.  

Today has been easy for me too so far. I brought my own lunch to the company barbecue amd that was fine, really. I didn't even want to look at the desserts because everyone knows my weakness for good chocolate!

After dinner is hardest for me. And we have a get together tonight at 7 with my Bible study friends.....based around dessert. I think I'll take some blueberries. (Clare, you would love them! Liz is from London and she raised 4 beautiful kids, homeschooling here in the States. Her husband is Scottish.)

Is it just me? Food tastes amazing! Everything!

Salmon tonight over a bed of spinach and tomatoes, sauteed kale with almonds a little squeeze of lemon. Yummm. Curried shrimp, sweet potatoes, cantaloupe-- everything is just delicious.

I made it through Bible study not even wanting to taste the store-bought cheesecake and such. I'm so glad Liz didn't decide to bake-- going into her cozy home to the aroma of freshly baked scones might have pushed me over the edge!

I've noticed things seem to taste sweeter too....which is awesome. I used to put so many sweeteners in my tea, and now I'm able to drink it without any. That's not sweet, but fruit and especially sweet potatoes taste really good. Can you believe we're over halfway thru? I'm really not experiencing any weight loss or energy yet, but I'm hopeful maybe this next week.

I struggle with snacking when I'm cooking. I've told myself that I'm extending my mealtime! Seriously. In the instance of making a sunshine sauce today, I had to taste it to make sure I had the seasonings right. My "snacks" are always compliant, but it's the habit that's a problem. But I realize that I'm not doing myself any favors if I'm not breaking bad habits, and allowing my body to rest and digest.  I do much better when I'm at work!

As far as the bone broth, I'm sticking with it. I have my second batch simmering now. I am battling what may be the onset of arthritis, so if I can stop it in it's tracks, and strengthen my joints, I'm gonna do it. Plus, I find that I really like it! It's rich and tasty and salty.

My favorite meal so far was a perfectly cooked burger patty and greens with fresh basil, blueberries, and avocado. I was hungry-- didn't even wait for my daughter to sit down-- and wow, I felt like I was in heaven!

I found a GREAT post here on the forum site. It's titled something like "Don't overthink this...." It's a moderator's post. See what you think. I think it's very encouraging.

Weather is gorgeous here today! I was invited to dinner at a friend's house (my Londoner friends) and I hope I can safely navigate all that. Both Doug and Liz know I'm doing this thing. I'm bringing veggies and compliant dip-- but I'm nervous.

Archived