Mayo failure

LO867

My first batch of mayo, made in a blender, did not emulsify at all. It was a tasty disaster! Even prior to adding the lemon juice it looked curdled. I followed directions exactly. Any clue what happened?

(My second batch, made in a bowl with a hand mixer, turned out perfectly.)

Some people just seem to have trouble with blenders in that the speed generates heat which prevents the ingredients from emulsifying...

There are a huge number of threads on the forums regarding mayo which may be of use to you.

The best way of searching the forum is via Google - type in 'Whole30' + 'your query' (in this case 'mayo fail') and it should bring up quite a number of links to past threads...

• 2 weeks later...

I had two failures. One where I heated the eggs as suggested, one where I didn't. Today I made Mayo and it worked.

I only put in egg yolks to begin with, and about a tbl spn of oil, with the mustard and whizzed. It didn't thiken. So I warmed the oil on a double pot over water. Only just tepid. Then I put a half a tspn of cidre vinegar in the whizzed mixture and began adding the tepid oil.

It thickened almost as soon as I added the vinegar and whizzed adjusted for lemon juice and a pinch of salt as I went along.

Added the oil really slowly and at the end added the egg whites.

I've got the best Mayo I've made so far. It's almost too unctuous.

I failed a mayo in my Ninja blender, then waited until my new stick blender came in (the last one stopped working), and now every single mayo comes out perfectly.

And I've become addicted (almost).

Sometimes I think I should pretend that my stick blender is broken again... the mayo is just too delicious.

:wub:

I've made mayo once, and it worked, though I didn't think it would.  my stick blender is broken, so I'll look at a replacement.

I added too much salt as well.  advice on the internet is to add oil really slowly.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I've tried twice to make mayo but although it 'worked', it tasted horrible!

The 1st time I bought some quite expensive olive oil (that won a taste award) but all I could taste in the mayo was the olive oil and it wasn't very nice. The second time I made it with a mixture of avocado oil and some new 'light and mild' olive oil. Unfortunately it still tasted bitter and, I think, too much of the oil. I would like to get it right because I love mayo. Is it just the oil or could it be something else?

Thanks, Aidan

Hi Aidan - yep it's most likely the oil....

Regular extra virgin olive il makes awful mayo, and I think avocado oil can be a bit of an acquired taste although it works well half and half with coconut oil... Tesco do a walnut oil which works well - it gives a nice nutty flavour - but lots of people use just the light & mild olive oil with good results. It's all about personal taste I guess.

• 1 month later...

After a first attempt worked beautifully in my Ninja blender I had 3 consecutive fails with exactly the same method.  All ingredients were room temp, did exactly what the book recipe instructs, yet all 3 attempts never emulsified at all; were watery, separated, thin disasters. Read that the Ninja may run too hot and not allow for emulsification.  

After wasting almost 4 cups of light olive oil (as well as eggs, etc.) I got on this forum and read an immersion blender suggestion to NOT drizzle the oil in but rather put all the ingredients in a high container wide enough to hold the blender and blend from the bottom up.  I did hold the lemon juice out until it was emulsified and mixed in later.  It emulsified in seconds and tastes great, much easier for those of us struggling with mayo fails.

If you have a Costco nearby, get the 2-pack of light olive oil. It is about $13 and you can make over 6 months worth of mayo with it. I will never buy mayonnaise again. I just put the egg and lemon juice/vinegar/etc. in the processor and let it come to room temp. Have not had a fail yet. Good luck!! I love mayonnaise on everything.

Frankly, as long as you don't have problems moving you arms, use a whisk to do you mayo. Sometimes, I even use a fork or a spoon, and I never fail. 

Also, it tastes better when you put a little effort in it ! :D

I made some at the weekend.  one egg in the jar, oil on top, salt, blend with stick blender.  it failed.  added lemon juice, but not enough, then ACV, but not much, blended again, no dice.  cracked another egg into another jar, added some of the liquid dressing, blended, got thick, added more of the failed dressing, blended, it all got runny again.  added more ACV, and all the rest of the failed runny mayo - blended again, in short bursts.  still runny.  got frustrated, as my stick blender is almost broken, and keeps slipping out of the motor, so this was taking me ages holding it together.

gave up and put it in the fridge for half an hour, came back and blended again, and it all went thick and like mayo pretty much straight away!

hopefully I'm getting a new stick blender soon...

I made basic mayo last night so I could use part of it for the Steak Salad dressing.  Frankly, the mayo was pretty bad--was it because I didn't use light olive oil.  I didn't have any & didn't think it would make any difference.  My husband didn't even finish his salad because the mayo-based dressing was so...off!  Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give me.

Update--no need to respond.  Just read posts about full-on olive oil making mayo bitter.  Yes, it does.  Will go to Costco & pick up light olive oil.  

First attempt: food processor with wrong oil... broke and tasted aweful so chucked it.

Second attempt: blender with right oil was super runny but tasted good ... chucked it though as I wanted MAYO not runny messy stuff!

Three times is indeed a charm! I used my kitchenaide mixer with the wisk and it was so easy and quick to do! I used a measuring cup with a pour spout to drizzle my oil into it while balancing the cup on the rim to keep it a slow drizzle.  It was creamy and delicious!

I have made about 3 batches now of the good stuff (ranch dressing used up one) and the whole family is happy with it.

Archived