Struggling to manage to eat around exercise

Hello, not sure if this should go in troubleshooting or athlete. But while I'm definitely NOT an athlete, I do quite a lot of exercise based activities. I'm also a little overweight, so definitely want to lose weight on Whole30. Subsequently I'm not eating any starchy carbs after exercise, unless it's a really long workout. I'm currently on day 4, but I have done two cycles a couple of years ago. 

Even with that though, most of my exercise is done before a meal. E.g. this morning I did a 45 minute bootcamp (on empty stomach as I didn't have time to eat), then immediately ate some cooked ham beforethen cycled to work feeling slightly sick for eating the ham. I then get to work and struggle to eat breakfast (eggs, vegetables and blueberries) as still full from ham. Tonight after work I'm going climbing. I'll be there for about 3 hours, and then will go home and eat dinner. Should I be trying to fit in MORE food around climbing too? 

On a normal day I either do bootcamp or climbing, Friday is the only day I double up. But even still, I find it hard to manage the extra meals worth of protein.

Any suggestions?

Laura

It's not a full meal's worth of protein post-workout. You only need a couple bites, so you may be having too much post-workout. 

Do you usually work out on an empty stomach or was today an exception? If today was an exception, then that could be why you were feeling sick. 

I don't normally eat around bootcamp, until breakfast when I get to work. I normally grab something before climbing because I'm hungry, but then I normally graze all afternoon on low fat yogurts or fruit, so even if I don't climb I often eat between work and dinner!

@laura - the book says a whole meals worth of protein post workout, and a few bites before.

We don't encourage the weighing/measuring of food, but around 25g of protein is all you need post work out - anything more than that is surplus to requirements.

For preWO if your WO is at any time other than pre breakfast you may find that upping the protein & fat content of your earlier meal might be enough.

If your WO is first thing and your first meal of the day will be more than an hr after wakening then we'd recommend a few bites of protein/fat - although some people find just fat works better for them.

I'm planning on playing badminton at lunchtime - I had breakfast at 6.30 and usually have lunch between 12 and 2.

should I eat before badminton, or afterwards? do I need extra to cover the workout?

previously I'd eat lunch after coming back from badminton (I've not played at lunchtime for several months)

I brought extra food with me to make a large and a small meal if necessary.  it's now 11.30 ish, should I have something small now, at least an hour before workout?

Archived