Can I just reintro good craft beer?

Hello!
I am on Day 18 and moving right along! Whole30 has been an amazing experience for me thus far. I am just thinking ahead to re intro. I really want to continue with Whole30 and living within the guidelines that it provides. Is it possible just to reintroduce good craft/organic beer and nothing else? And just continue along my happy Whole30 way of life?

Slowly of course, I don't plan to have 5 beers my first day. Thoughts? I really have no interest in reintroducing dairy, and gluten etc. Is this a bad idea? I know this whole experience is about the experiment and the re intro, but I don't want to welcome those foods back into my system!

Thank you in advance! 

• Moderators

Part of why the vast majority of people ought to do reintroductions is that, at some point, you're going to be in a situation where there just aren't Whole30 compliant foods available, and it's helpful to know how you'd react to different things so that you can choose the least bad options. You can do reintroductions, and then go back to Whole30 eating with occasional offroading for a beer, and then, if you're in a situation -- say, a close relative is in the hospital and you go to stay with them, or you suddenly have to go out of town for work or for a family emergency -- you'll know your personal reactions to things. Maybe you find out you're so lactose intolerant that even a bit of butter in something is enough to cause issues, so you always avoid anything cooked in butter, but grains don't bother you too much -- in that instance, if you're somewhere that they've cooked all the vegetables in butter, you might actually be better off with a sandwich.

Certainly, you don't have to do reintroductions, you're an adult and get to make that decision for yourself, but there's really no better time to do them than now if there's anything you're at all curious about.

(I'd also point out that beer is both alcohol and grains, so if you have a negative reaction to it, you'd probably want to go back and do separate reintros of those two things anyway to find out which you had a problem with).

Hi Shannon,

I am on day 24 today, woo hoo! I am planning out the re-intro schedule for my husband and I. Day 30 is next Tuesday, May 24th so we will begin re-intro on Wednesday, May 25th. I am  hoping to just do a quick 7 day re-intro because my 30th Birthday is on Wednesday, June 1st!

We have decided to not re-intro Dairy at all and I am even thinking of not even trying Legumes....

Here is what I was thinking (using the info from the website)

Wednesday June 25th-Day 1: Evaluate legumes, while keeping the rest of your diet Whole30 compliant. Try some peanut butter on your green apple with breakfast, a bowl of miso soup at lunch, and a side of black beans with dinner, while paying attention to how you feel. Then, go back to the Whole30 for the next two days, and see how things go. Pay attention, evaluate and decide how, how often and how much to incorporate legumes into your regular diet—if at all.

Saturday June 28th -Day 4: Evaluate non-gluten grains*, while keeping the rest of your diet Whole30 compliant Eat a serving of white rice, some corn tortilla chips, and a slice of gluten-free bread, while paying attention to how you feel. Then, return to the Whole30 for the next two days, and see how things go. Pay attention, evaluate and decide how, how often and how much to incorporate non-gluten grains into your regular diet—if at all.*Corn, rice, certified gluten-free oats, quinoa, etc.

Tuesday May 31st -Day 7: Evaluate gluten-containing grains*, while keeping the rest of your diet Whole30 compliant Gluten is such nasty stuff that we want to break it out from the other grains, so you can evaluate it all by itself. Over the course of your day, eat a muffin, two slices of whole wheat bread, and a side of whole wheat pasta, while paying attention to how you feel. Then, return to the Whole30 for the next two days, and see how things go. Pay attention, evaluate and decide how, how often and how much to incorporate gluten grains into your regular diet—if at all. *Anything made from wheat, rye, or barley.

Now I know the order is important correct? or No? I was thinking of trying to flip flop my original plan and trying the gluten-containing grains first... then non-gluten...then possible alcohol (so I can have a drink on my 30th birthday!) This way I can get gluten out of the way and try it separately from alcohol. 

Let me know what you think! 

THANK YOU! 

• Moderators

You can do them in any order you wish, Just only do one at a time,for one day, then go back to whole30 for at least two days or until you feel back to 100% if that takes more than two days.

This sounds like a good plan.

If you like craft beer, but are not sure about the gluten, you could do worse than trying organic craft cider.

it's made from apples, and nothing else!  it's got to be good for you right?!  You have to make this before you can make apple cider vinegar, and that's W30 compliant, ... :)

I make my own cider, and sometimes beer, but I always wash and sterilise all equipment - negligible chance of any gluten from making a beer getting into a cider.

I've never heard of wheat-paste coated barrels either... but there you go.

possibly if you put your cider to age in old oak whisky barrels, you might get some grain/gluten residue from the original mash that the whisky was made from... but again unlikely. 

The worst thing would probably be in a comercial cider where they only use 35% apples, and then add stuff like HFCS to make up the fermentable sugars.

Archived